PDA

View Full Version : JBL C-36 vs JBL C-40

weirdtastes
05-11-2015, 07:24 AM
I have the opportunity to acquire a set of factory made C-36 Viscount speakers. I already have a set of C-40 Harkness. Both are factory made with the same components. D130, 075. & N2600. I have to act fast as these will be sold this week at an estate sale that a friend is setting up. Both sets are in great cosmetic condition with original aluminum spun feet. The C-36 set will not be sold cheap so I need to carefully consider this option.

Can anyone tell me how these two sets would compare? The smaller overall size of the C-36 would be better for my small house, but I really like my existing pair and don't want to lose sound quality.

Maron Horonzakz
05-11-2015, 08:15 AM
Keep your C40 s

Mannermusic
05-11-2015, 08:17 AM
I have the opportunity to acquire a set of factory made C-36 Viscount speakers. I already have a set of C-40 Harkness. Both are factory made with the same components. D130, 075. & N2600. I have to act fast as these will be sold this week at an estate sale that a friend is setting up. Both sets are in great cosmetic condition with original aluminum spun feet. The C-36 set will not be sold cheap so I need to carefully consider this option.

Can anyone tell me how these two sets would compare? The smaller overall size of the C-36 would be better for my small house, but I really like my existing pair and don't want to lose sound quality.

C40 is far superior. It's a folded horn enclosure (expensive). "Top of the line." The C36 is an apartment dwellers compromise with the 030 system you describe above. I actually tried the C36 with the 030 system back in the 60s and took 'em back - poor bass response. MM

Mr. Widget
05-11-2015, 08:18 AM
I can't say from experience, but I believe the C-36 is a performance compromise to make a more appealing domestic package. Is there any way you can audition them?

Widget

Wagner
05-11-2015, 10:41 AM
C40 is far superior. It's a folded horn enclosure (expensive). "Top of the line." The C36 is an apartment dwellers compromise with the 030 system you describe above. I actually tried the C36 with the 030 system back in the 60s and took 'em back - poor bass response. MM
Maybe the box, but only "top of the line" with the "001" load (not the "030")
The factory built C40 enclosure allows for both (and any future upgrades) with removable/re-configurable blanks to fill the holes you do or don't need (even allowing for a 12" "woofer" if that's all you could spring for at the time)
Only way I could get any satisfying bass out of my C40s (with "001"s: 130A, 175s and N1200s, was with tubes; then it VERY satisfying)
With Solid State, not so much
Not 100% clear on what load the OP currently enjoys in his C40s?

weirdtastes
05-12-2015, 11:40 AM
Looks like I will stay with my C-40's since they are better. (also the C-36 set have turned into a bidding war situation which I will not participate in)

Just for reference my cabs are loaded with 15" 130A cone speakers and 175DLH compression drivers. They are all original and sound very nice but just take up quite a bit of room in my small house.

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.

Mr. Widget
05-12-2015, 11:52 AM
You might want to add some tweeters to improve the highs and enjoy even better sound.

Widget

Wagner
05-12-2015, 01:15 PM
You might want to add some tweeters to improve the highs and enjoy even better sound.

Widget
"Everyone" says that; I "hear" it frequently

I don't agree

Wagner
05-12-2015, 01:16 PM
Looks like I will stay with my C-40's since they are better. (also the C-36 set have turned into a bidding war situation which I will not participate in)

Just for reference my cabs are loaded with 15" 130A cone speakers and 175DLH compression drivers. They are all original and sound very nice but just take up quite a bit of room in my small house.

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.
That's the "001" and it's the real deal

Your cross overs in sheet metal boxes or the cast type?

Are your cabs mirrored?

Nice nice speakers

Mr. Widget
05-12-2015, 02:17 PM
"Everyone" says that; I "hear" it frequently

I don't agreeThat maybe true. However the 175DHL has a significant role off above about 10 KHz. Many of us enjoy high frequencies above this...

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
05-12-2015, 03:05 PM
The 175 drops like a rock after 12K

Wagner
05-12-2015, 03:07 PM
The 175 drops like a rock after 12K
Disagree

Wagner
05-12-2015, 03:10 PM
That maybe true. However the 175DHL has a significant role off above about 10 KHz. Many of us enjoy high frequencies above this...WidgetAlthough the "175" certainly doesn't give rise to the ear bleeds so common with many of the titanium dome and "super" types (and probably can't reproduce dog whistles) your observation does not line up with the results had during a trip to Zilch's "lab" a few years back
The "175" gets a bad rap as for it's (in)ability to produce "convincing" ("complete") Music yet it does (a whole lot of it and well beyond "10KHz")
I only care about the parts that I can hear anyway :)

Maybe my pair were an anomaly or possessed magic diaphragms?

weirdtastes
05-12-2015, 08:07 PM
My cabs are mirrored. and the cross over boxes are sheet metal I believe.

As far as missing the highs this was Zilch's advice shortly after I purchased them "These are "Legacy," somewhat rare, and collectible. I would not be considering any mods that cannot be 100% reversed." so I made no changes.

I have the same issue with some Tannoys which are only two ways, advice was to add JVC electrostatic tweeters, which I bought but just never added. I can live with the two way sound, can't hear the real highs anyway.

When I purchased the C-40's I had a friend who builds turned salad-bowl speakers/systems test them. He assesment was that they are keepers, and so they are.

Wagner
05-12-2015, 09:23 PM
My cabs are mirrored. and the cross over boxes are sheet metal I believe.

As far as missing the highs this was Zilch's advice shortly after I purchased them "These are "Legacy," somewhat rare, and collectible. I would not be considering any mods that cannot be 100% reversed." so I made no changes.

I have the same issue with some Tannoys which are only two ways, advice was to add JVC electrostatic tweeters, which I bought but just never added. I can live with the two way sound, can't hear the real highs anyway.

When I purchased the C-40's I had a friend who builds turned salad-bowl speakers/systems test them. He assesment was that they are keepers, and so they are.

My C40s ("001"s) never left me wanting for anything at all on the top end, nothing
The middle to top is lifelike, especially on Jazz and any well recorded vocal or acoustic instrumentation
I have only wanted at times for a more solid bass with Rock and certain Classical pieces
No one who ever heard them wasn't amazed
I ran mine up on end, with the horn's "scoop" opening at the floor (I wasn't lucky enough to have a mirrored pair)
Yes, keepers indeed
Regrettably, poor health forced me to sell my pair, as well as many other pieces of equipment I spent years accumulating
I miss them very very much