PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Tweeters

Valveglow
06-05-2017, 04:29 PM
Is there a general consensus as to which is the more highly regarded JBL tweeter, the 075 Bullet or the 075 Slot Tweeter?

BMWCCA
06-05-2017, 08:16 PM
Is there a general consensus as to which is the more highly regarded JBL tweeter, the 075 Bullet or the 075 Slot Tweeter?Do you mean 077 "slot"? You should also include the 076 "Cat's eye" in your field of interest.

grumpy
06-05-2017, 10:37 PM
For what purpose? and why the question?

They are not interchangeable as generic tweeters.

Valveglow
06-06-2017, 05:16 AM
Do you mean 077 "slot"? You should also include the 076 "Cat's eye" in your field of interest.

For what purpose? and why the question?

They are not interchangeable as generic tweeters.

BMWCCA, Yes, 077 slot, a typo on my part; thank you. I wondered about including the Cat's Eye, but most high end restorations or DIY compilations seem to utilize one or the other of the bullet or slot designs (perhaps due in part to there being precious few Cat's Eyes in circulation).

Grumpy, I've long pondered a DIY JBL project for a second system, and am in the VERY early stages of compiling information for such a possibility. Also Grumpy, it is interesting that they are not interchangeable as generic tweeters. I have ZERO technical knowledge (but great enthusiasm) so please forgive questions spawned from a lack an electronics background. I've noted several situations where Kenrick Sound's KRS versions of JBLs feature bullet tweeters where I would expect to see a slot tweeter and wondered why and if there were a majority of individuals that felt one type of tweeter in particular was superior.

While I'm at it (and you are so knowledgeable) what is that driver I occasionally see in DIY / JBL clone photos that looks like a "LE 175 Driver/ 1219 Potato Masher Horn on Steroids" with a much larger diameter? It has intrigued me.

Thanks much to all.

grumpy
06-06-2017, 07:12 AM
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/pro-comp/2402.htm
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/pro-comp/2405.htm

mind the usable frequency ranges, frequency responses, and distribution patterns...

075/2402 can play lower (was used in many 2-way systems) but has
a flashlight-like beam pattern (conical). Particularly memorable in older 2-way
'hi-fi' systems, granting them a somewhat nostalgic mystique. These were also
used in Public Address systems and overhead dance clusters, where directionality
and penetration were of interest.

077/2405 can play a bit higher (almost always used in 3 or 4-way systems,
as it also can not play nearly as low). Has a fan-like beam pattern (wide/flat).

Both are very high quality and high efficiency and yet have both advocates and detractors.
Both remain repairable (diaphragms available). Both have an almost fetish-like following,
particularly older alnico-magnet units with original diaphragms (that may or may not
still produce sound within spec).

Personally, in use I've found I like the 2404 as much (perhaps more) than the 077/2405.

Big potato masher? http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1962/page04-05.jpg
... google "JBL 537-500"

Valveglow
06-08-2017, 03:38 PM
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/pro-comp/2402.htm
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/pro-comp/2405.htm

mind the usable frequency ranges, frequency responses, and distribution patterns...

075/2402 can play lower (was used in many 2-way systems) but has
a flashlight-like beam pattern (conical). Particularly memorable in older 2-way
'hi-fi' systems, granting them a somewhat nostalgic mystique. These were also
used in Public Address systems and overhead dance clusters, where directionality
and penetration were of interest.

077/2405 can play a bit higher (almost always used in 3 or 4-way systems,
as it also can not play nearly as low). Has a fan-like beam pattern (wide/flat).

Both are very high quality and high efficiency and yet have both advocates and detractors.
Both remain repairable (diaphragms available). Both have an almost fetish-like following,
particularly older alnico-magnet units with original diaphragms (that may or may not
still produce sound within spec).

Personally, in use I've found I like the 2404 as much (perhaps more) than the 077/2405.

Big potato masher? http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1962/page04-05.jpg
... google "JBL 537-500"

I don't want to be patronizing grumpy, but you possess encyclopedic knowledge of these things. From whence did it come? Did you design audio equipment as a profession? Your mention of the 2404 is very intriguing. I would imagine that the driver and the baby cheek horn is a super tweeter version of my 2425H driver and larger baby cheeks from my JBL 4435s. Am I correct here, of just making a judgement based on looks alone? Really, thank you!!!

grumpy
06-08-2017, 10:41 PM
...I would imagine that the driver and the baby cheek horn is a super tweeter version of my 2425H driver and larger baby cheeks from my JBL 4435s. Am I correct here, of just making a judgement based on looks alone?

Yes, similar radiation pattern in their intended ranges... and I happen to like the 4430/5 series :)

FWIW, I have nowhere near the knowledge or experience in speaker design that a qualified professional -should- have, let alone some of the other very experienced forum members here. For me, this is a hobby... but thanks :)

bldozier
06-09-2017, 05:18 AM
Hi welcome
maybe you meant 077/2405

I've read the silver round horned Drive is more commercially
sounding and used. I haven't used either
to date but own a pair of 2405s

please let me know your preferences once
you do have a listen see you around.

ivica
06-09-2017, 11:23 AM
Is there a general consensus as to which is the more highly regarded JBL tweeter, the 075 Bullet or the 075 Slot Tweeter?

Hi Valveglow,
For studio monitor design (3, 4 way) I would suggest
077 with blue diaphragm (aknico magnet) as the best,
2405 with gold colored diaphragm ( ferrous magnet)
2404 for 2way system
2402 for 2way system (something with E140 bass, in bass-horn and mid-horn loading box)

regrads
ivica

grumpy
06-09-2017, 02:20 PM
I can't say I agree about using a 2404H in a full-range two way, even though JBL almost used them that way in a popular compact PA speaker (almost, in that it had no actual bass driver).

2404H-1 was eventually put into that PA speaker for increased survivability when using that low of a crossover, IIRC.

... and personally, I wouldn't put a 075/2402 into a studio monitor at all, without a specific reason to do so. Others will likely disagree, which I'm fine with.

Valveglow
06-09-2017, 04:40 PM
Wow!! A wealth of information. I wish I knew how to properly spend that wealth!!