PDA

View Full Version : 250ti Purchasing questions

SD Modiano
11-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Hi All,
I've located a pair of 250ti's on the other side of the country that I'm considering purchasing.

As I am unable to audition these, I'm attempting to perform as much due diligence as possible before fully committing to them.

The dealer claims that all drivers are original. He says the woofer surrounds have both been replaced. However, he says they were replaced individually about two years apart from one another. I am uncertain if this should be a concern.

The dome on one of the 104H's is crinkled. He claims the performance is unaffected by this.

As is somewhat standard on most of the 250ti's, the bottom lip on each cabinet has some chipping (see photos).

He is charging, what I consider to be, top dollar for this pair ($2800, plus shipping).

While I realize this is a personal decision, I am hoping to receive some feedback regarding the wisdom of this purchase.

Would I be better served to find something local to me? I live in Socal and there are many, many speakers available locally. Just no teak 250ti's.

I thankful for any feedback, opinions, and/or advice.

Lastly, I have more photos...if that would help.

rdgrimes
11-17-2016, 11:04 AM
$2800 plus maybe $400 in shipping gives you a lot of leeway for comparison shopping. Is there something you can find locally with 14" goodness to compare?
Point being that any of the various models with 14-15" woofers will have some things in common. Obviously nothing compares to the grace and style of the 250, but the value of that is up to you.

jblnut
11-17-2016, 11:10 AM
You are lucky enough to live where these practically grow on trees so I'd just be patient and wait for a local set. Leave the ones on the right coast for some local JBL fan to buy. It took me a year to find mine and another year to get them upgraded from L250 to 250Ti. It's worth the wait for the right ones.

And if some XPL200's show up first, go hear them before you decide...

jblnut

SD Modiano
11-17-2016, 12:03 PM
$2800 plus maybe $400 in shipping gives you a lot of leeway for comparison shopping. Is there something you can find locally with 14" goodness to compare?
Point being that any of the various models with 14-15" woofers will have some things in common. Obviously nothing compares to the grace and style of the 250, but the value of that is up to you.

I've listened to a pair of 4430's. With the pair I listed to, I found the highs to be lacking for my taste and passed. The bass was fantastic.

As far as comparison shopping goes, I'm currently being tempted by a locally available pair of B&W Matrix 800's...the BIG, funky looking ones that received a glowing review from Lewis Lipnick.

You are lucky enough to live where these practically grow on trees so I'd just be patient and wait for a local set. Leave the ones on the right coast for some local JBL fan to buy. It took me a year to find mine and another year to get them upgraded from L250 to 250Ti. It's worth the wait for the right ones.

And if some XPL200's show up first, go hear them before you decide...

jblnut

These 250's, as you know, are rare beasts....regardless of where you live. I located this pair purely by accident. I actually spotted them tucked into the corner of a photo advertising a different pair of JBL's for sale. I fear letting them slip from my grasp. I just don't want to pay top dollar for a beat-up set.

Curiously enough, there seem to be plenty of 250's in Europe...at least the LE piano black ones.

I was unaware of the XPL200's. Thanks for the tip, although I don't currently see any for sale....anywhere. Looks like another unicorn. I can be patient for "the right" speakers.

jblnut
11-17-2016, 12:14 PM
"be patient young Skywalker"....sage advice for Jedi or JBL shoppers alike.

You will find 10 more pairs in LA before another comes up on the East Coast...that is certain. They don't seem to be that rare out there and I can't count how many I had to pass up out there because of shipping concerns.

If you're willing to stretch some on the budget the Array 1400's are already into the $5k range. Might be worth a listen to those if you can find a pair.

Of if you are really up for something unique...these look...insanely awesome!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-JBL-XPL200A-Speakers-w-LE14H-1-Subs-BX63A-Network-Ashly-XR4001-Too-/112207649405?hash=item1a2018da7d:g:M9AAAOSw44BYLew w

jblnut

SD Modiano
11-17-2016, 12:22 PM

You will find 10 more pairs in LA before another comes up on the East Coast...that is certain. They don't seem to be that rare out there and I can't count how many I had to pass up out there because of shipping concerns.

If you're willing to stretch some on the budget the Array 1400's are already into the $5k range. Might be worth a listen to those if you can find a pair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-JBL-XPL200A-Speakers-w-LE14H-1-Subs-BX63A-Network-Ashly-XR4001-Too-/112207649405?hash=item1a2018da7d:g:M9AAAOSw44BYLew w

jblnut

Sage advice, indeed. Thank you. :)

I actually saw that pair you just linked when I did the XPL200 search.

I had no clue what to make of them. I'm wayyyy too much of a novice to even understand what this fellow has built. You think they may be worth a listen, eh?

jblnut
11-17-2016, 12:47 PM
He's got some quality parts in there for sure. You may have to supply a lot of discrete channels of amplification because he's using an active Xover, but that's not that hard actually. Any decent multi-channel home amp could get you up and running.

Not sure he'll get even close to that asking price...check in with him in a few months and see where he is at. At $3k it's just about a no brainer. At $4k you need a true JBL enthusiast with some deep pockets. And at $5.5k where he is at ? Probably a pretty touch sell....

jblnut

BMWCCA
11-17-2016, 07:23 PM
I'd say the pair of 250ti's you've found are overpriced for their condition by about $1000, even before you figure the shipping. You're lucky to live in California, as others have said. Just be patient and keep looking. The right pair will show up. This is how I found mine, about 100-miles from my house.

SD Modiano
11-17-2016, 08:42 PM
Thanks for confirming my doubts about this pair and for the solid advice.

I'll keep an eye out locally, as suggested. Something cool is certain to appear.

SEAWOLF97
11-18-2016, 09:04 AM
I've been watching the market on 250Ti's since buying my pair in 2008.

They generally sell in the $2,000 range ... very few go higher. And even at that price they'd better be near perfect. (except for the dreaded "skirt damage") . I really enjoy mine and bought them w/o having heard them in advance. They do NOT have the classic JBL "West Coast" sound. Probably more accurate. Lots of bass, when the program material actually calls for it.

SoCal should be a happy hunting ground for them, they will appear if you wait. Be willing to make a drive.

There are not really any problem areas. The 044ti tweets are vulnerable , and if you do buy the 250's, then look for a 044 donor set of lesser speakers for backups. (18ti is a favorite backup)

jblnut
11-18-2016, 09:27 AM
I'd be ready to send the 044Ti's out for replacement of the foam damper. Mine are getting done right now and I'm hoping this finally gets the high end to settle down some. Been trying to voice them with tube rolls and cables, but it was time for the big hammer approach.

That and a re-foam of the LE14H-1 and you'll be good for another 20 years....

jblnut

brutal
11-18-2016, 10:20 PM
I'd be ready to send the 044Ti's out for replacement of the foam damper. Mine are getting done right now and I'm hoping this finally gets the high end to settle down some. Been trying to voice them with tube rolls and cables, but it was time for the big hammer approach.

jblnut

I fear mine should be requiring some attention soon.

Bought them out of the Seattle area many years ago, and they have lived in our dry climate here so far so good, but the clock is ticking.

SEAWOLF97
11-19-2016, 07:10 AM
I'd be ready to send the 044Ti's out for replacement of the foam damper.

jblnut

If you are a quasi DIY person, we batted that op around in this thread ==>>

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29325-044Ti-questions-Help-needed&highlight=044ti

wsilva
11-25-2016, 03:13 AM
You might want to check these out: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/5869641645.html

Asking price is high, but you can always make a offer.

BMWCCA
11-25-2016, 06:43 AM
Sure looks like a stock catalog photo.
Even at the asking price, it's a better deal than $2800 and cross-country shipping!

For posterity:

JBL 250ti vintage speakers-colectors item! - $3000 (Redding)

https://images.craigslist.org/00X0X_kJV4emyKSKs_600x450.jpg

These are rare speakers! What's more rare is the condition they are in!! Excellent condition for there age. I also have an extra set of midranges and tweeters for these speakers. Woofers have been re-coned.
Call Doug at

SEAWOLF97
11-25-2016, 07:40 AM
Ojai to Redding RT is a nice days outing + you get to hear them before buying.

With the 4 extra drivers, you'd be set for the future. I think the LE14's may have
been refoamed, not reconed (as per his ad).

Get it down to 2.5k and you've prolly got a winner. :D

SD Modiano
11-25-2016, 05:44 PM
You might want to check these out: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/5869641645.html

Asking price is high, but you can always make a offer.

Thanks for the lead.
After backing out of the other 250's, I've broadened my search and am now considering everything from Vandersteen Model 5, to MBL 116, to JBL 1400's.

SD Modiano
11-25-2016, 05:50 PM
Sure looks like a stock catalog photo.
Even at the asking price, it's a better deal than $2800 and cross-country shipping!

For posterity:
Agreed on all counts.
The stock photo doesn't inspire confidence.

SD Modiano
11-25-2016, 05:51 PM
Ojai to Redding RT is a nice days outing + you get to hear them before buying.

With the 4 extra drivers, you'd be set for the future. I think the LE14's may have
been refoamed, not reconed (as per his ad).

Get it down to 2.5k and you've prolly got a winner. :D

Ojai to Redding is a FULL day's drive and would require an overnight stay, as well.
I may contact the seller to get some more details about this pair and hopefully some actual photos too.

SEAWOLF97
11-25-2016, 07:55 PM
Ojai to Redding is a FULL day's drive and would require an overnight stay, as well.

I know exactly the drive. Grew up in Santa Barbara and had friends in Red Bluff.

Used to drive from San Diego to San Jose in time for dinner . Drove from SD to Salem, Oregon in a FULL day.

If you really want a pair as you've suggested , that drive would not deter you .... heck I drove from Portland Oregon to Vancouver BC and back the same day for mine - 8 am to 1 am - 3 hours in listening demo and 2 more in line at the border.

There is even a thread here about how far LHF members have driven for the speakers of their desires. Most would have been VERY happy to only drive in-state.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29993-How-far-have-you-driven-for-JBL-s

Procrastinate and those SF guys may beat you to them. :banghead:

SD Modiano
11-25-2016, 08:18 PM
I know exactly the drive. Grew up in Santa Barbara and had friends in Red Bluff.

Used to drive from San Diego to San Jose in time for dinner . Drove from SD to Salem, Oregon in a FULL day.

If you really want a pair as you've suggested , that drive would not deter you .... heck I drove from Portland Oregon to Vancouver BC and back the same day for mine - 8 am to 1 am - 3 hours in listening demo and 2 more in line at the border.

There is even a thread here about how far LHF members have driven for the speakers of their desires. Most would have been VERY happy to only drive in-state.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29993-How-far-have-you-driven-for-JBL-s

Procrastinate and those SF guys may beat you to them. :banghead: My eye has been wandering lately. Like I mentioned a couple of posts ago, I'm considering a few options.

There's a pair of MBL 116's that are tempting the constraints of my budget. There's also a pair of JBL 1400's in San Fran.

Someone has also reached out to me with a pair of the black 250ti LE's.

I like to think that I'm enjoying the chase.:blink:

JuniorJBL
12-01-2016, 01:15 PM
If you are even considering the 1400 array, I would just stop there and pursue. I very much enjoyed my many pairs of 250's but in the end they could not compare to the 1400's especially the 14-3 with a rubber surround. The highs were much more enjoyable to my ears as well. That said I will always love the 250's for what they are! :)

rdgrimes
12-01-2016, 03:33 PM
^^^
What he said.

SD Modiano
12-01-2016, 08:56 PM
I wish the 1400 were a little closer. They're about an 8 hour drive away.

I'm going to audition a pair of B&W Matrix 800's (the big ones) this Saturday down in LA. If they don't do it for me. A trip to San Fran may be in my near future. Several others have suggested that the 1400 may be the speaker I seek.

BMWCCA
12-01-2016, 09:36 PM
I'm going to audition a pair of B&W Matrix 800's (the big ones) this Saturday down in LA. If they don't do it for me. A trip to San Fran may be in my near future.They won't!

I was unimpressed during the time I spent recently with the top-of-the-line B&Ws driven by probably twenty-grand worth of Classe amplification. Just no comparison to the way my 4345s replicate live-listening levels.
:applaud:

jblnut
12-02-2016, 07:47 AM
Personally I'd try and hear as many things as you can - we all hear differently. I know I may be in the minority but I spent 3 hours with a pair of 1400's armed with all of my favorite music. They were driven with almost an exact match to what I use with my 250's. I liked them a lot but they were *not* $7-8k better than my 250Ti's...not by a long shot. This was when they were selling for $10k a pair mind you. Even at $6k that's double what a really nice set of 250's will go for.

And oh that butterface...better make sure you have a dark room if you choose 1400's :-)

jblnut

Ed Zeppeli
12-02-2016, 07:58 AM
And oh that butterface...better make sure you have a dark room if you choose 1400's :-)

jblnut

butterface.:D

'It's a great face for radio!'

BMWCCA
12-02-2016, 12:17 PM
And oh that butterface...better make sure you have a dark room if you choose 1400's :-)As the owner of a pair of 250ti I think I can safely say that they're not the prettiest faces in the audio world, either! I actually think my 4345s fit into a room better than the 250s. :dont-know:

Mr. Widget
12-02-2016, 12:29 PM
As the owner of a pair of 250ti I think I can safely say that they're not the prettiest faces in the audio world, either! I actually think my 4345s fit into a room better than the 250s. :dont-know:Beauty is truly in the eye... I'm not a huge fan of the look of the 1400 Arrays, but I'd rather have them in my home than the 250tis.

I find the 4345s anonymous and unobtrusive as long as you have fairly large room. They are much larger in person than you might think they are just looking at photos.

Widget

BMWCCA
12-02-2016, 01:14 PM
BI'm not a huge fan of the look of the 1400 Arrays, but I'd rather have them in my home than the 250tis.

I find the 4345s anonymous and unobtrusive as long as you have fairly large room. They are much larger in person than you might think they are just looking at photos.Tried to find a photo of either the 4345 or the 1400 Array alongside any 250 for reference but was unable to do so. I'd probably agree on the aesthetics of the Array versus the 250.

At 52-inches, the 250-series dwarfs the 4345 at 44-inches and the 1400 Array at 46.5. :eek:

SD Modiano
12-03-2016, 09:25 AM
Glad you guys are having fun. :applaud:

FWIW, I've even considered the pair of 4345's in CO. based mostly on BMW's enthusiastic posts touting their positive attributes.
However, I also read a post by GT (here on AH) where he mentioned their shortcomings along with a few engineering tweeks to "fix" them.

I know you LOVE your 4345's BMW, I'm just not technically gifted enough for a project.

Mr. Widget
12-03-2016, 12:31 PM
Glad you guys are having fun. :applaud:Did you listen to the B&Ws? The MBLs? Anything else that blew you away?

Widget

BMWCCA
12-03-2016, 06:49 PM
FWIW, I've even considered the pair of 4345's in CO. based mostly on BMW's enthusiastic posts touting their positive attributes.
However, I also read a post by GT (here on AH) where he mentioned their shortcomings along with a few engineering tweeks to "fix" them.

I know you LOVE your 4345's BMW, I'm just not technically gifted enough for a project.I got sucked into this by reading the praise of the 4345 by others here. I intended to go for the L300/4333 but this pair of 4345s just appeared here on this list and I got into a conversation with the owner and couldn't believe no one here had already jumped on his offer.

Now I'm generally a purist in my collectibles. I go for the "survivor" vintage cars, the ones that haven't been modified or over-restored, so I get why my 4345 "clones" might not be everyone's cup of mud, but if it's really all about the music then I couldn't be happier. In fact, mine are likely an improvement over the originals. I know they're light-years beyond a 4333 or an L300, but that's not a secret here on LH. They're a very special JBL creation.

You don't need to do any of GT's suggestions to have a killer speaker. Most of what he suggests comes from technical improvements in crossovers, etc, over the decades. The best suggestion is to bypass the bi-amp switch and simply run them bi-amped with an external crossover. I use the Ashly XR1001 which is easy to find used or new, isn't expensive, and most here know it works well and is a bargain among electronic crossover. The isolation of the UHF with it's own amp isn't necessary though I'm sure GT knows what he's talking about! Remember, as GT said in his note (see my sig line) . . .

SEAWOLF97
12-03-2016, 08:02 PM
As the owner of a pair of 250ti I think I can safely say that they're not the prettiest faces in the audio world, either!

Have you actually heard yours :dont-know: (or are they just storage queens :eek:)

BMWCCA
12-03-2016, 08:27 PM
Have you actually heard yours :dont-know: (or are they just storage queens :eek:)I can look at them—by opening their boxes! I could play them but the surrounds are original and will need replacement before I'd feel comfortable with a rigorous listening session. I haven't even tried the amp I got for them yet, the Crown Studio Reference-II. Too many hours at work and too many other projects. Changed the oil in three 5-series BMWs on my day-off yesterday. Interviewing two other builders for our house next week. Already behind by about two months on that project. First things first. The 250ti are a perfect project waiting for the right time. Like so many of my BMWs!
:)

jblnut
12-03-2016, 08:58 PM
I will say that my rainforest redwood veneer L250s are damn pretty, but the later 250ti never came in this finish. The obelisk shape is iconic and has surprisingly high WAF.

With Giskard's special xovers and freshly refoamed 044ti's (courtesy of GordonW) they sound pretty damn nice too...

:)

jblnut

SEAWOLF97
12-03-2016, 09:45 PM
I will say that my rainforest redwood veneer L250s are damn pretty, but the later 250ti never came in this finish. The obelisk shape is iconic and has surprisingly high WAF.
jblnut

yes, they do seem to have a high WAF . People really like my teak veneer, I do too
Many that come over ask almost immediately "What are those" ??

I run them with 375wpc and a sub and really cannot ask for more than what I already have* ..:bouncy:

* somewhere on LHF there is a quote from GT about the comparison of 250Ti's vs. 4345's (PARAPHRASING: 250Ti is better right out of the box, but 4345 has more modded potential)

They WILL scale up higher** than I have a tolerance for

**w/o noticeable distortion.

SD Modiano
12-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Did you listen to the B&Ws? The MBLs? Anything else that blew you away?
Widget

Here's the lowdown....

Drove an hour and a half down to the LA area yesterday and began by auditioning a SOTA Star Sapphire turntable at a private residence in Redondo Beach. The seller also had several pairs of speakers for sale that we hooked up. We listened to Cabasse Farella 401's, PBN Audio Calypso's, Von Schweikert Audio FPS, and finally SB Acoustics XmaX. All were decent speakers, but none of them truly impressed me.

Next, I drove to Weinhart Design in Bel Air to audition the Matrix 800 and whatever else they might have on hand. It turns out, Bob Carver was there giving a presentation of his "Amazing Line Source" speakers.

At about seven feet tall and remarkably thin, the Carver speakers completely filled the room with crisp and clear audio. A pair of subwoofers added the thump that the speakers alone could not acheive. While the mids were fairly realistic and the highs were crystal clear, I would compare the overall sound as similar to wearing a pair of headphones. For me, it was difficult to identify the positioning of any of the musicians on any of the various recording that were played. They made all the recordings have a similar "enveloping" sound. Reminded me of that Bose sound.

There were several recording industry folks at the reception. A fellow by the name of Bruce (didn't get his last name) began to tell stories of various recording sessions with some very big name artists...Michael Jackson and the like. His breadth of knowledge was both impressive and overwhelming to a neophyte like me.

Once the majority of the people who had come to see Bob Carver began to dissapate, the process of setting up the Matrix 800's began.

I had brought along a copy of one of my current favorite LP's, Maddogs and Englishman, specifically side 3. The initial comments from the group in the room were..."this is one of the worst type of records for auditioning speakers. It is a live recording made in a large venue." Once the needle dropped, we were transported to that concert hall. Yes, there were plenty of recording flaws that were revealed by the Matrix 800's...however, the overall coherance was breathtaking. Before the end of listening to side three, Bruce (the recording engineer) was intently looking at the liner notes and was proclaiming, "that was mixed well, let's listen to side 4".

We went from Joe Cocker to Lightning Hopkins "Going Away". The close mic recording put Hopkins DIRECTLY into the room with us, I closed my eyes and Lightning struck....he was IN THE ROOM. It was outrageous.

Time evaporated as we just couldn't stop listening to these speakers. Statements like, "These compete with the $80k speakers I have at home"...."We need to start a letter writing campaign demanding B&W to rerelease this speaker" were being tossed about.

At some point, about an hour or so in....Dave Weinhart abruptly says, "oh man, we forgot to disconnect the subwoofers we were using for the Carver demo". His associate speaks up, "I already did". The Matrix 800's had crisp, clean, powerful punch to them that was notably absent from Carver's $18K "Amazing" speakers (even WITH the subs).

We finished the session with an old sterophonic demonstration album from the 1950's that, according to Bruce, was ubiquitous when stereo first hit the market. It was designed to show off the new stereo technology to potential customers. The sheer musicality of these speakers shined, yet again.

Needless to say, I was sold. The deal was struck for these speakers that retailed for $18k back in the early 90's. Had I not purchased these, there were at least two others that were going to jump on them. Delivery arrangements will be made over the next week or so.

Thanks again to all who offered their opinions and advice.

Lastly, anyone local to the Ventura, CA. area who would like to hear some superb speakers will be invited once the system is up and running.

I got sucked into this by reading the praise of the 4345 by others here. I intended to go for the L300/4333 but this pair of 4345s just appeared here on this list and I got into a conversation with the owner and couldn't believe no one here had already jumped on his offer.

Now I'm generally a purist in my collectibles. I go for the "survivor" vintage cars, the ones that haven't been modified or over-restored, so I get shy my 4345 "clones" might not be everyone's cup of mud, but if it's really all about the music then I couldn't be happier. In fact, mine are likely an improvement over the originals. I know they're light-years beyond a 4333 or an L300, but that's not a secret here on LH. They're a very special JBL creation.

You don't need to do any of GT's suggestions to have a killer speaker. Most of what he suggests comes from technical improvements in crossovers, etc, over the decades. The best suggestion is to bypass the bi-amp switch and simply run them bi-amped with an external crossover. I use the Ashly XR1001 which is easy to find used or new, isn't expensive, and most here know it works well and is a bargain among electronic crossover. The isolation of the UHF with it's own amp isn't necessary though I'm sure GT knows what he's talking about! Remember, as GT said in his note (see my sig line) . . .
Sounds like you truly scored with finding that sweet pair. Even with my recent acquisition, the 4345's will certainly stay on my "want" list.

Mr. Widget
12-04-2016, 06:58 PM
Here's the lowdown....
I am not sure why there are many here who dismiss B&W speakers. I remember the 800 Matrix speakers as an exceptionally great speaker. I haven't heard them in years but I'm sure you will enjoy them just as much when you get them home.

Congratulations and thank you for the full report.

Widget

jblnut
12-04-2016, 07:51 PM
I've been impressed with every B&W I've ever heard, especially the vintage electrostatic DM70's I got to hear a few years ago. Clearly, these guys know what they are doing - and have for a long time.

But (and I'm kidding here)...when I thought the 1400's had a butterface... OMG those Matrix 800's! It's like having some old sci-fi movie props in your living room :-).

Who cares if they sound good though...right ?

jblnut

SD Modiano
12-04-2016, 08:13 PM
You're kidding, right? They're not the sexiest speakers you've ever laid your eyes upon? I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.;)

The place where I got them is a B&W dealer. They said the Matrix 800's sounded unlike the "typical B&W" sound and unlike any other B&W they'd heard before. They also said this is the only pair they've ever seen or sold.

BMWCCA
12-04-2016, 08:22 PM
You're kidding, right? They're not the sexiest speakers you've ever laid your eyes upon? I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.;)I'm sure it must be! If you're happy, we're happy for you.:bouncy:

hsosdrum
12-05-2016, 02:30 PM
I remember hearing the Matrix 800s in the B&W booth at a CES in the early 90s and thinking at the time that they were the only British speakers I'd ever heard that I would consider owning (and at the time I'd heard just about all of them): they had a huge sound with excellent detail and very realistic dynamics. However, the demo didn't feature any program material with which I was familiar, the room was large and crowded, and they never played anything at what I would consider a quiet listening level. Unfortunately, I never encountered those speakers again during my many training sojourns with Nakamichi and Kenwood, so I was never able to put them through their paces as thoroughly as you did.

Congratulations on falling in [audio] love — it's what all of us here strive for.

svollmer
12-07-2016, 06:20 AM
Boy, I lusted after the Matrix 800 back in the day. To me (everyone has their preferences) one of the sexiest looking speakers ever built along with the Goldmund Apologue, Thiel CS5, Wilson WAMM (the original, not the ugly new one), and Apogee Grand. Congratulations on purchasing a "lifer" speaker.

Here's a 1991 review from Stereophile. Lewis Lipnick saying the speaker had no shortcomings was controversial at the time, if I recall correctly.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/691bw800/index.html#3AvOroF4Fp702e5w.97

SoundDiva13
12-07-2016, 02:45 PM
Today I finally got my 250Ti Jubilee's I sourced from Germany. Best Christmas present ever! 10293L and 10242R serial numbers. MINT condition! I only paid $1,987. Of course shipping was not fun, but finding "Jubilee's" in the states is rare. Point is, shop for a while and be patient. It took me almost 3-years to find what I wanted.

-Brian

jblnut
12-07-2016, 03:23 PM
Congrats! Pics?

jblnut

SoundDiva13
12-07-2016, 05:36 PM

JuniorJBL
12-07-2016, 07:28 PM
Here's the lowdown....

Excellent write up!! Here's to enjoying an excellent speaker and the chase that goes with them! :applaud:

JuniorJBL
12-07-2016, 07:29 PM
Today I finally got my 250Ti Jubilee's I sourced from Germany. Best Christmas present ever! 10293L and 10242R serial numbers. MINT condition! I only paid $1,987. Of course shipping was not fun, but finding "Jubilee's" in the states is rare. Point is, shop for a while and be patient. It took me almost 3-years to find what I wanted.

-Brian

Those are pretty! Congrats!! :)

srm51555
12-08-2016, 06:13 AM
Excellent write up!! Here's to enjoying an excellent speaker and the chase that goes with them! :applaud:

+1

-Brian

Those look awesome.

SD Modiano
12-08-2016, 11:44 AM
I'm sure it must be! If you're happy, we're happy for you.:bouncy:

Thanks BMW. :)

I remember hearing the Matrix 800s in the B&W booth at a CES in the early 90s and thinking at the time that they were the only British speakers I'd ever heard that I would consider owning (and at the time I'd heard just about all of them): they had a huge sound with excellent detail and very realistic dynamics. However, the demo didn't feature any program material with which I was familiar, the room was large and crowded, and they never played anything at what I would consider a quiet listening level. Unfortunately, I never encountered those speakers again during my many training sojourns with Nakamichi and Kenwood, so I was never able to put them through their paces as thoroughly as you did.

Congratulations on falling in [audio] love — it's what all of us here strive for.
They were just so much fun to listen to, I had to have them. Thanks for the well wishes.

Boy, I lusted after the Matrix 800 back in the day. To me (everyone has their preferences) one of the sexiest looking speakers ever built along with the Goldmund Apologue, Thiel CS5, Wilson WAMM (the original, not the ugly new one), and Apogee Grand. Congratulations on purchasing a "lifer" speaker.

Here's a 1991 review from Stereophile. Lewis Lipnick saying the speaker had no shortcomings was controversial at the time, if I recall correctly.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/691bw800/index.html#3AvOroF4Fp702e5w.97
I practically have that review memorized by now. I must admit, even with my limited time with these speakers, I agree with everything he said about them.
When I heard back from the dealer yesterday with a delivery date (next Wed. the 14th), he said they left the 800's hooked up for a few days and now there's three buyers lined up if I change my mind....yeah, not bloody likely.

-BrianCongrats on scoring those 250 Jubilee's, man! They look to be in fantastic shape. Enjoy!

Excellent write up!! Here's to enjoying an excellent speaker and the chase that goes with them! :applaud:Glad you enjoyed following along. :thmbsup:

brutal
12-14-2016, 08:31 PM

jblnut

I fear mine should be requiring some attention soon.

Bought them out of the Seattle area many years ago, and they have lived in our dry climate here so far so good, but the clock is ticking.

Damn you all!

I checked my surrounds closely a few days ago and one is starting to show signs of crackage in two 1" areas.

I'll have to decide now which temporary pair to rotate in while I get these get fixed.

I don't really have the layout for the L7's to go there.

Maybe the 120Ti's on stands? Those need surrounds too but I can rotate a pair of 128H from some 4412's.

Or I could just live with the L5's for a bit I suppose.

jblnut, please PM me the info on who is doing the 044ti's for you. I can tackle the surrounds, but am a bit uncertain on the others.

BMWCCA
12-14-2016, 09:42 PM
I don't really have the layout for the L7's to go there.I'm constantly surprised as to how well the L7 works in a room or position where you'd assume they wouldn't. Especially after all the discussion in T-dome's thread about placement. Give 'em a try!

Doctor_Electron
12-14-2016, 10:55 PM

jblnut

Seems a fair price.

Ben Lomond, CA is just a few miles from the epicenter of the 1989 earthquake that devistated San Francisco.

Better be careful using these monsters !

-D_E-

brutal
12-14-2016, 11:11 PM
I'm constantly surprised as to how well the L7 works in a room or position where you'd assume they wouldn't. Especially after all the discussion in T-dome's thread about placement. Give 'em a try!

The space requires the speakers front baffles to align with the TV/furniture...

Not necessarily optimal for the Ti's but I imagine that's gonna flat out kill the L7 design/intent.

My B460 is 90* to the right against the perpendicular wall (old photo)

BMWCCA
12-15-2016, 05:10 AM
I'd still try the L7 reversed (woofers out) in that location, just to see how they'd fit in while you're working on the 250s. Who knows? :dont-know:

jblnut
12-15-2016, 07:54 AM
No need for PM - I asked him and he is happy to do more of these. It's member GordonW both here and on AK.

He's got the set from my 120's right now.

jblnut

shaansloan
12-16-2016, 10:45 AM
Those Jubilees are a thing of beauty! Let me know when your ready to sell them! :)