PDA

View Full Version : JBL "Plinths"

hjames
11-02-2016, 02:54 AM
I had a pair of L60T speakers that took me FOREVER to sell a few years back - no one on Cl wanted them and I refused to part them out,
or price them under $100 so someone ELSE could make money parting them out! But they finally sold.

Months ago, my friend Steve had a pair of empty L60T cabinets he offered to me - pretty good shape with minimal veneer chips -
No grill or drivers, just empty cabinets. I had plans to do something cool with them, but spring, and then summer has passed,
winter is coming, and I'm cleaning up the basement so - they had to go. They're too big to ship.
I offered them elsewhere locally for free & got no responses. I really hate to just put them on the curb for trash pickup.
Then I had a brainstorm.

My wife is pastor at a local church, and they always have need of tall stands for candles and such during various seasons ...
so I came up with a brainstorm to turn them into walnut plinths. I pulled the port trim and rubber grommets (for the grills I did not have),
coated the face and back panel with rubber cement, then glued on black foam poster board, and voila!
$30 for 4 sheets of foam board and rubber cement & they'll leave here and go for use at the church ...
and I get a cleaned up space in the basement (and they won't get abused as plant stands)!

She plans to drape a cloth runner over the top and 2 black sides - so the walnut veneer side shows -
but even without an altar cloth or runner, they don't look bad.

74362 74363

Ed Zeppeli
11-02-2016, 04:20 AM
Nicely re-purposed. It's almost like they died and went to heaven.

Warren

svollmer
11-02-2016, 06:33 AM
Great idea! It's great to see useful things used instead of pitched.

I have some stereo stuff I'm trying to sell and like you, can't find anyone interested - even at very low prices. And it will kill me to just take the stuff to the landfill electronics recycling center where they'll be stripped/crushed, etc.

hjames
11-02-2016, 07:51 AM
Great idea! It's great to see useful things used instead of pitched.

I have some stereo stuff I'm trying to sell and like you, can't find anyone interested - even at very low prices. And it will kill me to just take the stuff to the landfill electronics recycling center where they'll be stripped/crushed, etc.

We should talk again b4 Sunday - or share an email and see if the local crowd is interested in anything before you haul it to the dump.

svollmer
11-03-2016, 03:32 AM
Sounds good. Or maybe I'll just bring some stuff I don't see ever selling and anyone can take them if they can use them.