PDA

View Full Version : Measurements on a Mac

JuniorJBL
11-11-2014, 01:35 PM
Has anyone here used REW or similar on your Mac to do measurements? Has anyone tried the miniDSP UMIK-1 with a Mac. Any other ideas to measure with on a Mac.

Thanks for any input. :)

grumpy
11-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Tried REW a few versions back... wanted a very loud output. Might be
more stable and flexible now (many features!). I'm sure I'll play with it again
when I get back into test mode.

I never had the gear to attempt any auto-EQ or target curve programming
of an external box.

I had more luck with Fuzzmeasure, but I don't think it interacts with external
crossover/dsp units the way REW can.

Odd
11-11-2014, 01:59 PM
I use MiniDSP, but have no experience with MAC.
UMIC-1 can be used on MAC.
You can find info about REW and MAC on the forum;
http://www.hometheatershack.com/

Earl K
11-11-2014, 02:09 PM
The latest Beta version of REW has circumvented most ( if not all ) of the earlier problems that it previously had running on a Mac .

There's no doubt it was flakey ( if it even ran ) .

The latest version ( Beta 23 ) only works with Macs running 10.7.3. and higher .

UMIK-1 mic ?
- While very convenient , using one means the measurement system can't do system timings ( one needs a 2-chnl soundcard with one chnl set as a loopback for timing purposes with the other chnl handling the pre-amp duties for the external test mic ) .

:)

JuniorJBL
11-11-2014, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

It looks like my Focusrite 2i2 works on a Mac too, although I just upgraded to 10.10 and it is not listed I am sure it will be soon.

Has anyone tried using Windows with Bootcamp? Does it pass hardware straight through to windows, or is there a software layer between the hardware and windows.

I ask these questions because I would like to have just one laptop to do multiple things except gaming (that is a windows/high end pc thing for my kids and I!!) :D

Earl have you tried this setup?

Earl K
11-11-2014, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

It looks like my Focusrite 2i2 works on a Mac too, although I just upgraded to 10.10 and it is not listed I am sure it will be soon.

Has anyone tried using Windows with Bootcamp? Does it pass hardware straight through to windows, or is there a software layer between the hardware and windows.

I ask these questions because I would like to have just one laptop to do multiple things except gaming (that is a windows/high end pc thing for my kids and I!!) :D

Earl have you tried this setup?

No ( I don't think so ) but I do own the same Focusrite 2i2 .

These days I'm mostly a PC guy ( though I also run 3 Macs of various vintages / the newest using a Power PC chip running 10.5.7 ;) ) .

I would simply join HTS and then download the latest Mac Version of REW . And give it a go .

Here's a direct link to REW v5.01 beta 23 for Mac (http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/attachments/downloads-area/70401d1413728271-v5-01-beta-downloads-asio-support-rewosxv5.01beta23.zip) ( the link won't work unless you're a forum member of HTS ) .

:)

JuniorJBL
11-11-2014, 03:38 PM
Thanks Earl I will give it a try!! :)

I am mostly a PC guy as well but got a pretty fantastic deal on a new 15" 2014 MacBook Pro. I have never been a Mac guy but I wanted to "Giver a try".

It is a very well made machine!! ;)

grumpy
11-11-2014, 04:10 PM
I'd skip bootcamp. Parallels allowed me to run Fuzzmeasure under MacOS on one screen and London Architect under win7 on another... Really sped up the measure/adjust cycle. I've had better luck with Parallels and i/o specific hardware (like usb/serial adapters) than with VMware, but I expect both have converged in competition for usability (and I haven't tried VMware recently). Much more convenient than rebooting between programs.

If you go this way, I'd recommend maxing out the RAM (if not at 16GB already).

JuniorJBL
11-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Yes my MBP is a 2.5Ghz i7 with a gforce GTX750 and 16GB and 512SSD.

It really appears that Fusion has a bit better IO than Parallels but they are both very close in a side by side comparison. I will try the demo versions and see how it goes.

Thanks (Dude) Grumpy!! :D

cooky1257
11-12-2014, 02:52 AM
The latest version of REW runs on a mac without many issues. Remember to donate, these guys have to eat.