PDA

View Full Version : 4343B power handling, compression and 70-80's JBL spec vs today

mech986
05-13-2015, 01:59 PM
Hi all,

A spirited discussion is on about the 4343B of an AK member, and the question of power handling came up. Here's a link, and I'll pull out a couple of posts. Help me out as to what is the correct interpretation of the specs and maybe what your real world experience is with the 4343B in particular, and the ability / capabilities of the 4 way Studio Monitors in general. The question about power compression is also an interesting one.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=8776578#post8776578

A very nice system indeed. Maybe not as efficient as the bigger brothers or having the advanced woofer with lower distortion, but still a great performer. Connect the speaker to a MC 752, 754, Mc7100 with Power Guard to protect your valuable drivers and you would have winning performers. Maybe a little bright for me, but that's what tone controls are for. 114 db maximum output is all you need to recreate live unamplified concert levels will great precision. Now if you are a devote' of live rock concert levels you will have to climb a little further up the JBL ladder. You are going to need another 10 db in out put capability.

Those should be around 94dB at 1-watt. I have no idea what you're talking about—they should rock with the best. The only step up would be the 4345 with the 18-inch woofer (mine) or the 4355 with two fifteens.

There are a lot of JBL's that are stronger than 4343, either by efficiency or other models that can handle almost a magnitude more power. Some don't quite reach as low to gain more efficiency or to handle more power. Other reach even further down or give up some highs, like the two way systems. Then there are others from the DD series or the K2 series that out perform the speaker, 4343, due to modern updated materials and driver design, the DD series, or the smaller members of that related family. When a speaker system is only rated at 75 watts and 102 db at 10 ft you know it is either a compromised design or from a time in the past.

Sure, but you're relying on the JBL brochure. I can't imagine the 4343 isn't capable of room-filling sound for the average owner in a residential setting. I know what my old 4345 is capable of. I just thought your comments were less than encouraging to a new owner. :thmbsp:

Have you actually listened to a pair of 4343s? 4333s? 4345s?

Or a sign of a very conservative rating based on a commercial application....probably continuous use at full rated power....not "peak" power ratings as commonly found today.

Yeah, they did rate them differently in the past for the pro market.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4343b.pdf

Sensitivity of 94db/1w/1meter

Acoustic power output: 102db at 10 ft (about 3 meters) at 1/2 rated power, (about 37W) in a room volume of 57 m3 (2000ft3) (say a room 9' x 12' x 18' which is decently sized)

Conservative power rating: 75W continuous sine wave, 1975 era. (most of us today would be quite comfortable with running 200-250W/channel easily, given the power ratings of the 2235H woofer, 2122 midrange, and 2420/horn, 2405 tweeter with proper attenuation and crossover power management.

Note the caveat in the brochure:
Caution: Sound pressure levels produced by the 43438 may cause
permanent hearing loss. The suggested maxlmum exposure is 115dBA for no more than 15 minutes (Department of Labor Bulletin #334).

Loud and powerful enough for you? The 4343B is essentially a JBL L300/4333B monitor with an additional 10 inch high powered midbass/midrange cone driver which would allow the compression driver upper mid and UHF slot tweeter to run even hotter.

Here's the revised L300 tech sheet from JBL circa 1992. Max recommended power is 300-400W non-biamped, using essentially the same drivers sans the cone midrange. Anyone who has listened to an L300 at 100W will tell you that's insanely loud, and given 6db headroom with 300W-400W of power, well, the permanent hearing loss, and window/wall damage could be considerable.

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/L300%20Summit%20ts.pdf

Here again we go back to how JBL measures its speakers. Normally a speaker rated at rms value can handle peaks of 6 db. So that would mean 300 watt peaks for the 4343. The question then becomes do I use a 300 watt amp and hope the rms value of the signal never exceeds 75 watts over the given bandwidth specified by JBL. Note I did not say the full frequency spectrum. That's why dealers who sold Altec and EV got so frustrated with JBL. Because EV and Altec rated there speakers over the full spectrum in the 60, 70's and early 80's when JBL was playing games with numbers. By limiting the bandwidth the efficiency numbers go up and depending on the function of the driver the more power can be handled. Where if you test the speaker over the full published response of the speaker you will get a different result. Now I realize music is not linear in response or concentration of energy and JBL's methods of yore approximated the capabilities of their systems when driven by most musical sources. But as listeners tastes changed and recording systems and techniques changed power handling of speakers had to improve. So today Professional manufacturers are pretty much playing by the same rules. Where with consumer speakers its anyones guess.

So yes for 40 millisec peaks your speakers will possibly put out 120 db, with a rms value of 114 db. But at what point do your drivers become non linear, where added power just adds heating to the voice coils and increases distortions. JBL current speakers collapse any where form 3.2 to 4 db at maximum peak power. And they take the distortion measurements at -10 db. So if you apply those standards to your speakers and from reading the distortion specs if you want to remain below 2% distortion. A 100 watt amps is all you can really use. Other wise you are just increasing the distortion you are listening to!

Now remember most listeners listen at levels of around 85 db with 6 to 10 db peaks and professional producers and engineers listen at around 90 db with 10 db peaks. So the 4343 is capable of fulfilling those criteria at a 10 ft listening distance. Just don't try to push the envelope.

4313B
05-13-2015, 02:14 PM
Use these instead. The L300 should be listed in the third one and it is applicable to the 4343B - 400 watts per channel maximum recommended amplifier power. The AlNiCo version would be less, say 50 to 100 watts given the smaller heat sink of the magnetic return casing and the older voice coil material. 2231A recones to 2234/2235 would be somewhere in between.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1982-home/page10.jpg

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1982-home/page11.jpg

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1979-home/page6.jpg

And yes, the only important thing to know is that the 4343 WILL cause permanent hearing damage if used at high volumes for prolonged listening sessions. In short, don't drink (heavily) and listen. ;)

Also note that JBL Studio Monitors often ran 30 Hz high pass filters to protect the low frequency transducers when unloading below Fb in high volume venues. It's in the 5234/5235 manual. On more than one occasion when the 2231A guts ended up on the floor they were replaced by the higher powered EV models of the day. Not so much a problem with the 2231H or 2235H versions. We are talking night club venues though.

Ah! I see you referenced an example in one of your posts: http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/L300%20Summit%20ts.pdf

That pretty much sums it up.

It is pretty irrelevant now though. Look at the Crowns that JBL uses to power their systems. Reference the M2 power amps. Two-channel, 2500W @ 4Ω Power Amplifier :rotfl:
One of those puppies on a pair of 4343B's should be fantastic. Heck, get two and bi-amp.

I wouldn't worry too much about power compression in a 4343B when used in a home environment. If they are hearing power compression from a 4343B at home the issue will resolve itself soon enough. :rotfl:

martin2395
05-14-2015, 01:24 AM
It's just not possible to make the 4343 distort in a normal listening room that's around 30-40m2 unless you are underpowering them and clipping occurs.

Unless you're a masochist of course :D

ivica
05-14-2015, 04:40 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about power compression in a 4343B when used in a home environment. If they are hearing power compression from a 4343B at home the issue will resolve itself soon enough. :rotfl:

Hi 4313B,

For me this is one of the best comment here on the AH Forum, I have ever seen.

Regards
ivica

pyonc
05-14-2015, 08:15 AM
Look at the Crowns that JBL uses to power their systems.

That's interesting. Could you elaborate on those Crown amps for JBL?
I remember you mentioned in another thread on Crown that JBL used Crown amps exclusively for the 43xx series studio monitors.

martin2395
05-20-2015, 06:31 AM
Every studio that I've seen that had JBL's also had Crowns, in the Netherlands Stage Accompany built various JBL clones that were powered by their own SA500 and SA900 amps.

Tbh I never liked the sound of JBL + Crown, just too harsh and brutal.

BMWCCA
05-20-2015, 05:43 PM
Tbh I never liked the sound of JBL + Crown, just too harsh and brutal.

Such a blanket statement. Which Crowns have you heard with which JBLs??

I have over a dozen JBLs here and over a dozen Crown amps. Nearly every combination I try sounds very good. I haven't even fired-up the Studio Reference-II since I haven't yet found a need for it. Granted, all my Crowns were made in Indiana! And I've yet to un-box the 250Tis.

Listening to the mellow sound of jazz on the 4345s bi-amped with Crown PS-400 and PS-200 as I type. Can't imagine anything better, though I'm sure it exists. Just not in my house!

Enjoy.

martin2395
05-20-2015, 06:29 PM
I auditioned stock 4343, then 4311 and 4312's on the D150 and DC300. Also tried a K2 full range, that one was yuck, only good for bass duty!
Mind you that I'm used to Krell, ML kind of gear so I've already passed the Crown stage ;)

Of course those old Crowns are better than most of the 70-80's gear but I really don't think they do enough justice to big 43 series JBLs.
There is just SO much more potential sitting in these speakers, after all mods my 4343 doesn't sound like stock 4343 at all (thankfully! :D) anymore - they are warm, lush but not muffled and they are everything I want a speaker to be - enjoyable!

I've owned a lot of various speaker systems in the past but for me a hot rodded 4343 (more like 4343/55 hybrid) is the king.
Everyone who came along to give them a listen was flabbergasted to hear old JBL 'coffins' sound that way, with no ear deafening mids at higher levels and with mids smooth like baby buttcheeks;D

martin2395
05-20-2015, 06:41 PM
I think that I know what you guys mean - Crowns combined with stock JBL networks and "1 drivers just give that explosive midrange for jazz and vocals. Doesn't it?

BMWCCA
05-20-2015, 08:20 PM
Mind you that I'm used to Krell, ML kind of gear so I've already passed the Crown stage ;)

Not even JBL has "passed the Crown stage".

martin2395
05-21-2015, 06:58 AM
Isn't JBL and Crown basically the same company now? The more K2/Everests are often demo'ed with Mark Levinson gear, which is also the same Harman holding.

Coincidence, I think not! :D

4313B
05-21-2015, 08:42 AM
Isn't JBL and Crown basically the same company now? The more K2/Everests are often demo'ed with Mark Levinson gear, which is also the same Harman holding.

Coincidence, I think not! :DYeah, it's too bad really since the K2/Everest would sound better with the Crown gear. :rotfl:

But then I have a serious attitude problem with Levinson gear, always have. I used to have a serious attitude problem with Crown gear too, not so much anymore. The guys in the ties would never get away with pairing up those Consumer items with Crown gear at any show. Luxury is supposed to look luxurious and Crown amps look kind of industrial in a spacey sort of way rather than luxurious.

If I could put Crown guts in Levinson cases I'd be set. :rotfl: That's just my opinion. ;)

BMWCCA
05-21-2015, 05:12 PM
If I could put Crown guts in Levinson cases I'd be set. :rotfl: That's just my opinion. ;)

I love it when the voice of experience agrees with my brand predilection formed simply from decades of faithful service and listening.

Over 40-years ago my local hi-fi shop recommended Crown to me over their Mac line and gave me three D-series amps to take home to try. They've met my needs—subjectively and objectively—ever since.
:dancin:

martin2395
05-22-2015, 02:28 PM
Oh well, I liked ML gear until the 33x series came, which simply 'leaves me cold' also because of the unreliability issues.
A couple of days ago I saw a busted 332 where the PSU caps spat out some tar-like goo. :blink:

I owned Mac gear in the past and I'm not surprised to hear someone replace it with Crown :p

Ian Mackenzie
05-22-2015, 04:55 PM
300 watts for biamp on low and high pass is suitable.

In studios the need 6 db headroom so if the cruising level is 75 watts then you have the required head room.

In a domestic situation 75 watts average on both low and high is like a 300 watt amp in passive model.

Used correctly the 4343 is clean and reliable and can approach the levels of a live drum kit for extended periods.

That is insanely loud and far beyond what would be expected of a domestic HiFi loudspeaker