PDA

View Full Version : JBL refurb - what color / finish?

martin2395
09-12-2014, 05:30 AM
Not wanting to hijack someone else's thread - I plan to give my 4343's a big visual overhaul soon as every time I stand next to them they make me feel sad, like two old battle worn monsters that wait to be returned to their former glory :crying:

The original JBL paint seems to be NLA outside the US and I thought of using dark grey warnex (RAL7016) and keep the front and back of the cabinet in plain black paint just like the original, whaddaya think?

grumpy
09-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Could look very nice... seems a bit dark vs the stock color (kind of an 'industrial' pairing).
Grilles?

martin2395
09-12-2014, 10:54 AM
I do have the grilles but I don't use em. They will need new cloth and 1 piece of pracing has to be glued again.

I'm even thinking about white warnex on the sides and black one on the front. I painted a cabared 4623 like that and it looked quite good.

I also plan to paint the woofer and midwoofer's cones like Kenrick does, just to give them a nice matte black look.

wpod
09-12-2014, 01:03 PM
you or Kendrick use to paint the cones a flat black? I'd really be interested in finding a proven method. Thanks, paul

martin2395
09-12-2014, 01:42 PM
I'm still doing a research what to use because I really want to keep the matte finish.
I did a pair of E130's with stuff called "indian ink", they looked very nice, shiny black combined with polished dustcaps but that's not what I want on my 2235H

I was told to try the inkjet printer ink, some manufacturers sell it in bottles, Visaton sells the LTS50 but it seems to be a kind of glossy coating that adds weight/stiffness to the cone.

I can't find the speaker paint on Kenrick's site anymore.

DingDing
09-23-2015, 03:54 PM
I'm still doing a research what to use because I really want to keep the matte finish.
I did a pair of E130's with stuff called "indian ink", they looked very nice, shiny black combined with polished dustcaps but that's not what I want on my 2235H

I was told to try the inkjet printer ink, some manufacturers sell it in bottles, Visaton sells the LTS50 but it seems to be a kind of glossy coating that adds weight/stiffness to the cone.

I can't find the speaker paint on Kenrick's site anymore.

Did you ever figure these questions out? Speaker paint for the drivers and the color for the rear panel?