PDA

View Full Version : Help in Pricing JBL-4412a

CanuckProducer
12-14-2015, 08:34 AM
Howdy all.

These are not for sale. I need to insure these and don't quite know how to list what the real value would be. I've seen these for sale (though rarely) - anywhere from $800 per pair to a ridiculous Japan-price offer of $2000, advertised as 'rare vintage' (which I'm not disputing; they are). They are circa 1975-76 - came from the B room in a major recording studio in Vancouver, kept in careful warm storage for about 8 years after its demise, when I bought them and had them in proper storage until a few years ago. Pristine condition - I use them as cross-reference monitors in my project studio in conjunction with some hi-end active monitors. (I do have the grills which are in good shape - I don't think they've ever been on these things except while in storage).

I'd appreciate hearing any assessment of their value so I could list them on my policy. Thanks all!
BTW - please state if what country's dollar value - example if you think it's $600, please state $600 US or if in Canada, use CAD. Thanks again.

JBL 4412a left and right studio monitors.

grumpy
12-14-2015, 09:10 AM
Replacement value? LSR 6332 is the current JBL 12" studio monitor ~$3200usd/pr

Current used market value? Check eBay for actual sales. Do your homework.
Why would an insurer listen to anyone here?

BMWCCA
12-14-2015, 05:50 PM
I know in classic vehicles, I can insure for "stated value" but my premiums are based on whatever I say the vehicles are worth. No more, no less. If I let the insurance company set the policy premium then it's up to me to prove the value if there's a loss. Not sure our old equipment can be covered the same way but I'm sure you can get a rider to cover whatever you want at whatever value you put on it. My homeowner's policy covers actual replacement value but the trick is, if you experience a loss, trying to determine what that value is on things for which you can't just go purchase replacements.

Then there are professional appraisers who will charge you for their assessment. My experience with those is they really don't know Jack about most esoteric collectibles. They just bluff a good game and self-promote to the point of recognition as "experts". Sometimes they simply provide "comparables" and leave it at that.

Are you being required by your insurance company to provide a schedule of your valuables? I'd have to assume from your question that whatever value you put on any of your items will only serve to limit the insurance company's payout if there's a loss. Stating the value sets your premium and may not guaranty your reimbursement. The reality is you need to trust your insurance agent to help you make the right decision, and hold his feet to the fire if a loss doesn't reimburse the way you expect it to.

I have a pair of 4412As that still have the plastic over the grille badges and all original surrounds in great shape. I know what I paid and I know what I'd sell them for. Two vastly different amounts! So, what is their value? It's whatever I can get for them when I decide to sell. Or use Ebay, assuming all those "sold" items really are . . . and that would put them around $600 US.

SEAWOLF97
12-14-2015, 06:15 PM
They are circa 1975-76 - came from the B room in a major recording studio in Vancouver

hmmm, I've always thot they were mid 80's ? JBL's own PDF on the model is dated 2/87

agree with Pill, value is somewhere near 600+. But if you want to declare & pay premiums on $2,000 ..then go for it. Just don't be disappointed if upon loss , you have to prove it.

Don C
12-14-2015, 11:43 PM
4412As were introduced about 1996. They are not so old.

Wagner
12-15-2015, 05:09 PM
Howdy all.

These are not for sale. I need to insure these and don't quite know how to list what the real value would be. I've seen these for sale (though rarely) - anywhere from $800 per pair to a ridiculous Japan-price offer of $2000, advertised as 'rare vintage' (which I'm not disputing; they are). They are circa 1975-76 - came from the B room in a major recording studio in Vancouver, kept in careful warm storage for about 8 years after its demise, when I bought them and had them in proper storage until a few years ago. Pristine condition - I use them as cross-reference monitors in my project studio in conjunction with some hi-end active monitors. (I do have the grills which are in good shape - I don't think they've ever been on these things except while in storage).

I'd appreciate hearing any assessment of their value so I could list them on my policy. Thanks all!
BTW - please state if what country's dollar value - example if you think it's $600, please state $600 US or if in Canada, use CAD. Thanks again.

JBL 4412a left and right studio monitors.
This is a conversation you need to have with your insurance man
Falls in the same category as "collectibles, jewelry and works of art"
In other words, you ain't gettin' close to what you, or ePay or anyone in Japan may think they're worth unless you carry coverage with Llyod's of London and pay some gold balls premium(s)

I have been fortunate (knock on wood) to have been able to hold onto a $500 dollar TOTAL deductible, no limit ACTUAL COST(S) AND actual cost(s)/EXCAT REPLACEMENT of loss of use AND 100% coverage for interim housing costs in the event of total home loss that I bought back in the very early '90s; but even with that one they're going to pay only what a "comparable" version of an item no longer manufactured is going to cost (in my case with a modicum of consideration given to the secondary market's current value; I do enjoy language in my jacket to making all reasonable attempts to replace an item with an EXACT match to a loss "when practical" (but I'll just hope I never have to learn exactly what that means (now); like I said, I'll hold on to this one until they find a legal way to cancel it on me)

They definitely don't write 'em like they used to; my coverage even extended to flood loss on with the same terms until the Great State of Kalifornia F'ed that up (I'm about 200 miles from the nearest flood plain or major river)

They do offer me great deals on new terms every year though! :) )for the shitty we don't pay shit type of coverage today with a ball busting deductible and most payouts based on "market value")

For 99% of the home owners an personal property coverage that I've ever had to deal with, what ePay says don't mean shit
(except, again, in my lucky instance for staying loyal to my agent for 25 years and not shopping a cheaper policy) Rates are still good to; doubled my coverage 15 years ago and the premium only went up about 20% (but then again, I've never put in for a claim) Sure that'll all come to an end the day I have to (God forbid) :) )and I get my check along with the cancellation letter)

Don't really see the issue anyway; the value of those speakers, new, will barely cover a typical homeowner's deductible today? Or even on my old school vintage policy when they actually sold useful homeowner's insurance that real world working class folks could afford?

Good luck on your quest

Wagner
12-15-2015, 05:14 PM
Also, do you rent or own your home? Makes a difference (here anyway)
Either way, those speakers' value won't even cover the deductible (typical, even for a good policy today) unless insurance works very very differently in Canada than it does in the United States of America

Good luck,
Thomas

BMWCCA
12-15-2015, 08:10 PM
4412As were introduced about 1996. They are not so old.
Catalogue in the library here shows a date of 1/95. That means they could be at least 20-years-old. In foam-surround-speaker-years . . . that's pretty old!

I seem to recall them being offered new by some of the pro-audio websites within the past ten years, too.