PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying JBL vintage speakera

Dmacf
04-14-2016, 07:53 PM
Apologies if this is a retread or noob question, I searched high & low & couldn't definitively identify a pair of vintage JBL speakers.

These are 12" cabinets, look like D130 drivers & sort if resemble L series but the tweeter & "hole" are not in the same place. I've had them for 30 years, gift from a friends dad that had them in his basement for at (I think) 20 yrs before that. They're in terrific shape with original tweed covers. I had them re-coned w/ JBL white cones 20 yrs ago & the foams deteriorated and want to repair DIY but want to make sure I get the right gasket & foam.

Here are some pics. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

BMWCCA
04-14-2016, 08:02 PM
That's an LE14A and an LE20 tweeter. The system is called the S12. The cabinet looks like a C53.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/catalogs/1969-home.htm

If you had them re-coned then they did it with the correct but updated cone. The original would have been white with the cream-colored Lansaloy surround material. Either the surround was replaced or a new cone with the new-type surround was installed. Regardless, it looks like it's time for new surrounds, again. Contact Rick Cobb for the correct parts. Search this site with Google Advanced Search.

Dmacf
04-15-2016, 05:11 AM
Much appreciated BMWCCA. I will search as suggested to make sure I get the right parts. When they're working well, these are a great sounding set of speakers. When I had them re-coned here in Michigan in 1990's I did take them to an official/authorized JBL repair. I'm glad I did as I hear those are no longer easy to come by.

Can't wait for this little DIY project. The wife thought I was crazy searching and searching.

Triumph Don
04-15-2016, 06:37 AM
Here is the refoam kit you will need. Be careful when removing the outer rubber ring!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEST-Speaker-Foam-Surround-Repair-kit-for-JBL-LE14A-LE14C-LE14H-LE14H1-LE14H-1-/351697517664