PDA

View Full Version : 045 Supertweeter Horn Dimensions

KCCT82
05-13-2017, 02:32 AM
Hello, I'm thinking about DIYing a small horn for my TAD ET 703 driver instead of the using the original TAD slot/horn). I'll be using it on top of a 1.5"-2" throat midrange horn like JBL's 9800/66000 systems. Does anyone have the specs for either system's supertweeter horn? The crossover point will be around 8k-10khz which if I remember correctly, iis about an octave lower than JBL's. Thanks:)

pos
05-13-2017, 03:12 AM
If you remove the original horn you will see that you will be limited in the profiles you can use.
Specifically rapid flare profiles like in the S9800 or DD66000 are probably impossible to do unless you add a small tubular part near the throat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CRVTd54-_8

KCCT82
05-13-2017, 04:12 AM
If you remove the original horn you will see that you will be limited in the profiles you can use.
Specifically rapid flare profiles like in the S9800 or DD66000 are probably impossible to do unless you add a small tubular part near the throat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CRVTd54-_8

Wow! Thanks so much, what a cool video, it's all French I never would've found it on youtube. I totally thought the driver was flat like most of the 1"-2" throat compression drivers we see around.

By the way it looks, I agree that's probably impossible to fit a 045 horn in there. But even if it's somehow possible, I wouldn't have the necessary skills or tools to make it. :o:

KCCT82
05-13-2017, 04:28 AM
Here is an image of what I'm trying to do. I guess I can always knock out my own little horn design, but I have no idea how it'll sound. I'm thinking the top and bottom should be asymmetrical like the TAD TH-2002 horn in my avatar. The bottom will almost be flat to get it as close to the midrange horn as possible. Top will be way more rapid and flare all the way to 90 degrees (tractrix). Left and right will just be whatever looks good, but the sharp corners might have some negative effects on sound (diffraction?). :dont-know: