PDA

View Full Version : A Nice Vintage Collection

Ducatista47
08-16-2014, 12:59 PM
http://silbatoneacoustics.com/collection.html

This manufacturer calls this its "Reference collection of vintage gear / Special emphasis on Western Electric". By all means explore the "Click for gallery" links. Their thing is to design and offer products that simulate the 1920s/1930s theater experience in home listening rooms. No surprise, they appear to favor triodes and efficient horns.

I hadn't seen the 16A horn before. Only one is required for stereo and I would not mind if someone gave me one.

Ducatista47
08-16-2014, 09:05 PM
This is a bit strange. On his (I presume) website, no less than Romy The Cat slagged the Silbatone horn speaker without having heard it. He also took exception to the scribe who wrote the brochure for it, or at least his hyperbole.

The scribe, as it ends up, is no other than Joe Roberts, who put out Sound Practices​ magazine. The blog became pretty interesting because in the ensuing back and forth Roberts laid out a nice take on the good, the bad and the ridiculous of the high end audio present reality. I rate the result a solid read because Joe's answers and comments are so spot on. It's only a page.

http://www.goodsoundclub.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=1&postID=9376#9376

BMWCCA
08-17-2014, 06:10 AM
This is a bit strange. On his (I presume) website, no less than Romy The Cat slagged the Silbatone horn speaker without having heard it. He also took exception to the scribe who wrote the brochure for it, or at least his hyperbole.

The scribe, as it ends up, is no other than Joe Roberts, who put out Sound Practices​ magazine. The blog became pretty interesting because in the ensuing back and forth Roberts laid out a nice take on the good, the bad and the ridiculous of the high end audio present reality. I rate the result a solid read because Joe's answers and comments are so spot on. It's only a page.

Actually it runs six-pages in the thread and it becomes so tedious in the first page you want to kick the crap out of both of them. Joe shows great patience but it looks like he joined the group just to make those comments. I'd call it itching for a fight.

What I find hysterical in Romy's critique is that he takes the time to mention that he writes his comments first in Word (one assumes to easily check and correct his diatribe) before posting, and yet his drivel is inscrutable in many cases due to his spell-check errors and assumptive word substitutions. Is English Romy's fourth language or is he just so taken by the sound of his own voice that he loses all sense of propriety? I remember his infrequent contributions here and the combative nature of his exchanges. Glad he found his own forum where he can be as verbose as he wants and read and re-read his own words over and over. It's mostly mental masturbation. I hope he's enjoying it!

I read as far as I dared, only for the entertainment value. I loved Joe's assessment that for the price of some systems it should come with "a couple cars and a speaker". But then I, too, share his disdain for a $500 power cord!

Thanks for the link, regardless of old it is! ;)

Ducatista47
08-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Actually it runs six-pages in the thread and it becomes so tedious in the first page you want to kick the crap out of both of them. Joe shows great patience but it looks like he joined the group just to make those comments. I'd call it itching for a fight.

What I find hysterical in Romy's critique is that he takes the time to mention that he writes his comments first in Word (one assumes to easily check and correct his diatribe) before posting, and yet his drivel is inscrutable in many cases due to his spell-check errors and assumptive word substitutions. Is English Romy's fourth language or is he just so taken by the sound of his own voice that he loses all sense of propriety? I remember his infrequent contributions here and the combative nature of his exchanges. Glad he found his own forum where he can be as verbose as he wants and read and re-read his own words over and over. It's mostly mental masturbation. I hope he's enjoying it!

I read as far as I dared, only for the entertainment value. I loved Joe's assessment that for the price of some systems it should come with "a couple cars and a speaker". But then I, too, share his disdain for a $500 power cord!

Thanks for the link, regardless of old it is! ;) Sorry about the length. I mostly use a tablet these days and the software on the site yielded no page break on the Android device with Chrome. The length went unnoticed by me because I soon entered a mode of briefly scanning Romy's text and fully reading Joe's, which was interesting to me. Spoiling for a fight perhaps, but if I represented a company (and wrote the copy for it) that has sound rather than making money as its primary reason for participating in the high end, and some person who had never heard the stuff was slagging the sound, I might get upset enough to invite a confrontation too.

The age of the page did not bother me because the shows I have attended since demonstrate that the high end is no better at value or believability than it was then. I know I should live and let live, it is their money after all, but it personally erodes my opinion of society that some will pay more for a power conditioner than I paid for my 4345s, and more for a power cord than my First Watt F1J cost me. And, sad to say, more for a stepped volume pot in a digital sourced rig than my complete Cambridge DAC with a digital volume control costs. Is there a prohibition against engineers participating in high end priced audio, at least as customers? In my post about the Chicago AXPONA show, I should have mentioned that most expensive speakers sounded much inferior to my humble home assembled gear, and most electronics had nothing to recommend them over off the shelf Sony units at Best Buy. Sad. The Sony units are very good, but big buck gear should at least sound better, if not special.

Horn Fanatic
09-22-2014, 09:48 PM

Romy The Cat thinks he is God's gift to audio. He slams everything and everyone at every turn. If you disagree with him, be prepared to be ridiculed. He goes to great lengths to slam Jonathan Weiss at Oswald's Mill Audio regularly. I have talked to Jonathan several times, and have found him to be a decent, well informed fellow. Frankly, I think Romy is an obnoxious, self serving, pompous ass who holds no respect for anyone but himself. His forum is nothing but his own personal echo chamber chocked with ass kissers.

H.F.

Horn Fanatic
09-22-2014, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the link, regardless of old it is! ;)

Touche'

LoveMusic
11-20-2014, 09:20 AM
http://silbatoneacoustics.com/collection.html

This manufacturer calls this its "Reference collection of vintage gear / Special emphasis on Western Electric". By all means explore the "Click for gallery" links. Their thing is to design and offer products that simulate the 1920s/1930s theater experience in home listening rooms. No surprise, they appear to favor triodes and efficient horns.

I hadn't seen the 16A horn before. Only one is required for stereo and I would not mind if someone gave me one.

Dear All,
I am looking for pair diaphragms of WE 555 driver, but it seem harly to find them , if you know where they are sold. May you send me the link of them to contact. Or you can tell me type of other diaphragm to replace for voil coil of the tweeter driver.
Thank you very much
Best Regards.