PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend someone to recap-restore JBL networks?

shaansloan
07-13-2016, 08:58 AM
Folks, who does this work well? I am not necessarily wanting to do any upgrades or modifications, just refurbishing. Who can I send my networks to refreshing.... 4343B, 4333A, 4312.... Thanks for any help!

Vahe Sahakian
07-13-2016, 10:42 AM
I did ask this same question a while back, got no reply.
Mine are for 4350's, I have three 3107's, one is spare just in case, these are over thirty years old and I am assuming that perhaps an upgrade is in order.

Vahe

berga12
07-19-2016, 08:13 AM
If capacitors inside are not Electrolytic and are Just Polypropilene or Oil-paper there is non need to change them.

at that time they were using good components.

Of course if you have money to spend you can upgrade the filters keeping Original Auto transformer and substitute Series Coils with Air coils (maybe Flat wire...) and change especially Series Capacitors with more modern and Polypropilene or Oil-Paper, and change resistors with carbon resistor or wire-resistors and check if L-Pad are still in good shape.

After that rebuild-refurbish............You Loose the original stuff, so you loose Value.

I suggest to keep Crossover as original as possible, Pack them in a box and place inside brand new crossover following actual schematics without LPAD at the end.

audiomagnate
07-29-2016, 01:35 AM
They used film caps AND submerged most of the components in wax which makes them last even longer. I'm not a believer in "magic" caps myself, but a lower dcr air coil series woofer coil might tighten up the bass a bit.