PDA

View Full Version : Just getting started

GUIBEY20
11-14-2014, 01:24 PM
So i inheritated a system which consists of grand integra m508 amp and p308 pre amp. Paired with jbl 4311wx a. Is this a good system match

hjames
11-14-2014, 02:51 PM
So i inheritated a system which consists of grand integra m508 amp and p308 pre amp. Paired with jbl 4311wx a. Is this a good system match
Ask 2 times and you still get 1 reply!
be patient - some of us have a life outside the forums!

What do you mean by Good?
What I mean is - how do you like the way it sounds?
When it comes to audio systems, what matters is what YOU like about the way a system sounds, don't you think?

I have had different kinds of systems with different sounds over the years -
I like many of them for different reasons -
but ultimately, its how it makes your music sound!

GUIBEY20
11-14-2014, 03:36 PM
So as you can see i'm new to all of it including the posting x2 my bad what i guess i need to know are the components compatable? I have no knowledge of stereo components

Mr. Widget
11-14-2014, 04:25 PM
So as you can see i'm new to all of it including the posting x2 my bad what i guess i need to know are the components compatable? I have no knowledge of stereo componentsYes they are compatible... are they the ultimate in bringing out the best in each other? I don't know, but I imagine they will perform well enough together to make you happy.

Widget

GUIBEY20
11-14-2014, 04:35 PM
THANKS MR WIDGET I WILL PROBABLY HOOK IT ALL UP THIS WEEKEND AND PUT ON SOME DOOLIN DALTON
AND SEE WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE. MY ROOM IS SMALL WITH CARPET ANY SUGGESTIONS ON ADJ OR PLACEMENT?

ie speaker stands, verticale or horizontal? or are these ALL THINGS ARE ABOUT PERSONAL PREFERENCE?

gferrell
11-20-2014, 05:10 PM
I think you will be pleased with the sound if everything works properly. Very pleased. They should work great in a small carpeted room.

Mr. Widget
11-21-2014, 07:52 AM
MY ROOM IS SMALL WITH CARPET ANY SUGGESTIONS ON ADJ OR PLACEMENT?

ie speaker stands, verticale or horizontal? or are these ALL THINGS ARE ABOUT PERSONAL PREFERENCE?The 4311 was designed to be vertical or horizontal... but definitely at ear level. If you put them on short floor stands you will need to flip them upside down to get the mids and tweeters off the floor.

Depending on your personal taste you may want them near corners or far away from them. Placement near corners or to a lesser extent walls or wall/ceiling, wall/floor locations will increase the low end output.

Widget

GUIBEY20
11-28-2014, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the advice. I slo have a pair of jbl l50's will they work with the onkyo integra m508 amp as well?

GUIBEY20
11-29-2014, 04:10 PM
i'm also seeking advice on weather i can run two amplifiers off my onkyo p308 preamp. if so do i use a y cable or plug the second amp into out 2?

grumpy
11-29-2014, 07:54 PM
Yes on the L50s. Is there something you're worried about?

i'm also seeking advice on weather i can run two amplifiers
off my onkyo p308 preamp. if so do i use a y cable or plug the second amp into out 2?

Yes, and yes. If you need to adjust the relative level of the second amp, use output 2.
The adjustment (nice to have, and unusual on a preamp) is probably under the dropdown
panel.

Manuals are a great help.

GUIBEY20
12-01-2014, 10:50 AM
being new to thisw i was worried about the amp having to much power. thanks for the advice

grumpy
12-01-2014, 04:04 PM
There is no such thing as a consumer amp having too much power. There can be a issue with insufficient
power, but ultimately, you control the volume...not the amp. If it sounds bad or hurts your ears, turn it
down. If a home system is used for unintended things (impromptu PA, hammering a ported system below
its resonant freq, sustained high power "test" tones,...), bad stuff can happen, regardless of an amplifier's
rating.

Don't get crazy or expect massive 20Hz bursts and you should be fine :)

GUIBEY20
12-02-2014, 09:21 AM
thanks i'll be hooking up the L50's tonight and getting the 4311's reworked.