PDA

View Full Version : Time outs...

Horn Fanatic
07-22-2016, 03:49 PM
You know what chaps my hide? Losing comments due to the short time out mode on this forum.

I don't know how many times I have written a comment only to lose it because my log on time expired.
I click post, and poof! Relegated to cyberspace never to be seen again, accompanied by a notice that
I need to log on to use this forum. Hell! I was, 45 seconds earlier.

The only way to avoid being automatically logged off is to write 30 seconds or so worth of text, then post it.
Then click on edit mode either to finish writing, or add more text, repeating the process if necessary.
I just lost one a few moments ago because I lost track of time. I was told by an administrator not long ago
that nothing can be done about it.

When I know I have a lot of text to write I have to go to the trouble of writing a draft to my personal Email page,
then copy it onto a forum thread. It's all a frustrating waste of time.

Any suggestions, forum administrators?

hsosdrum
07-22-2016, 04:53 PM
I'm not a forum admin (and I don't play one on TV), but I've had my reply window open for over an hour on several occasions when I was interrupted while composing a post and have never lost my text and had to log back in again and start all over. Occasionally when I realize that I've written a good deal of text just to be safe I'll copy it so I can paste it into a new window if something squirrelly happens, but I don't recall ever needing to do that.

Joseph Smith Jr
07-22-2016, 05:09 PM
You know what chaps my hide? Losing comments due to the short time out mode on this forum.

I don't know how many times I have written a comment only to lose it because my log on time expired.
I click post, and poof! Relegated to cyberspace never to be seen again, accompanied by a notice that
I need to log on to use this forum. Hell! I was, 45 seconds earlier.

The only way to avoid being automatically logged off is to write 30 seconds or so worth of text, then post it.
Then click on edit mode either to finish writing, or add more text, repeating the process if necessary.
I just lost one a few moments ago because I lost track of time. I was told by an administrator not long ago
that nothing can be done about it.

When I know I have a lot of text to write I have to go to the trouble of writing a draft to my personal Email page,
then copy it onto a forum thread. It's all a frustrating waste of time.

Any suggestions, forum administrators?
When you hit post and receive the log in page, do so and your post should appear as written and posted
Happens to me often
Easily preventable problem though, just in case
If you have taken a long time to compose a post, before you hit the post button simply right click on your work and "copy"
If in fact you do have something going on and you can't retrieve as described above by simply logging back in all you have to do then is "paste"

Joe

SEAWOLF97
07-22-2016, 05:45 PM
when I'm working on a long post , a yellow small tag pops up and says
"auto saved"
maybe that's a setting to look for :dont-know:

Don C
07-22-2016, 05:58 PM
While you are looking over your text for mistakes, because we all do that, don't we, highlight your message and use Ctrl+C to make a copy of the text. In case of any error it's still there ready to paste anywhere.

grumpy
07-22-2016, 11:19 PM
Are you clicking on the little "Remember Me" box when logging in?

Horn Fanatic
07-22-2016, 11:23 PM
Are you clicking on the little "Remember Me" box when logging in?

No, I haven't done that. I'll give it a try. Joseph Smith had another suggestion I will try.

Thank you so much for your input gentleman.

BTW - I'm on a Mac. Ctrl+C does not compute. The command on the Mac is to highlight, edit copy paste.

BMWCCA
07-23-2016, 04:34 AM
BTW - I'm on a Mac. Ctrl+C does not compute. The command on the Mac is to highlight, edit copy paste.

Use "command"+ "C" on a Mac to copy, and "command" + "V" to paste. I, too, am on a Mac and never experience any time-out when reading or replying. Not sure if it isn't a setting on your machine rather than a site setting, but regardless, it's never been a problem for me on my Mac or this site. :dont-know: