PDA

View Full Version : The Death Of Mistakes Means The Death Of Rock

SEAWOLF97
12-25-2017, 10:23 AM
https://www.npr.org/sections/monitormix/2009/11/the_death_of_mistakes_means_th.html

It is, of course, The Beatles' "Rain," as great a rock recording as anyone's ever made. And it's full of mistakes, accidents and inconsistencies that would be utterly unacceptable by the pop-music standards of 2009.

Ducatista47
12-25-2017, 11:37 AM
It is soul killing.

I always enjoyed the way Rolling Stone's tunes had a vibe that seemed like the rhythm was being propelled and retarded at the same time. It reminded me of a heavy freight train braking down a mountain grade. The mystery was solved when I was reading a musician's magazine and an interview guest noted that Bill Wyman played a touch late. Sure enough, when he left the dynamic I heard disappeared.

None of this ever would have happened in today's environment. Not in the Top Forty, anyway. None of this issue has anything to do with tape, vinyl, digital or any other technology. It is all about post-production decisions.

BMWCCA
12-25-2017, 12:03 PM
And to think all this time I credited the Beatles with a sophisticated syncopation that was in reality . . . a mistake?

SEAWOLF97
12-25-2017, 02:11 PM
One TYA tune (working on the road ?) there is a momentary slow down. The liner notes stated that a groupie watching the recording session leaned against the tape machine. Nobody ever caught it, until long after the album was sold.

There are many other stories .... "Abraxis" cut with L/R channels reversed , Fleetwood Macs "Then play On" , parts 1 & 2 reversed ...etc.

we didn't even know those were mistakes ...except TYA's.

Oh, one last one ... Alvin Lee was in France at a cafe ...the jukebox was playing one of their disks (recorded at 33.3 on one side) in a 45 rpm machine ... nobody noticed it was a bit faster. ;)

YES, I'm the one person who actually reads liner notes.

Chevelle
12-26-2017, 02:45 AM
YES, I'm the one person who actually reads liner notes.

Do not stop doing this......

Happy holidays !

Hjalmar

SEAWOLF97
12-26-2017, 08:24 AM
Do not stop doing this......

Happy holidays !

Hjalmar

My daughter is an artist/part time radio DJ at a station in Whuppertal. She came home long ago and grabbed all my 60's LPs and her audience loves them.

Germany seems to really enjoy USA classic music .. ;)

PS. a really good web site for music trivia/history is www.songfacts.com

turnitdown
12-30-2017, 03:58 PM
PS. a really good web site for music trivia/history is www.songfacts.com (http://www.songfacts.com)

Thanks. Fun site.