PDA

View Full Version : Very old JBL speakers?

Wardsweb
03-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Can anyone identify these speakers? They look like very old James B. Lansing Mfg Co. The cabinets are built like a C37/C38 with the grills that slide out from the bottom. I haven't ever seen JBL drivers like that.

Wagner
03-08-2016, 04:01 PM
.........in a box with a JBL badge! :)

Not JBLs for sure (except for that nice exclamation point "Signature" badge)

Those ancient Bozaks are some NICE speakers

Thomas Wagner

Horn Fanatic
03-08-2016, 10:09 PM
Can anyone identify these speakers? They look like very old James B. Lansing Mfg Co. The cabinets are built like a C37/C38 with the grills that slide out from the bottom. I haven't ever seen JBL drivers like that.

FYI - The black threads in the grille fabric is horse hair. Rarely do I ever see that particular fabric on JBL cabinets that is in pristine condition. It chaps my hide when I see an Ebay auction where some knuckle head hacks the JBL emblem out of the fabric with a utility knife, then parts out the empty enclosure with a gaping hole in the grille.

JeffW
03-09-2016, 09:09 AM
The numbers on the crossover next to the output lugs appear to correspond with the driver model. There's a "B-199A" visible, here's what that brings up. Look familiar?

http://lab.sekaimon.com/img/fetch/i/250779288725

Same with the B-209

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/0ocAAOSwDNdViHUf/$_1.JPG

Wardsweb
03-09-2016, 10:11 AM
Thanks everyone.

badman
03-09-2016, 01:59 PM
I like how the inductors are in their evening best.

mech986
03-10-2016, 05:15 AM
Definitely Bozak drivers and crossover, although I thought many Bozaks had a rounded can over the magnets.

Wagner
03-10-2016, 09:16 AM
Definitely Bozak drivers and crossover, although I thought many Bozaks had a rounded can over the magnets.
They did-but I have seen more than a few of those woofers that came in factory systems with that screw hole for the cover taped over with a piece of masking tape?
Had a friend years ago who bought some monster Bozaks and a Bogen amp new (whole systems in a box) and they didn't have any covers on them
Cost saving measure? Coincidence? Don't know, just know that I've seen them enough both ways to be fairly sure they weren't all simply removed by the owners and lost

mech986
03-10-2016, 08:54 PM
HI Wagner, maybe the older Bozak drivers had the typical alnico slug magnets and the cover cans were normal. Maybe the later ferrite drivers dispensed with the covers? I don't personally know.