PDA

View Full Version : Crown's XLS Series DriveCore power amplifiers

David Ketley
05-20-2015, 05:11 AM
Crown's XLS Series DriveCore power amplifiers seem to be a model recommended by some of the HIFI buffs here in the UK. Has anyone used these amplifiers on a quality system?

I know the old K2 is recommended but old amps are problematic I've found.

Dave

Mctwins
05-21-2015, 04:32 PM
I am using Crown XLS for the moment to my JBL 4429(will add XLS2002 newer model) and Crown DCi 2/600N to my JBL 4365 and the performance is excellent.

Jonas_h
12-03-2015, 07:45 PM
McTwins: Apart from the DSP in the DCI how do you perceive the difference in sound? (given that you have tried both amps on the same speakers)

David Ketley
12-04-2015, 02:05 AM
I was using a Musical Fidelity KW 500 on my pair of JBL 2245s. The replacement with the crown XLS 2500 was profound. Keeping in mind the Musical Fidelity was a top quality amplifier costing many thousands of pounds for the Class D Crown XLS to control the 2245s better was remarkable. I used Class A amplification further up the chain. My system is 4 way.

Dave

Mctwins
02-26-2016, 07:54 AM
McTwins: Apart from the DSP in the DCI how do you perceive the difference in sound? (given that you have tried both amps on the same speakers)

Hallo!

Both amps are great. Go with XLS if DSP is not off any use. To me, soundwise, is not so much differen't. I woulden't tell any differen't if I had blind fold to my eyes:)

The fan noise is dead quiet(XLS). I really never heard it turned on with XLS but on DCi it turn on and off in intervalls.

The newer XLS looks better.