PDA

View Full Version : Effects of speaker Cabinet thickness

ngccglp
07-17-2014, 10:58 PM
Hi,

i just received a set of DIY 4507. However I noticed the wall thickness of the cabinets is only 1/2 inch plywood. I noticed most cabs are at least 3/4 inch thick. I intend to mount 2220 in them. Would it affect the sound?

Thanks.

hjames
07-18-2014, 04:06 AM
Hi,

i just received a set of DIY 4507. However I noticed the wall thickness of the cabinets is only 1/2 inch plywood. I noticed most cabs are at least 3/4 inch thick. I intend to mount 2220 in them. Would it affect the sound?

Thanks.
You are not concerned with the thickness but the deadness ...
rap the cabinet with your knuckles or a screwdriver handle and see what the resonance is like.
You can brace the cabinet to minimize resonance - and you can always coat the inside with
some of that sound mat material, if need be ...

Lee in Montreal
07-24-2014, 07:43 AM
Energy and coloration. A cabinet will absorb energy from the woofer. Which is what you don't want as you'd prefer that energy to be projected from the woofer. The cabinet will also resonate to a certain frequency and colour the sound. You want the panels to be as inert as possible. It can be done with thickness, additon of dense overlays, bracing or shape as a curved panel will not resonate as easily as a flat one.

Look at older A7 cabinets (and a lot of others). Back in the day, it was clear that cabinet ridity was not high in the concerns. ;-)