PDA

View Full Version : 2234 baffle mounting advice

Sootshe
12-17-2017, 11:49 PM
So my new 2234 recone kits have a rubber O ring seal that fits in a groove at the rear of the mounting flange of the driver.

To my eyes, the driver cut out would need to be extremely accurate for this to seal against the baffle, as the groove that is cast into the frame is almost the same diameter as the driver cut out.....maybe a mil or two larger.
Is this the usual method of creating a seal between the driver & the baffle or should I use something like the cork or neoprene gasket like the one that is fitted to the outside of the frame.

Regards,
John

1audiohack
12-18-2017, 11:07 AM
You’re right that the cutout has to be precise to effectively use the O ring. If not, some form of gasket is the next line of defense. The O ring is hollow so it form fits without much force.

The JBL cork gaskets for use between the basket and baffle are only about 0.040”/ 1mm thick so it doesn't take much.

Barry.

toddalin
12-18-2017, 01:32 PM
If you can get access to a laser cutter, you can cut your own out of cork. I cut a pair of 5mm wide gaskets from cork for my 2251s and they just fill the trunkated portions of the frames.

Sootshe
12-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Thanks guys,

So I am on the right track then. Will see if I can get some of the genuine JBL gaskets, failing that, will make some cork gaskets myself.

Just don't trust the original O ring solution as the tolerances are so critical.

Cheers,
John

allen mueller
12-26-2017, 08:34 AM
I've been using adhesive backed foam either from parts express or McMaster Carr. I see your in Australia so you'll probably want to find a vendor closer to you.

Al