PDA

View Full Version : Reputation Feature Poll

Don McRitchie
11-08-2004, 05:47 PM
OK. Here’s the report on what the user reputation feature is all about. The primary function appears to be educating newbies as to which members are considered experts by their peers. A secondary feature is that it helps moderate and increase the utility of the forum by rewarding positive contributions and punishing deleterious behavior. This is accomplished using two measures – reputation points and reputation power. The dinking we played with either increases or decreases each user’s reputation points. As you gain points, you gain power. As you lose points, you lose power. This power can be translated into rewards such as increased permissions. For example, as you gain more power, you could be assigned more PM space or the ability to post larger attachments. Conversely, you can lose posting privileges that vary in scope depending on the depth of negative points you sink into.

The more power you gain, the more influence your "dinking" has on others. For example, users with average power can only add or subtract 1 point from a user with each dink. Trusted users with the highest power could add or subtract as many as 10 points with each dink. This, and a number of checks and balances, has been put in place to prevent abuse. Only trusted, high reputation member can really influence the reputation of others. To begin with, newbies are not allowed to dink anyone. You have to have at least 100 posts (all such thresholds are editable by me) to be given permission to dink, and then it is at the low level. There is a restriction on the total number of posts per day that a member can dink (currently set at 10) and there is a restriction on the minimum number of other users you dink before you can dink a given user again (currently set at 20).

Right now, I am agnostic on whether this whole reputation feature is worthwhile and I will leave it to a member vote to determine if it is to be tried here.

boputnam
11-08-2004, 07:24 PM
The more power you gain, the more influence your "dinking" has on others. ... Trusted users with the highest power could add or subtract as many as 10 points with each dink. Holyshit. "Let them eat cake..." comes to mind, and the guillotine is at-the-ready.

Infantile, and reeks of encouraging "Lord of the Flies" murderous cliques and Survivor Island power-trip alliances which overlap, are not exclusive and fraught with deceit.

Final word from me: If this is enabled, I'm out.

John Nebel
11-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Don,

Why not raise everyones limits to the dinked-up max? Resources don't appear to be a problem.

John

alskinner
11-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Don,
I certainly am appreciative of the hard work you and John Nebel put into maintaining one of the best forums on the internet. In my oppinion the reputration feature could stifle the free exchange of ideas. Anyone who reads the forum posts can tell who the reputable experts on this site are. Most of them use facts from published works and scientific data to support their oppinions and conclusions. But you never know someone out of the blue may and has come up with ideas that just work. Although I will accept the decision of the majority I can see the possibility of abuse using this feature.

lfh
11-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Points and power... IMO such things belong to games...

scott fitlin
11-09-2004, 05:12 PM
I see how this feature could wind up becoming abused, and also could scare away newbies from posting, if they are made to feel like they dont know enough!

This forum does have its resident gurus about crossover design, box tuning, and everything else, but we have also been a very open forum in welcoming newbies aboard. I dont see any reason to disturb the balance of " experts " to " enthusiasts " to " beginners " ratio!

The reputation feature could promote a class system where some are considered Royalty and others are considered farmers, and this would promote an air of snobbiness on the forum! Not a good thing!

Even though I initially did vote for the reputation feature to be turned on, I understand the points being made, and wish I could change my vote!

We share a vast amount of knowledge, and skills on this forum, and people come here to learn and like when they do something that works out better than what they could go to the store and buy today! I have been told by younger people that they are amazed at what they got off Ebay ( JBL ) and what to do with it, and that they learn alot from this forum, and thats important.

Toss the reputation feature, we dont need it!

GordonW
11-09-2004, 09:57 PM
Even though I'm one of the people that probably could stand to "gain" by such a system (at least in theory), I don't think it's a good idea. No need to bring "power struggles" into the board. I think that people here can already figure out, pretty quickly, who the people with genuinely good info and expertise are here... they don't need to be "hand-held" or "graded".

In short, power corrupts, and all that. No need to potentially "concentrate" power...

Regards,
Gordon.

andresohc
11-10-2004, 01:08 AM
I dont believe this would be helpful for the site. Part of the process of transitioning from a newbie to a level of comfort with the site is making those determinations yourself. I think the members do a pretty good job of using humor and tact to diffuse, mediate and correct errant posts (which this forum has very few of). I know the times I have reacted negatively to a post, other members have jumped in to help diffuse or make me feel better about the process with polite and usually sincere offerings. At least now I know what a troll is.
Why fix what isnt broken?

4313B
11-10-2004, 06:20 AM
Holyshit. "Let them eat cake..." comes to mind, and the guillotine is at-the-ready.

Infantile, and reeks of encouraging "Lord of the Flies" murderous cliques and Survivor Island power-trip alliances which overlap, are not exclusive and fraught with deceit.

Final word from me: If this is enabled, I'm out.:scold: I would prefer you stay and help me dink every post made. I will say the dink fest would be more fun if it had a more dire air about it. The gay little pastel orange dashes for "worst reputation" are... well, gay. If we can't have a "Spawn from Hell" icon that gets uglier and uglier the worse the rep gets can we at least have the lame little dashes a nice, fresh, deep blood red? :die:

Zilch
11-10-2004, 12:19 PM
If 10 dinks = 1 whack,

I'm a whacker wannabe.

Apparently, there's more $$$$ in games than videos, anyway.

May I have another, please?

Ut, oh, ... will Google find this?

:rockon1: :bouncy:

Alex Lancaster
11-10-2004, 12:59 PM
:) I love all this fussing, flustering and generally f ´ing arround, keep it up, please.

Guido
11-10-2004, 01:40 PM
Keep it as it is

IT IS A GREAT FORUM

Dynacoman
11-10-2004, 05:02 PM
I never believed in the class system, wars were fought over these things.
Leave as is.

Jim

Tom Loizeaux
11-11-2004, 06:43 AM
I think the "member grade" and number of posts tell a newcomer a bit of who we are. Then there's our profile and, if someone wanted, the ability to read a collection of our posts...the real truth of the quality of our input!

Tom

SteveW
11-11-2004, 09:41 AM
I'm a textbook newbie. I know a lot about some things, and am quite ignorant of others. Guys like me go to forums to fill in the blanks. It's painfull to sort through all the crap. A rating system would help, particularly if you could sort to highly rated posters. The idea is excellent, and should be applied to 99.9% of forums.

This forum is not one of them. Quality feedback comes from the most knowledgeable members, and a newbie can sense this immediately - so it's already self policed. Dinking is redundant. This forum has the highest S/N ratio I've experienced, and seems quite receptive to the newbie. The atmosphere here is such that you feel as if you owe the forum something in return, and you better know your shit before you do. Don't fix what ain't broke.

Let's see...... I wrote this cause I don't want to see bo' leave.... he turned me onto Giskard - who's pro-dink, and fixing me up big time.....gee, I hope my stuff's not in the lake!

boputnam
11-11-2004, 10:25 AM
This forum has the highest S/N ratio I've experienced, and seems quite receptive to the newbie. ... The atmosphere here is such that you feel as if you owe the forum something in return... Dood...

Great post. Other forums I frequent BBQ and then don't even bother to eat newbies - they just like to see them suffer. All forums struggle with newbies coming-in and re-introducing old topics. This forum alone stands-out in it's participant's willingness to refer to prior Threads (using Search) and welcome the new neighbors. We never know what knowledge, experiences or fun they might share with us. In our manner/style of referring and replying, it is (IMO) quickly obvious who has useful experience or knowledge to share. And, most importantly, we self govern - we keep opinion labelled as such, and refer to documentation when relevant.

Your post really credits Uncle Don, and his leadership of this place - who I think will show his typical wisdom in not deploying this neutron device.

4313B
11-11-2004, 12:05 PM
Let's see...... I wrote this cause I don't want to see bo' leave.... he turned me onto Giskard - who's pro-dink:rotfl: I am definitely not pro-dink. I think this entire thread is stupid, but evidently necessary for some reason. :D

Don McRitchie
11-11-2004, 12:31 PM
Your post really credits Uncle Don, and his leadership of this placeYou obviously haven't seen my "curtain call" post (do a search):D

Don

Chas
11-11-2004, 01:45 PM
I vote for Giskard as Emperor :D :D :D !!

4313B
11-11-2004, 02:09 PM
Wow! Thanks!
I just got fired today so a new job would be excellent! :rotfl:

johnaec
11-11-2004, 02:22 PM
I just got fired today ... :rotfl:'Spending too much time hanging out here, eh...? :cool:

SteveW
11-11-2004, 02:31 PM
Giskard was just spotted fishing my stuff out of the lake! ;)

boputnam
11-11-2004, 06:10 PM
You obviously haven't seen my "curtain call" post (do a search):D Dammit, Don!! :bash:

Curtain call for Bo. Curtain goes up in five minutes. Doh!! :banghead:
There I was, flying Business Class on Southwest (that's what B seating stands for, right?) coming back late from a day-trip to Albuquerque, and missed it! "Centurious L100rideous Interruptus". I should surely get dinked for that...

Sorry, my L100 loathing faithful - I have failed you. Penance? 100 hrs in front of L100's...

Alex Lancaster
11-12-2004, 12:00 AM
;) Giskard, Your new job is empOrer, what is it, and then some people complain about mangling the "English" lang., really, I have seen so horrible spelling.

4313B
11-12-2004, 12:35 AM
The empOrer's job is to sit on the throne, aka toilet, and occasionally scrub in and around it with his toothbrush.

Chas
11-12-2004, 06:40 AM
"Giskard, Your new job is empOrer, what is it, and then some people complain about mangling the "English" lang., really, I have seen so horrible spelling"

I stand corrected....my day yesterday was almost as bad as Giskard's!

Titanium Dome
11-15-2004, 05:50 AM
The empOrer's job is to sit on the throne, aka toilet, and occasionally scrub in and around it with his toothbrush.

:smthsail: Please don't flush! Some of us are in the bowl. :smthsail:

If the "dinking" system is implemented, then I'm certain I can somehow generate a negative score for myself and perhaps achieve LOWEST SCORE EVER or Biggest Dink in the Forum status.

Maybe a negative dink from me would actually raise your score?

Anyway, in real life I run a gang prevention program and often have been characterized as a "Big Di#k" by several gangbangers, so how much of a stretch is it to become the forum's Big Dink?

4313B
11-15-2004, 08:00 AM
'Spending too much time hanging out here, eh...? :cool:Not really. I have been moving a local county vocational school off an earlier version of Novell and Windows 98 to Novell 6.5 and Windows XP since the first of the year. In late October they offered me a permanent position and I accepted. A nice county job with great benefits. I filled out all the paperwork and was quite happy about it.

Last Wednesday, the 10th of November, was the monthly board meeting. When my shiny new contract was presented to the school board by my superintendent the school board rejected it with the reason being "no money" for any new hires. Additionally, all current short term employees were to be terminated effective immediately so I got my walking papers first thing Thursday morning (Bush just got inexplicably re-elected, hence no new funding for schools). I think it's funny. I did think about ramming my car into a concrete pillar at 140 mph on the way home but for some idiotic reason it appears it was just a passing fancy. :rolleyes:

Anyway, whatever...

johnaec
11-15-2004, 08:19 AM
Bummer, Giskard. But with that great county pay you built up, unemployment benefits ought to give you lots of time to focus on speakers now! :D
I've spent the last two weekends in the office implementing new routers, moving the company website to an offsite server, and plugging in an Internet tunnel for inter-office communications. Ain't IT fun...? :rolleyes:

John

boputnam
11-15-2004, 08:29 AM
Bummer, Giskard. :(

Lousy news...

Don McRitchie
11-15-2004, 08:42 AM
I'm truly sorry to hear about this Giskard. I missed your original post on the 11th and only now became aware of this. We're going to have to ramp up Giskard's Speaker Repair and Reconing shop into a full time vocation :)

Don

Mr. Widget
11-15-2004, 11:11 AM
I have been there myself. It really sucks. :(

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
11-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Absolutely and I know the feeling well.

Sorry to hear though. So you can be a full time pain in the arse around the house for the moment hey.

Ian:eek:

Zilch
11-15-2004, 01:53 PM
Giskard: Maybe we're just political animals, but were that to happen around here, after a couple of letters to the editor about the sad state of computer infrastructure in our schools, we'd be standing out in front of the supermarket on a couple of weekends to gather enough signatures to put a small dedicated parcel tax on the ballot for the purpose.

After the next election, there'd be a million-dollar budget for you to "administer." There seems to be no end to what the voters will approve here, in small increments, at least, for the benefit of their offspring.... :D

Mr. Widget
11-15-2004, 02:36 PM
Most of the country seems to have gone with the mandate from God and would rather their kids go blind than pay higher taxes. Ok maybe not when stated so simply, but most of this country won't spend a penny for the other guy's kids.

Hell I don't have any children and I am happy to pay taxes to educate the little bastards. If we don't teach them well they will all grow up to be just as dumb as their parents... did I say that?

Widget

boputnam
11-15-2004, 03:26 PM
...I don't have any children and I am happy to pay taxes to educate the little bastards. Dood!! :bash:

Widget need time-out. Widget go to corner... :slink:

Mr. Widget
11-15-2004, 03:39 PM
Whaaaaat?

You don't think the little bastards need any learn'n? :D

Widget

boputnam
11-15-2004, 04:25 PM
Man, I fear your nice demeanor is trapped in that computerized router... :rolleyes:

Zilch
11-15-2004, 05:50 PM
If we don't teach them well they will all grow up to be just as dumb as their parents....
WidgetYup. We need to teach them not to have the same ecologically unsoud lapse of judgement - having THEM! :D

speakerdave
11-15-2004, 11:37 PM
. . . . so I got my walking papers first thing Thursday morning . . . .
The good guys take one on the chin. Dammit, G., that's a bummer. I read your post this morning and have had to use the day to absorb it. I'm betting that home remodel you mentioned a while back was based on the hope you had for that job. I experienced the same ups and downs enough times in my forties. I had the great good fortune to have a wife who made a living and that enabled me to go back to school and finish my degree and a teaching credential (with my kids watching--best thing I ever did). Don't know what I would be doing now otherwise.

David

scott fitlin
11-16-2004, 12:00 PM
Wow! Thanks!
I just got fired today so a new job would be excellent! :rotfl:I thought you were kidding around! I see now you werent, this sucks, I hope you find a good job that you like fast!

Sorry to hear, but good luck, you will be OK!

Guido
11-17-2004, 04:44 AM
Not really. I have been moving a local county vocational school off an earlier version of Novell and Windows 98 to Novell 6.5 and Windows XP since the first of the year. In late October they offered me a permanent position and I accepted. A nice county job with great benefits. I filled out all the paperwork and was quite happy about it.

Last Wednesday, the 10th of November, was the monthly board meeting. When my shiny new contract was presented to the school board by my superintendent the school board rejected it with the reason being "no money" for any new hires. Additionally, all current short term employees were to be terminated effective immediately so I got my walking papers first thing Thursday morning (Bush just got inexplicably re-elected, hence no new funding for schools).
Anyway, whatever...Hey Giskard!

Seems to be the first revenge of Bush and there will be more :(
A shame as in your case I'm sure it did hit the wrong. They should fire the people that vote.... OK, no more politics!
Please do us a favour and open the one and only real JBL PRO-SHOP. With your knowledge and JBL connections (or was it the oracle of delphi :D ) we can only benefit from such a decision.

jbl
12-17-2004, 02:56 PM
I think it's a bad idea. I feel that the result over time will be that only a few opinions will be considered valid and all others will be ignored. A self proclaimed guru is better than an appointed one.

Ron

Don McRitchie
12-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Just so everyone knows, the vote was overwhelmingly against implementing this feature and therefore it will remain inactive. I am hereby closing this thread.