PDA

View Full Version : 2402 silver paint

davidpou
03-03-2014, 08:01 AM
Hi,
i got some 2402s for alitlle DIY project. They are working fine and do just well with the ohmeter but as you can see on the picture the silver paint is damaged. Anyone know how I could give these babies a younger and nicer look ? I would like them to rebecome silver completly.
Thanks for your help
Dave

Maron Horonzakz
03-03-2014, 08:43 AM
Any body want to tell him how to restore this tweeter...while i go to puke..!!!!!

ratitifb
03-03-2014, 09:00 AM
as you can see on the picture the silver paint is damaged. Anyone know how I could give these babies a younger and nicer look ? I would like them to rebecome silver completly.61600:confused:from my knowledge the 2402 is only with brushed aluminium finish or sometimes (nicely;)) black painted but never (ugly:eek:) silver painted ...

hjames
03-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Hi,
i got some 2402s for alitlle DIY project. They are working fine and do just well with the ohmeter but as you can see on the picture the silver paint is damaged. Anyone know how I could give these babies a younger and nicer look ? I would like them to rebecome silver completly.
Thanks for your help
Dave

Take it apart, chuck the various pieces in a drill (or lath if you have one) spin them,
and polish up with steel wool or superfine sandpaper, then finish with buffing compound
and WASH WELL with solvent to get rid of all the grit!

Don't want any grit near the diaphram!

Earl K
03-03-2014, 05:18 PM
Some input from this older thread ( I've always enjoyed Paragon's sense of aesthetics ) ;

Click the pic !

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=9933&stc=1&d=1126543539 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?6647-075-(2402)-brass-parts&highlight=)
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=9085&stc=1&d=1122050751 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?6647-075-(2402)-brass-parts&highlight=)

Obviously the units come apart ( say, for polishing after silver-paint removal or diaphragm replacement ) .

:)

davidpou
03-04-2014, 12:38 AM
Well thank you very much.... Writing here, with the jet lag between our country, is like chrismas...you wake up in the morning, and hey ! you have presents !
many thanks guys, and Madame.
David

subwoof
03-06-2014, 06:27 PM
That version was produced with a black painted horn and the brushed aluminum "bullet" - looks like somebody tried to match it to the later ferrite magnet version that had the horn brushed also.

stick the bullet in a 1/2 drill and polish away at LOW SPEED with a quality 100 grit waterproof sandpaper in your hand and plenty of water..

LOW SPEED..I mean it.

it will absolutely shine in a short amount of time.

Then burnish and paint the horn semi-gloss black with the most expensive spray paint you can find.

done

davidpou
03-08-2014, 12:44 AM
Well I guess I followed your advise the sand paper did most of the job and I used "pierre d argent" just after and here is what I got (I guess our friend can stay with us now....but won't show the state of my thumb though....):6161061611but (call me never satisfied) how can I get this ? (the kenrick way):61612

hjames
03-08-2014, 07:07 AM
Looks like those were polished with something like jeweler's rouge or a fine buffing compound like Simichrome, Brasso or the like
(to get that mirror finish) and then coated with something like yellow iridite ... (a non-tarnishing outer coating - its tough to "plate" aluminum).
To get a chrome like finish, after the initial wet-sanding, you work through finer and finer "grits" to get rid of all the scratches and increase the smooth shine.

Chuck the inner "bullet" back in the drill and use a rag with polish to shine it up.
And Subwoof is dead-on with painting the outer material black - makes that shiny aluminum really stand out!

Simichrome can be bought from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Simichrome-390050-Metal-Polish-Tube/dp/B0002YUQ4E/
But like I said the first time, once its polished nicely, use a solvent to be sure its cleaned well and get all traces of the polish off the material -
you don't want fine grit like that getting to your diaphram of into the gap ...

I polished my old AR turntable platter with it, and used Simichrome to polish the engine cases on my Triumph motorcycle back in the 70s - and, with patience, you can get a really mirror-like finish on aluminum (I got a "nice" finish here, but with patience, I could have gone fully mirror like with more buffing time).

Of course, its always possible that they had someone measure the original parts and make replacement parts of brass turned on a lathe -
with cheap enough labor that's do-able in quantities.

(call me never satisfied) how can I get this ? (the kenrick way):
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=61612&d=1394264668

1audiohack
03-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Search "Project Brass 2402" on this site from 2005. I remember someone selling the parts on the bay a couple of years ago as well.

Earl K
03-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Search "Project Brass 2402" on this site from 2005. I remember someone selling the parts on the bay a couple of years ago as well.

Paragon ( Eckhard )

I've previously provided a link to ( his original Proof Of Concept ) thread .

I suppose it could be worthwhile contacting him to see if he still sells these parts .

hjames
03-08-2014, 11:58 AM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?6362-Project-Brass-2402H

Wow - so sad - that thread just kind of ended in 2005 with no resolution ...

Earl K
03-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Paragon / Eckhard (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?6647-075-(2402)-brass-parts&highlight=)

davidpou
03-12-2014, 01:10 AM
use a solvent to be sure its cleaned well and get all traces of the polish off the material -

Well thanks for advice again... solvent can damaged the diaphrams i gess beeing very vaporous even if well washed....

For the time being I will stop there: I have reached ma patience limits!...
If they sound well in the system I will use polish past to improve may be (L 101 lancer + 2402 = sort of Appolo ?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT4S13VZ4fE
Ok I ve got LE14A and 2402 instead of 077, but LE175 is the same.... so close stuff isn 't ?
I will tell you if someone s interested.

Lee in Montreal
03-12-2014, 07:50 AM
Well thanks for advice again... solvent can damaged the diaphrams i gess beeing very vaporous even if well washed....

Hmmm... Do you mean you polished the aluminum parts while they were still bolted to the motor? :banghead:

Maron Horonzakz
03-12-2014, 08:19 AM
S
e
e

w
h
a
t

I

m
e
a
n

Lee in Montreal
03-12-2014, 08:23 AM
S
e
e

w
h
a
t

I

m
e
a
n

Hey Vlad. Whadayamean? ;)

hjames
03-12-2014, 08:37 AM
What part of "Take it apart" was so hard to comprehend?

of course the solvent could damage the diaphram, so could the grinding compound ...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take it apart, chuck the various pieces in a drill (or lath if you have one) spin them,
and polish up with steel wool or superfine sandpaper, then finish with buffing compound
and WASH WELL with solvent to get rid of all the grit!

Don't want any grit near the diaphram!

Well thanks for advice again...
solvent can damaged the diaphrams i guess being very vaporous even if well washed....

If they sound well in the system I will use polish past to improve may be (L 101 lancer + 2402 = sort of Appolo ?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT4S13VZ4fE

Lee in Montreal
03-12-2014, 10:32 AM

of course the solvent could damage the diaphram, so could the grinding compound ...

I can't imagine all the dust, grit and gunk now stuck to the diaphragm. Next post from that fellow will be about a strange sound coming from the 2402 ;-)

hjames
03-12-2014, 12:39 PM
I can't imagine all the dust, grit and gunk now stuck to the diaphragm.
Next post from that fellow will be about a strange sound coming from the 2402 ;-)

Yep no wonder these bullets are getting rarer by the year ...
a sad tale of woe ... :crying:

davidpou
03-15-2014, 11:00 AM
Hmmm... Do you mean you polished the aluminum parts while they were still bolted to the motor? :banghead:

OF COURSE NOT :blink:
whaou!.... "décidemment lee....." !

davidpou
03-15-2014, 11:07 AM
I can't imagine all the dust, grit and gunk now stuck to the diaphragm. Next post from that fellow will be about a strange sound coming from the 2402 ;-)

diaphragm are not perfect but they are working fine .... coud you just...like... not comment on my post...any more.... at all lee ! that would do just fine by me... I am sure you have plenty to say on more interesting matters... so please just do that....:behead:

davidpou
03-15-2014, 11:10 AM

same as lee... none ! of course i took them apart!.... before anything was done... is it really you on the picture ?

hjames
03-15-2014, 11:34 AM
same as lee... none ! of course i took them apart!.... before anything was done... is it really you on the picture ?

Yep - that was taken at a listening party mid-October ...

I've been busy today recapping the crossovers for a pair of KEF 105.4s I bought last month -
major improvement from the tired old stock caps!

Lee in Montreal
03-15-2014, 11:45 AM
I am sure you have plenty to say on more interesting matters... so please just do that....:behead:

Hey Frenchie. Unless I misunderstand you, are you again starting the insult game now? Last time was not too briliant. This time is lame.

Lee in Montreal
03-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Yep - that was taken at a listening party mid-October ...

I've been busy today recapping the crossovers for a pair of KEF 105.4s I bought last month -
major improvement from the tired old stock caps!

I have recapped some 105.2 about 4 years ago. Recapping is a sword with two blades. Depending on the quality of the new caps, you may want to compensate with extra resistors to match the loss of the original ones. Most of the time, you will get a slight imbalance in the midrange.

davidpou
03-15-2014, 12:49 PM
After calling me "imbecile of the year" you go on with "frenchie" ? ok I am taking it to the administrator now. As I said DO NOT COMMENT ANYMORE ON MY POST.

Mr. Widget
03-15-2014, 01:27 PM
This is silly... if you two can't treat each other respectfully please ignore each other.

Thank you,

Mr. Widget

Fort Knox
03-19-2014, 01:30 AM

Back on thread....one of these use't to be flat green/the other flat blk