PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer Spec vs. Harman Kardon Citation vs. Hitachi HMA

Dr.db
09-25-2014, 03:13 PM
Hey guys,
Im looking for a very dynamic and sweet sounding amp for my JBL E-145`s.
Pioneer Spec 4 or Harman Kardon Citation 16.
Which one would you choose ?
If possible; just answer if you´ve heard both of them.

And I´m wondering which amp to get for my 2240´s and 2405´s.
Either a Harman Kardon 930, 730, 402 or a Hitachi HMA 7500.

Thanks a lot,
Olaf

Ruediger
10-04-2014, 02:47 AM
For mid range and high range look for PHONIC MAX series. The smaller models have convection cooling. For low range look for used Yamaha pro amps.
If it has to be a HiFi amp, I recommend Yamaha MX1 and MX2. 2-ohm stable, plenty of power.

Rüdiger

Mr. Widget
10-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Im looking for a very dynamic and sweet sounding amp for my JBL E-145`s....How in the world did you come up with this list?
And, why not consider something new that will give you years of trouble free listening?

Widget

Dr.db
10-05-2014, 01:22 PM
@ Rüdiger :

The Phonic´s look like pretty cheap, modern pa-amps... The Yamaha Pro Amps are indeed pretty good, I have to admit. But I´m a little afraid of buying used pro-gear, as it had been pushed to the limit all the times and had been moved a lot. I think a used hifi-amp would be in a better condition after some decades...
The MX1 and MX2 seem to be good amps, but why would I need 2ohm-stable amps for my E-145´s :confused:

@ Mr. Widget :

What does a Citation 16 or Spec 4 sound like in your opinion ?

In generell, I´m not against new amps... but a decent new amp would cost aprox 3000-4000$ where as a used one like the Citation or Pioneer would be aprox 500$ plus 500$ restoration, so about 1000$ in total :)

Ruediger
10-05-2014, 11:46 PM
@ Rüdiger :
The MX1 and MX2 seem to be good amps, but why would I need 2ohm-stable amps for my E-145´s :confused:

2-Ohm stability is just an indication that they are over-engineered.

Ruediger

Mr. Widget
10-06-2014, 07:03 AM
@ Mr. Widget :

What does a Citation 16 or Spec 4 sound like in your opinion ?

In generell, I´m not against new amps... but a decent new amp would cost aprox 3000-4000$ where as a used one like the Citation or Pioneer would be aprox 500$ plus 500$ restoration, so about 1000$ in total :)I was never particularly impressed with the 16... nothing wrong with it, but nothing all the special in my experience. I never heard the Spec 4, but the Pioneers that I have had were always rather classic solid state sounding to me. I've had several over the years and don't miss any of them.

The thrust of my question however was why buy these old amps that are quite old and will still be old even after servicing, when there are so many very good amps out there... I would even go with a newer used amp over one of these two... unless you particularly like their look or there is some other compelling reason to get one.

Widget

Dr.db
10-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Which amps would you suggest ?

I would be willing to spend up to 1500$ for the bass-amp...

Chas
10-09-2014, 06:13 AM
The thrust of my question however was why buy these old amps that are quite old and will still be old even after servicing, when there are so many very good amps out there... I would even go with a newer used amp over one of these two... unless you particularly like their look or there is some other compelling reason to get one.

Widget

Ditto what Widget says. You also need to be careful about hooking up vintage solid state amps (25-30 year old) up to your valuable speakers. I wouldn't do it.

Not sure if Bryston is common in Germany, might be worth checking out if a 5-10 year old 2B, 3B or 4B are available over there.

Nick Danger
10-14-2014, 01:21 PM
Which amps would you suggest ?

I would be willing to spend up to 1500$ for the bass-amp...

A Phase Linear 400 with White Oak mods would give you an amazing sounding and performing amp for $1000 USD. You would have a vintage amp, saved from mothballs/ dump, that is good to go for another 30 years- 2 cents from the noob(hey all). Buy some music or a pair of drivers with the loot you save!

As a few folks have pointed out, it can be a bit hit- or- miss when it comes to used and older gear. Hook up a pair of speaker that won't make you cry if something goes "poof" before hooking up your precious babies.