PDA

View Full Version : How a studio piece made it into my home system

jbljfan
11-07-2016, 01:51 PM
Make inquiry on consumer processor.
Consumer dealer: What do you have?
Information provided
Consumer dealer: What you really need is ____________
Hmmm, double the price and nothing about the piece inquired about.

Make inquiry on studio processor.
Pro dealer: What do you have and what are you trying to do?
Information provided
Pro dealer: Yeah, we can make that work. I’ll include some SPDIF to AES cables in your shipment.

End rant.

Ed Zeppeli
11-07-2016, 02:38 PM
So what you're saying is that there's a lot of salesmanship and voodoo in hifi?

jbljfan
11-07-2016, 03:30 PM
Ed, you are half right. No Voodoo in the product. The consumer guys weren't about helping me but increasing their profit. Apparently I'm a clueless neophyte. They wanted me to replace five boxes in my system and put in an all in one solution that isn't wanted or needed.

Ed Zeppeli
11-07-2016, 03:53 PM
I just inserted voodoo in there based on my own experience being 'sold' on magical cables etc...

Mr. Widget
11-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Don't get me started on voodoo and BS, but just like there are often potential grounding issues and gain structure issues on the analog side when mixing Studio and Consumer gear, most pro digital gear assumes you are running a master clock for the system and will only work at its best with a master clock. As has often been said about the old school JBL pro monitors, mixing pro and consumer gear is usually not plug and play.

That said, for those who know what they are doing there is a lot of good pro gear out there and in many cases you may find the perfect solution when you broaden your search.

Widget

jbljfan
11-07-2016, 10:21 PM
By no means is this unit plug and play or remotely consumer friendly. Considerable time, effort and cost were involved to set up and integrate the unit into my system to make it work as intended. I traveled to get the manufacturer’s ‘user certification’ training. On the other hand I am extremely pleased with the results and I got to meet some really nice and knowledgeable career recording and post production engineers. :)

Doctor_Electron
11-08-2016, 04:21 AM
What is the piece of gear?