PDA

View Full Version : WiConnect to Eliminate Subwoorer

svollmer
10-22-2016, 03:48 AM
I've dealt with subwoofer hum for years. I've got it to where it's minimal but it's still there. I saw this linked device from Velodyne and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one or something similar.

My subs are only about 8 feet away from the equipment rack. I'm using a Crown amp to power the subs and an Audiocontrol Richter Scale III crossover. It appears that this might be a nice way to break the ground connection.

Any my experiences or comments are appreciated. Thanks!

http://velodyneacoustics.com/product-accessories/wiconnect-system.html (http://velodyneacoustics.com/product-accessories/wiconnect-system.html)

http://velodyneacoustics.com/pdf/wiconnect/WiConnectSystemManual.pdf

Ruediger
10-22-2016, 08:02 AM
Have a look at

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/

They have special subwoofer solutions.

Ruediger

toddalin
10-22-2016, 11:42 AM
I've dealt with subwoofer hum for years. I've got it to where it's minimal but it's still there. I saw this linked device from Velodyne and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one or something similar.

My subs are only about 8 feet away from the equipment rack. I'm using a Crown amp to power the subs and an Audiocontrol Richter Scale III crossover. It appears that this might be a nice way to break the ground connection.

Have you tried to remove the "ground lift" on the Crown (if it has one)? My PSA-2XH had some hum until I removed this jumper. That's what it's there for.

1audiohack
10-22-2016, 03:28 PM
I've dealt with subwoofer hum for years...I'm using a Crown amp to power the subs and an Audiocontrol Richter Scale III crossover...

Are you driving the Crown with a ballanced signal / differential drive from the Richter Scale? The Crown amp accepts a ballanced signal I presume.

I also have an Series III R.S.

Barry

Ed Zeppeli
10-22-2016, 05:10 PM
I had the same issue. I fixed it using a cheater plug. (my kids haven't died yet but my dog looks like Billy Idol.)

Going from balanced to unbalanced and using three-prong gear with two-prong will give headaches.

An isolation transformer may work as well.

Something commercial and from Velodyne looks expensive.

You have options.

svollmer
10-24-2016, 03:53 AM
Wow! Thanks everyone for the quick responses and advice. I've tried all the options described as well as a HUM X from Ebtech. http://www.ebtechaudio.com/humxdes.html

I've known about the Jensen transformers, but was hesitant to purchase one because they're kind of expensive too. I emailed Jensen and asked them if it didn't work could it be returned, but didn't get a reply.

I just thought the WiFi connection and its ability to completely remove the electrical connection was an interesting idea. I've got the hum very quiet now and it's not really noticeable at the listening position, especially when music is playing.

The Richter Scale does not have balanced outputs, but I may be changing crossovers in the near future and if I do, the one I'm looking at has balanced outs. So, I guess I'll just hold for now.

Thanks for all the great advice!

Steve

1audiohack
10-24-2016, 05:59 AM
Good morning Steve;

Your Richter does have ballanced out, it's just not convenient. It has two RCA outputs and one is inverted ie polarity flipped. Send this inverted signal to pin three and and the other standard signal out to pin two of an XLR and you are in business. (This assumes an amp with standard pin two is hot convention!)

I connect the shield only to the RCA shells on the Richter, and not to pin one or the shell on the XLR going in the amp. This leaves no connected ground path in the signal chain at all and increases you signal drive 6dB. At the very least this should drive the signal to noise down another 6dB.

Works on mine. :)

All the best,
Barry.

svollmer
10-24-2016, 09:28 AM
Good morning Steve;

Your Richter does have ballanced out, it's just not convenient. It has two RCA outputs and one is inverted ie polarity flipped. Send this inverted signal to pin three and and the other standard signal out to pin two of an XLR and you are in business. (This assumes an amp with standard pin two is hot convention!)

I connect the shield only to the RCA shells on the Richter, and not to pin one or the shell on the XLR going in the amp. This leaves no connected ground path in the signal chain at all and increases you signal drive 6dB. At the very least this should drive the signal to noise down another 6dB.

Works on mine. :)

All the best,
Barry.

Thanks Barry! I never knew this. I have always used the L/R "low out" connections. I have four stacked 2245H subs; two get the left signal and the other two get the right signal. It seems to work better than the summed mono output. But should I use the "invert" and "normal" connections wired to XLR jacks?

Ruediger
10-24-2016, 12:27 PM
See the following pape for an in-depth discussion of balanced I/Os.

http://www.douglas-self.com/ampins/balanced/balanced.htm

Ruediger

1audiohack
10-24-2016, 01:18 PM
Yes sir, the invert and normal outputs. This does however combine all your subs to a mono signal.

Barry.

Ed Zeppeli
10-24-2016, 06:06 PM
Good morning Steve;

Your Richter does have ballanced out,

Love it. :cool:

svollmer
10-25-2016, 04:06 AM
Thanks very much everyone! I have some reading to do and some XLR's to be ordering.

Steve

grumpy
10-25-2016, 06:53 AM
Just need a second unit to go bass/stereo/balanced ... with the additional benefit of
individual sub tuning :)

(Although I'm a little surprised at what people are still getting for those)

svollmer
10-26-2016, 04:55 AM
Just need a second unit to go bass/stereo/balanced ... with the additional benefit of
individual sub tuning :)

(Although I'm a little surprised at what people are still getting for those)

Agreed on the price. I've had mine since new, but I know there are a lot of xover alternatives today, especially with A/D - D/A conversion.