PDA

View Full Version : JBL L220 Speakers

cjmustang69
01-01-2015, 01:36 PM
I have been looking for a nice pair of vintage speakers which I could use with a McIntosh System I have from the mid 70's. I initially thought I found a pair of ADS 910 speakers which were described as in excellent cosmetic and functional condition. When I went to look at them, functionally they were very nice, but cabinets had more "scars" than I cared to have. I then began looking at the various CL Listings in areas "relatively" close to me for another pair of vintage speakers. Last weekend I ran across a listing from South Carolina for a stereo system which included a pair of JBL L220 speakers. I wrote owner last Sunday and agreed i would drive down today to look at them. It was an 8 1/2 hr round trip, but it turned out to be well worth it. The seller is original owner of speakers and is a very nice gentleman. They were as nice as he had described - other than 1 corner frayed on a grill and a few very small veneer chips at very bottom of cabinets - they are in near mint condition. I didn't have chance to hear them play at his location - so I hooked them up in my garage to a mini system I have (see attached photo) to verify all drivers work properly (they do) and there are no dead spots or static from the L-Pads. Even though I had done research on these speakers, I was still surprised at their size, weight, and quality of cabinet. They are big and heavy!!! I have a Brother In Law visiting tomorrow - we will move these speakers upstairs in my Bonus Room and connect to the McIntosh equipment. Really excited with these speakers and anxious to hear how they perform.

DavidF
01-01-2015, 02:53 PM
They do appear to be in fine shape, drivers and all.

SEAWOLF97
01-01-2015, 03:06 PM
a LHF member just emailed me this link, since sale isn't too far away from me.

JBL Disco L222 Speakers - $999 (Beaverton)http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/fuo/4822858804.html

cjmustang69
01-02-2015, 05:55 PM
Moved the speakers upstairs tonight and hooked them up to McIntosh system. First impressions are very good for how they sound together. Look forward to playing with their position and mid and high settings to get them set up properly.

martin2395
01-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Beautiful setup!
One of the cleanest L220's I've seen in a while!

carolax
01-04-2015, 12:01 PM
Gorgeous speakers with, as I recall, lots of bass and the ability to play at 'realistic' levels. Crank 'em up and enjoy. I live in Durham and I'll let you know if it gets too loud!

cjmustang69
01-04-2015, 04:11 PM
Beautiful setup!
One of the cleanest L220's I've seen in a while!

Gorgeous speakers with, as I recall, lots of bass and the ability to play at 'realistic' levels. Crank 'em up and enjoy. I live in Durham and I'll let you know if it gets too loud!

Thank you for comments about these speakers. I've had a chance to listen to them the past few days and am really enjoying them. Their ability to convey the dynamics of music at "reasonable" listening levels is something which I wanted when I purchased them - they are able to deliver this attribute easily.

Coolness
01-07-2015, 08:04 PM
Holy smokes those things are huge! :eek:

dezmond
01-23-2015, 12:00 PM
Nice condition , have you a McIntosh to try on them ?

cjmustang69
01-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Nice condition , have you a McIntosh to try on them ?

Yes - Mcintosh MC-2105 amp, C-28 preamp, and MR-74 tuner. For me, I couldn't be happier with the McIntosh/JBL combination.