PDA

View Full Version : Subwooffer with JBL 2245H

andychris
04-16-2015, 10:27 PM
Hello
I will build a subwoofer with 1 x 2245 but for the moment I don't know what volume to use. I have enought wood to biuld a box of 340L inside. Is there anybody who has built a big enclosure for a 2245 ? Most of people build enclosures with JBL enclosure dimension bit is there sommeone that use bigger box ?

Thanx a lot

Lee in Montreal
04-16-2015, 11:56 PM
At the bottom of the page, you can see a strip that says "similar threads". Your can also get an answer there. ;-)

Lee

macaroonie
04-17-2015, 12:30 PM
It's probably a good idea to use the B460 as a model. This of course uses the BX63 for really low eq.
A bigger box will get you lower also.

JeffW
04-17-2015, 02:26 PM
340L is 12 Cu Ft, that's the classic 2245 sub build

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?24178-2245-Subwoofer-Box-12-Cubic-Ft

More plans here

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/technical/1983-subs.htm

Vottboy
03-19-2017, 04:36 PM
Hello
I will build a subwoofer with 1 x 2245 but for the moment I don't know what volume to use. I have enought wood to biuld a box of 340L inside. Is there anybody who has built a big enclosure for a 2245 ? Most of people build enclosures with JBL enclosure dimension bit is there sommeone that use bigger box ?

Thanx a lot I use a pair of ASH 6118 cabinets each with a 2245H driver in them. When you get the cabinets, remove the stock boat anchor drivers and sell them on Ebay, tear out the wiring and replace with better stuff. You should also glue every seam by reaching inside with an extension arm and turning the cabinets so the glue flows properly into the joints. This is the best bass I have heard yet in any venue or home driving them with Atma Sphere MA-1 OTLs fed by two MP1s in series. I haven't yet heard Eminent Technologies fan type subwoofers, but they are very expensive and require an additional two add on rooms for cabinets. After you are done, be careful that you don't ruin your guts or make yourself permanently blind due to detached retinas. I am not joking, infrasound in large quantities can hurt you. After a prolonged 16 Hz undertone in an organ solo for several minutes, my bowels actually cut loose, and I am not prone to that. It sure sounds great, though. Adjust your pampers accordingly.

Lee in Montreal
03-19-2017, 04:49 PM
I use a pair of ASH 6118 cabinets each with a 2245H driver in them. When you get the cabinets, remove the stock boat anchor drivers and sell them on Ebay, tear out the wiring and replace with better stuff. You should also glue every seam by reaching inside with an extension arm and turning the cabinets so the glue flows properly into the joints. This is the best bass I have heard yet in any venue or home driving them with Atma Sphere MA-1 OTLs fed by two MP1s in series. I haven't yet heard Eminent Technologies fan type subwoofers, but they are very expensive and require an additional two add on rooms for cabinets. After you are done, be careful that you don't ruin your guts or make yourself permanently blind due to detached retinas. I am not joking, infrasound in large quantities can hurt you. After a prolonged 16 Hz undertone in an organ solo for several minutes, my bowels actually cut loose, and I am not prone to that. It sure sounds great, though. Adjust your pampers accordingly.

Do you mean you replaced the original 2242H with a 2245?

audiomagnate
03-20-2017, 07:42 AM
Go big! The best box is no box (infinite baffle).

Lee in Montreal
03-20-2017, 10:09 AM
When you get the cabinets, remove the stock boat anchor drivers and sell them on Ebay...
Well, the 2242 is far from being a boat anchor, unless it is literally dead. Nop. It is just better suited for a different range of bass. You don't 16Hz when doing live sound or clubs. ;-)

BTW If you had measurements of your combo, that would be great. The 2245 has a much larger Vas (29cft-820L) than the 2242 (10cft-283L), and I wonder how it behaves with a small chamber behind.

JeffW
03-20-2017, 10:23 AM

Now all I need is a fireplace!

hjames
03-20-2017, 01:15 PM
Now all I need is a fireplace!
Or, so what my friend Steve did -
build the box ... heck, build 2 of them and stack them in a handy closet ...!
(He built 2 more later on and has 4 in that stack - but I can't find a picture of his final config right now)

JeffW
03-20-2017, 01:47 PM
Now all I need is a handy closet!

mech986
03-20-2017, 10:13 PM
I think the Adcom stacks are to keep the subs from moving out.

quindecima
03-21-2017, 04:18 PM
I use a pair of ASH 6118 cabinets each with a 2245H driver in them. When you get the cabinets, remove the stock boat anchor drivers and sell them on Ebay, tear out the wiring and replace with better stuff. You should also glue every seam by reaching inside with an extension arm and turning the cabinets so the glue flows properly into the joints. This is the best bass I have heard yet in any venue or home driving them with Atma Sphere MA-1 OTLs fed by two MP1s in series. I haven't yet heard Eminent Technologies fan type subwoofers, but they are very expensive and require an additional two add on rooms for cabinets. After you are done, be careful that you don't ruin your guts or make yourself permanently blind due to detached retinas. I am not joking, infrasound in large quantities can hurt you. After a prolonged 16 Hz undertone in an organ solo for several minutes, my bowels actually cut loose, and I am not prone to that. It sure sounds great, though. Adjust your pampers accordingly.

NICE!!!!!!!!!! I have two 2245 baskets, I can see a mission coming up

JuniorJBL
03-21-2017, 07:01 PM
NICE!!!!!!!!!! I have two 2245 baskets, I can see a mission coming up

Edgewound can help you with that!! ;)

JuniorJBL
03-21-2017, 07:02 PM
Or, so what my friend Steve did -
build the box ... heck, build 2 of them and stack them in a handy closet ...!
(He built 2 more later on and has 4 in that stack - but I can't find a picture of his final config right now)

That is very cool!!

I would love to see the final config!! :D

Now all I need is a handy closet!

Yep!! That closet is pretty handy!! :rotfl:

1audiohack
03-21-2017, 09:50 PM

It would be interesting to do the math on that "enclosure" with it's long pipe outside the box.

Barry.

svollmer
03-22-2017, 05:43 AM
That is very cool!!

I would love to see the final config!! :D

Yep!! That closet is pretty handy!! :rotfl:

Yes, the closet is handy - for sub storage! :D

The Adcom amps were just placed there for a little while. The final configuration is below. My wife and I are finally working on the "grills" to hide the bass traps and subs. Only a couple more to go! Our goal is to make them barely noticeable.

JuniorJBL
03-22-2017, 05:39 PM
Yes, the closet is handy - for sub storage! :D

The Adcom amps were just placed there for a little while. The final configuration is below. My wife and I are finally working on the "grills" to hide the bass traps and subs. Only a couple more to go! Our goal is to make them barely noticeable.

That IS a handy closet!! :D

I bet they sound very good!!

I have 2 and I still find them to sound better than pretty much ANY sub out there.

Congrats!! ;)

svollmer
03-23-2017, 03:14 AM
I have 2 and I still find them to sound better than pretty much ANY sub out there.

Congrats!! ;)

Thanks! And I agree with you. I've listened to several subs (not recently however) including JL, Wilson, Velodyne, and others and haven't heard any I liked as much. To be fair, I'm sure that has a lot to do with the rooms they were in too. But, I'm very happy with my 2245's and have no plans to change.