PDA

View Full Version : JBL Everest rockt the house at Munich High End Show

Mctwins
05-20-2014, 09:40 AM
Hallo!

Everest sounded gorgeous and and the bass was right there, punchy as usual. Been told that there is new transducers for the 15" woofers with ribbon surround. Like those in professional.

I sat for long hours the last day and whatever kind of music they played sounded great.:bouncy:

Job well done JBL.:applaud:

To me, best speakers on the show.

Some pictures, sorry for the bad quality.

JBL K2 sounded good as well.

Dave_72
05-20-2014, 10:12 AM
Hallo!

Everest sounded gorgeous and and the bass was right there, punchy as usual. Been told that there is new transducers for the 15" woofers with ribbon surround. Like those in professional.

I sat for long hours the last day and whatever kind of music they played sounded great.:bouncy:

Awesome! Glad you had a good time! :)

Question: Do you like the Mark Levinson stuff?

martin_wu99
05-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Hallo!

Mark levison again:banghead:why pics so blur?

Mctwins
05-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Awesome! Glad you had a good time! :)

Question: Do you like the Mark Levinson stuff?

Hallo!

I had a good time that's for sure:)

They had new integrated amp from ML, the one on the top shelf, with new DAC feature, don't remember the model now. Think it was around 200Watts at 8 ohm. They had this connected to the K2. The mono blocs ML No.53 is a 500Watts at 8 ohm, it is a switching amplifier class I, like the Crowns but not exactely the same topology, some difference. Crown amp is another animal.

There seems to be nothing wrong with the ML, they hold a good grip on the JBL's. The sound was good, but the Everest had a good and clean HF and UHF resolution. I was amazed that it played so well in that room with little amount of treatment. Oh boy, how would these sound like in my room;)

Mark levison again:banghead:why pics so blur?

Old mobilephone with dirty lins:crying:

Fort Knox
05-21-2014, 04:18 AM
Hallo!

There seems to be nothing wrong with the ML, they hold a good grip on the JBL's. The sound was good, but the Everest had a good and clean HF and UHF resolution.

I've heard plenty of live gigs ..and the listener's mention of HF and UHF usually spells issues

timc
05-21-2014, 05:22 AM
I was also there. IMO the Everests played far inferior to the K2. There where huge problems With the room both in the bass and lower midrange. For me it is strange that Harman wants to display their top of the line Products like this. The K2 played decent, but nothing more.

They should learn from TAD when it comes to getting good sound at Exhibitions...........

For me the WE 12A/13A combo was the star of the show.

richluvsound
05-21-2014, 10:57 AM
I didn't make it this year ,but speaking to Guido , the Everest fell short of expectation ,as did the K2 . It sounds like Andrew Jones stole the show again … :)

Rich

SEAWOLF97
05-21-2014, 11:13 AM
why pics so blur?

because in lower light, with a low sensitivity sensor and no flash , the shutter stays open longer. Most users cannot hold steady for exposure below 1/60th of a second, hence BLUR.

if you had flash, its fast duration overrides the low light shutter speed, but it's possible to still get "ghosting"

rather simple.

grumpy
05-21-2014, 11:51 AM
It may well be that the TAD Reference and Monitors are less sensitive to room setup, or the prescribed demo space more consistent... I've heard excellent reproduction from several different E2 and S9900 setups, but -consistently- good demos from the TADs (in different venues, but very similarly configured rooms.

I'd be only too happy to live with a set from both mfgs to compare long-term :)

Mr. Widget
05-21-2014, 01:52 PM
It may well be that the TAD Reference and Monitors are less sensitive to room setup, or the prescribed demo space more consistent... I've heard excellent reproduction from several different E2 and S9900 setups, but -consistently- good demos from the TADs (in different venues, but very similarly configured rooms.

I'd be only too happy to live with a set from both mfgs to compare long-term :)I'm not sure if the TADs are more room friendly or not, but I've talked to Andrew Jones at length about his "set up"... he typically spends about a week before the show dialing in his room and demo. It is no accident that his presentations are frequently superior. Having a great system and his decades of experience don't hurt either. :)

Widget

timc
05-21-2014, 02:51 PM
I'm not sure if the TADs are more room friendly or not, but I've talked to Andrew Jones at length about his "set up"... he typically spends about a week before the show dialing in his room and demo. It is no accident that his presentations are frequently superior. Having a great system and his decades of experience don't hurt either. :)

Widget

I know. I just Puzzles me that Harman is not doing the same. TAD is using the same room every year in Munich, so that is a huge advantage.

richluvsound
05-21-2014, 11:17 PM
I know. I just Puzzles me that Harman is not doing the same. TAD is using the same room every year in Munich, so that is a huge advantage.

All salient points Gents. Thank you !

Rich

Mctwins
05-22-2014, 12:10 AM
I was also there. IMO the Everests played far inferior to the K2. There where huge problems With the room both in the bass and lower midrange. For me it is strange that Harman wants to display their top of the line Products like this. The K2 played decent, but nothing more.

They should learn from TAD when it comes to getting good sound at Exhibitions...........

For me the WE 12A/13A combo was the star of the show.

I was only at the TAD room, very shortly, when I was in the room they played with the small monitors. I totally forgott to go back there and listening to the large TAD speakers.:banghead:

The room was bigger compared to Harman's room. It is not comparable, the speakers should be in the same room to do a fair comparison.

The Everest sounded more than good in that room with little treatment. It had the best bass response at the show, tight and controlled. I sat on the front seats and here it sounded best.

timc
05-22-2014, 12:36 AM
I was only at the TAD room, very shortly, when I was in the room they played with the small monitors. I totally forgott to go back there and listening to the large TAD speakers.:banghead:

The room was bigger compared to Harman's room. It is not comparable, the speakers should be in the same room to do a fair comparison.

The Everest sounded more than good in that room with little treatment. It had the best bass response at the show, tight and controlled. I sat on the front seats and here it sounded best.

1: The monitors sounded better than the large ones. More coherent. They don't have the same low frequency oomph, but i would prefer the monitors and use the rest of the $$ for a custom LF system.

2: I disagree. Since the dispersion and Power response of the the two loudspeakers are diferent they will be at their best in different rooms. That the Everests needed a larger room is a no brainer.

3: I maintain my oppinion that the Everest sounded mediocre at best. I have heard what the 1500Al series of woofers can do, and believe me, this wasn't even Close. I tried most of the seats. The bass was best when standing at the back on the left side.

Dave_72
05-24-2014, 01:55 PM
Hallo!

They had new integrated amp from ML, the one on the top shelf, with new DAC feature, don't remember the model now. Think it was around 200Watts at 8 ohm. They had this connected to the K2. The mono blocs ML No.53 is a 500Watts at 8 ohm, it is a switching amplifier class I, like the Crowns but not exactely the same topology, some difference. Crown amp is another animal.

There seems to be nothing wrong with the ML, they hold a good grip on the JBL's. The sound was good, but the Everest had a good and clean HF and UHF resolution. I was amazed that it played so well in that room with little amount of treatment. Oh boy, how would these sound like in my room;)

Old mobilephone with dirty lins:crying:

That's cool...

Ok, thank you for the rundown of equipment. Sounds good.

Yeah, the Levinson stuff is good, but there's better, imo. As far as the Everest, I can only hope to have those!

Dave_72
05-24-2014, 02:00 PM
I'm not sure if the TADs are more room friendly or not, but I've talked to Andrew Jones at length about his "set up"... he typically spends about a week before the show dialing in his room and demo. It is no accident that his presentations are frequently superior. Having a great system and his decades of experience don't hurt either. :)

Widget

Yeah, I have been to the TAD demos several years @ CES now. It is a truly great experience. It got my best sound of the show year after year. I suspect CES 2015 won't be any different.

martin_wu99
05-26-2014, 02:27 AM
Yeah, I have been to the TAD demos several years @ CES now. It is a truly great experience. It got my best sound of the show year after year. I suspect CES 2015 won't be any different.
Did you go to Munich High End Show this year?