PDA

View Full Version : Winisd and tuning.

FE3T
12-15-2016, 10:15 PM
As many hobbyists when loudspeakers are concerned i use Winisd as a tool to visualize the behavior of a driver/box combo.
BUT i have a few questions to how this relates to real world results.

Do you strive for maximum flat response? or do you go for a dip or a hump somewhere in the response
or do you tune for a response resulting in a flat response when corner or near wall placement are factored in.

And what about the voice coil inductance? do you factor that in when you simulate you dream speaker, or do you just consider it unimportant when simulating cabinets?

To sum my questions up: What curve are you trying too accomplish to get the best sound in a regular living room with a normal placement of the speakers? Ruler flat? drooping towards low end or rising towards the low end.

All these questions are something i was starting to wonder about when i tried a JBL 2122H in a box completely unsuited for it (according to Winisd)
a 30L ported box tuned to 40-45 hz, while it was far from flat and played the higher notes far to loud compared to the bass area, there was a certain magic with the bass it actually played. fast effortless and with excellent attack. Attached curve are WITH voice coil inductance factored in.

honkytonkwillie
12-27-2016, 04:49 AM
I have used WINISD a lot to visualize and learn, but I have measured exactly zero of my creations in-room and have listened to exactly one, with which I was immensely thrilled. It was a 5" Peerless 832592 which modeled really flat down to 40Hz or so.

I always enter the voice coil inductance if it's available. The axis scaling on WINISD makes things look funny sometimes. Your plot only differs about 4.5dB over three octaves, which is well inside +/- 3dB which used to me a minimum design standard or something. And room gain certainly lifts the response on the low end a good bit. But how much I wonder?

Wouldn't it be cool if modeling programs could calculate room gain or boundary reinforcement? Even for simple rectangular rooms would be nice. Maybe some of them do these days. The fact that our hearing isn't linear probably just complicates things.