PDA

View Full Version : Lansing JBL early 32ohm 150-4 woofer terminal question

script56
11-23-2017, 09:54 AM
As you can see in the picture one of the woofers does not have a cork washer between the frame and screw terminal binding post. The terminal is not loose as if the washer has broken away over the years it looks original. Is this normal design for dual woofer setup or should I install the cork washer as seen on all other terminals?

Don C
11-23-2017, 04:11 PM
With no current path that I can see, it probably isn't hurting anything. But if the voice coil was to start rubbing in the gap somehow, there might be a low impedance current path, and your amp might be damaged. I'd replace the washer if it was my speaker.

Horn Fanatic
11-23-2017, 05:39 PM
As you can see in the picture one of the woofers does not have a cork washer between the frame and screw terminal binding post. The terminal is not loose as if the washer has broken away over the years it looks original. Is this normal design for dual woofer setup or should I install the cork washer as seen on all other terminals?

Greetings -

The washer is not made of cork. It is one of two phenolic shoulder washers per terminal. The terminal will unscrew, but care must be taken so as not to spin the solder lug on the back side which would rip the wire lead from the cone. It's been a while since I've seen that type of terminal. The terminal may have a threaded stud same as the type ALTEC used that screw into a nut on the back side. As with the ALTEC type, the JBL terminal may be serrated where it makes contact with the washer. If so, the terminal over the years may be biting through the paint, causing a possible short to the basket.

H.F.

script56
11-24-2017, 08:59 AM
Got it done. There was some distortion when played prior to repair. Not sure if it was my audio source or the missing washer. Will see soon.