PDA

View Full Version : 4312 crossover question

ptechjpjr
06-28-2014, 04:05 PM
Hello jbl folks. Could you guys help me figure out how the 4312 speakers have crossover frequencies of 1500 and 6000. All of the crossover calculators say that with a 1st order design you would need a 13.25 and a 3.3 capacitor to get those crossover frequencies. How does jbl get those crossover frequencies with an 8 and a 3 capacitor?

ratitifb
06-29-2014, 01:04 AM
what impedance (complex and frequency dependant) did you use for your calculation ? "Simple theory" is one thing when electroacoustics reality and listening tests are another...

In addition and from my memory, Xover frequencie points are specified by JBL by mean of a specific electronic test fixture...

ptechjpjr
06-29-2014, 07:34 AM
Thank you for your reply. I used 8 ohm impedance for the calculations.
I'm using a set of le5-10 mids in a speaker project. Should I stick with an 8uf cap for the mid. I want to use the 1500 and 6000 crossing points for the project. Thank you again

subwoof
06-29-2014, 10:58 AM
check the promo sheets for the crossover descriptions..:)

ptechjpjr
06-29-2014, 12:42 PM
I have the schematic for my speakers and other than the L-pads, I only see 2 capacitors and 2 bypass capacitors. I don't see any inductors and it shows that the woofer runs full range. It does show that the leads are reversed going to the midrange.

Does the addition of a bypass capacitor make it an order other than 1st order?

I am totally trying to learn from the serious wealth of knowledge that is on this forum.

Thank you in advance for your help

ratitifb
06-29-2014, 10:32 PM
Does the addition of a bypass capacitor make it an order other than 1st order? :no_wag: bypass capacitor only improves the capacitor behavior to the high frequency

For me, in theory and if we are considering a constant real impedance of the driver ..., it's also a 1st order :dont-know: