PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of L-46 studio monitor, where to buy refoam kit?

maxserg
11-28-2016, 12:04 PM
A friend want to give me a pair of L-46 studio monitors(bought in 1984). Tweeters are fine but the woofer's suspension is rotten. And where can I order the right ones with the apopriate glue? I live in Quebec/Canada.

Thanks for your help.

Odd
11-28-2016, 12:27 PM
Rick Cobb
1044 Lightfoot Road
Wimauma FL. 33598-7702
U.S.A

[email protected]

maxserg
11-28-2016, 12:31 PM
Rick Cobb
1044 Lightfoot Road
Wimauma FL. 33598-7702
U.S.A

[email protected]

Thanks. Does he have a website?

maxserg
11-28-2016, 12:57 PM
What do you think of L-46 studio monitor ??

2 answers:

yes, I enjoyed them (for what they are) and NO,
what they are .. are NOT studio monitors.

they are consumer JBL... doubt that any have ever been inside a studio.

sorry ... I have a thing about that term being overused .

Yes that's I was thinking too :)

Do they sound more like the 4401? but with deeper bass? They seem to share the same tweeter...

rdgrimes
11-28-2016, 03:47 PM
Pretty much any of the 8" 2-way models sound great, better than the 10" L56 in fact.
The actual 8" 2-way studio monitors will have more in common with the L46 than not, but there's a couple with much better tweeters in them.

The 4401 is a L15, definitely not in the same class. 4408 is closest, but again with better drivers. The L46 sounds a lot like the L86, its almost as big but it does have that hole in the midrange. They're well worth a fix-up and listen.

Johnny_Law
11-28-2016, 09:48 PM
Is the consensus that it's better to use Rick Cobb's foam or better to find replacement plastic surrounds as were originally equipped on the 117H-1? Thanks.

maxserg
11-28-2016, 10:06 PM
Ok but dor free plus the job to do on it (refoaming) it worth it as ambiance (soft) music...

brutal
11-28-2016, 11:56 PM
Thanks. Does he have a website?

I think he cuts a better deal direct if you contact him via the email listed or if you want to pay more, e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-L16-L19-LX44-LX66-L46-L60t-LX500-4301-4301B-BEST-Speaker-Foam-Surrounds-/351450864382?hash=item51d41a9afe:m:ma8XRr3kXgoFnId dsYmXK5Q

Honestly, it's been a while since I've purchased any form him but always the best goto guy.

audiomagnate
11-29-2016, 01:43 AM
What do I think of them?

A: I love they way they look and think they sound OK. Midrange is a little weak and they don't go very low, but I used a pair in the bedroom for a while before replacing them with KLH 5's.

Refoamimg?

A: The original unusual foams are NLA but Mat Electronics foams (which don't work for "real" JBL's) fit perfectly, have the original roll diameter and only cost $5/ pair. https://www.matelectronics.com/audio/speaker-replacement-parts/foam-edge-for-8-speaker/

maxserg
11-29-2016, 09:14 AM
What do I think of them?

A: I love they way they look and think they sound OK. Midrange is a little weak and they don't go very low, but I used a pair in the bedroom for a while before replacing them with KLH 5's.

Refoamimg?

A: The original unusual foams are NLA but Mat Electronics foams (which don't work for "real" JBL's) fit perfectly, have the original roll diameter and only cost $5/ pair. https://www.matelectronics.com/audio/speaker-replacement-parts/foam-edge-for-8-speaker/

Thank you! For what I will use it it should be ok for me. Thank for the link! :)

audiomagnate
12-01-2016, 01:18 PM
Thank you! For what I will use it it should be ok for me. Thank for the link! :)

You're welcome. I realize now I was a little harsh on the L46. It's one of the best two way bookshelf sized speakers out there, and it looks terrific, grills on or off.

maxserg
12-01-2016, 08:53 PM
I went to the website and they are out of stock :(

maxserg
12-01-2016, 08:54 PM
What kind of glue should-I use for the foam?
Sorry for all those questions

brutal
12-02-2016, 12:31 AM

Rick includes a small bottle of PVA and a CD with a 20Hz tone for centering.

maxserg
12-04-2016, 08:31 PM
Is it the same as the lE-8 woofer?

audiomagnate
12-04-2016, 09:55 PM

Aleen's Original Tacky Glue

audiomagnate
12-04-2016, 09:57 PM
Is it the same as the lE-8 woofer?

Definitely not, whole different beast.

BTW, you don't need the CD either, you can use this website for the tone if you can connect your computer to your system: http://onlinetonegenerator.com/frequency-sweep-generator.html

Another odd thing about that series is that JBL didn't use a gasket on the tweeter on some (maybe all?) of them for some bizarre reason (to save a few pennies maybe?). If you do a sweep with the woofer reinstalled at high volume after a successful refoam you might hear a buzz at around 80Hz and think you blew it, but you didn't; it's the tweeter frame vibrating against the cabinet. Just add an improvised gasket, or even a little Mortite (google it) to the back of the tweeter frame. Even if you don't hear the buzz, do this anyway. One final note (I promise) is that you don't need to remove and replace the dust cap and use shims for proper centering on these (or most) woofers. Doing so is unnecessary and will ruin the original look. The spider is strong enough to keep the cone centered. Trust me on this. Atlanta's best speaker tech (hi Gordon!) is in total agreement with me on this point. Here's what they will look like when you're finished. Not 100% original, but as close as you can get because the unique shiny black original foams are unobtainable. Go for it and don't be intimidated. If you do mess up (you won't) you can always send them out. These are pics of the last pair of L46's I did. Note the original dust caps. With the new tweeter gaskets (if your pair doesn't have them now) they will be better than new, and the pride you will have from doing the job yourself is priceless. You might want to recap them (I would) as long as you have them apart, but I don't want to open that can of worms right now. Good luck!

audiomagnate
12-04-2016, 10:47 PM
I went to the website and they are out of stock :(

PM me your address and I'll send you a pair.

maxserg
12-05-2016, 04:10 PM
PM sent :)

maxserg
12-06-2016, 01:04 PM
Would it worth the extra expenses to recap the xovers? I could get some at Solen here in Quebec...
And if yes which ones should I change? Thanks!

P.S. Audiomagnate I didn't have answer for the pm I've sent you ... ;)

audiomagnate
12-06-2016, 06:08 PM
Would it worth the extra expenses to recap the xovers? I could get some at Solen here in Quebec...
And if yes which ones should I change? Thanks!

P.S. Audiomagnate I didn't have answer for the pm I've sent you ... ;)

The foams will be on their way soon. You are on your own from here. Good luck.

maxserg
12-06-2016, 08:48 PM

maxserg
01-31-2017, 03:35 PM
Done! :) Thanks alot audiomagnate!