PDA

View Full Version : How close can DIY get to Sound Field Management?

Aaron
11-07-2015, 06:36 PM
I just finished reading Floyd Tooles book on speakers in small rooms and while there were many new things I learned, one thing really stood out.
Sound Field Management.
Using software simulation to individually tune multiple subwoofers to get good FR over many listening positions sounds really cool.
Is there any way to approximate SFM without being a certified Synthesis tech?

Ed Zeppeli
11-07-2015, 07:30 PM
It probably depends on your gear. I know that having multiple subs helps alleviate room nodes. I also know that my Marantz receiver would try to tame those nodes using multiple subs using it's built-in Audyssey XT 32 eq system. Not all receivers perform room correction at the sub level.

I'm hopeful others will chime in here...

Cheers,

Warren

grumpy
11-07-2015, 07:32 PM
IIRC, there's at least one white paper describing the process.

Aaron
11-07-2015, 10:01 PM
I don't have a receiver, just an old two channel preamp, BSS BLU-800, measurement gear and eight channels of amplification for four subs and a pair of active two ways.
I'm having trouble finding the ARCOS simulation software to download, I guess this is because only installers are allowed it have it.
The simulator is the missing piece I need to figure out my non-rectangular room, so my question is: if I can't have ARCOS, is there any other software that might do the job?

ivica
11-08-2015, 07:31 AM
IIRC, there's at least one white paper describing the process.

Hi grumpy,

May be one of them can be this one.

regards
ivica

grumpy
11-08-2015, 07:50 PM
That's a very helpful and useful presentation, but I think there was an additional paper that discussed HATS/ARCOS, etc... I'm sorry I don't remember where. IIRC, the process was more about in situ measurements, the interpretation and combination thereof, and applied corrections that resulted,
and less about room modeling. :dont-know:

natehansen66
11-15-2015, 07:21 AM
There's this: http://andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org/mso/html/index.html

I haven't tried it myself yet.....probably in the next couple months. You need the ability to make dual channel measurements to get the necessary time locked data.

Aaron
11-17-2015, 03:35 PM
Wow,I do believe that MSO will keep me occupied for some time, can't wait to try it out.All of these responses have been educational, so thank you.Still, if anyone finds a more detailed description of what SFM does and how it does it, I'm just curious and would love to know more.