PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha RX-V775 surround receiver thoughts?

Jakob
03-01-2014, 01:49 AM
Hi all,
I'm looking for a new amp for my mother. It is to be used for both stereo and HT and the front speakers are JBL 250 ti's.
She likes to play them loud so my thought is to buy a receiver with pre-outs so an external amp may be added later if needed.
The mentioned Yamaha I have a good deal on right now. I myself has an Onkyo 709 which I think sound pretty good. Are they comparable soundwise? Or can you recommend any other brand/model?
Thanks for any input!

Mr. Widget
03-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Surround receivers are typically priced per features and not sound or build quality.

For sound quality, I like Anthem the best, followed by Rotel and Marantz in that order.

Denon tend to be the most reliable but sound about the same as Onkyo/Integra, Sony, or Pioneer. Yamaha is not a brand I'd recommend for AVRs.

Widget

Allanvh5150
03-01-2014, 06:28 PM
I have a RX-V750 that I use in a small HT system that also plays music. I also have an RX-Z11 in my main room. I can't say anything bad about either.

Allan.

keith141
03-01-2014, 07:24 PM
I have been using a Yamaha RX-Z7 for my HT with 3 separate power amps for more than 4 years. I do not have any complaints. I thought my Yamaha produces good sound quality.:banghead:

Mr. Widget
03-01-2014, 11:34 PM
An excellent example of the Internet... several data points and several opinions. :)

I set up and listen to more of these devices than most people, however I am extremely picky and care far more about audio quality than surround mode options or other features so my opinion may not always be appropriate. Obviously these two Forum members have had positive experience with Yamaha. I would suggest giving an Anthem or Rotel an audition if possible, but then again if the price is right?

Widget

Jakob
03-02-2014, 09:14 AM
It's a bit tricky I must admit.

Rotel and Anthem's models are quite expensive (at least here in Sweden). I'm looking for something below 1000USD.

Still, I'm not sure if there might be a better route to go. My mom is used to listen to the 250ti's driven by an 1980's h/k 35W/ch amp (PM635i). Now she has discovered (at an age of 70 :D ) Youtube and Spotify and has several music DVD's which made her want to move the 250 speakers to her TV-room where she just installed a new 55" smart-TV.
As she is retired and single her budget is somewhat strained so this receiver will have to last a long time. Aware of her listening habits I think we will need to install a separate amp later on to drive the 250ti's, hence the demand for preouts. Her preferences in music is jazz, big band, some modern pop and dance and the occasional classic like Mozart etc. She also has a turntable that comes to use often so a phono-section in the amp is a must.
Soundwise she like analog and she is afraid that a new amp would sound too "digital" to her. With "digital" I think she means harsch, cool and un-involving.

I appreciate all your comments!

SEAWOLF97
03-02-2014, 11:12 AM
My HT room doubles as an often used 2 channel listening area. I had the same concerns about using the Denon AVR for just music.

Solution ? I have the full stereo setup (CD,MD,phono) separate from the Denon , but the main speakers (a/d/s L-1290) serve both systems.

I'm not big into inserting switchboxes into the chain, but in this case it was the key . Searched eBay and found a 6 speaker switcher, pretty common. This was a little different as it also switched between 2 input sources. The Denon AVR outputs directly to the center and surrounds , but the mains go to the box as does the output from the Adcom 2 channel amp. So only the input selector ever gets selected, never the speakers.

All in all it works out very well.

Mr. Widget
03-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Soundwise she like analog and she is afraid that a new amp would sound too "digital" to her. With "digital" I think she means harsch, cool and un-involving.I agree with her... I would avoid surround receivers if possible. In general any old school analog receiver from 30 years ago will sound better than a modern AVR.

Widget

Mr. Widget
03-02-2014, 11:44 AM
All in all it works out very well.When I had to share my 2 channel and surround zones I used a theater bypass configuration... but like your speaker selector solution these alternatives add operational complexity that most people are not willing to live with.

Widget

SEAWOLF97
03-02-2014, 12:19 PM
but like your speaker selector solution these alternatives add operational complexity that most people are not willing to live with.
Widget

yup. pushing one button is very complex. ;)

Mr. Widget
03-02-2014, 12:43 PM
yup. pushing one button is very complex. ;)You would think that wouldn't you, but I can't tell you how many systems I've seen where the customer would end up listening to the center channel minus the L+R speakers in this scenario.

Widget

Fort Knox
03-03-2014, 03:16 AM
I agree with her... I would avoid surround receivers if possible. In general any old school analog receiver from 30 years ago will sound better than a modern AVR.

Widget

not "surround receiver"...surround preamp

Mr. Widget
03-03-2014, 12:38 PM
not "surround receiver"...surround preampI'm not sure what you're driving at, but the same can be said for Pre/pros as with AVRs.

Widget

Fort Knox
03-04-2014, 05:06 AM
I'm not sure what you're driving at, but the same can be said for Pre/pros as with AVRs.

Widget

I'm not talking .. Pre/Pro , but of AVR's w/no main amps..and of course the front pnl
"Granny" switch for av/discrete

Fort Knox
03-06-2014, 03:45 AM
I'm not talking .. Pre/Pro , but of AVR's w/no main amps..and of course the front pnl
"Granny" switch for av/discrete
Example..Adcom 880 (which I've seen for half a c note on Ebay..)

hjames
03-06-2014, 03:56 AM
Example..Adcom 880 (which I've seen for half a c note on Ebay..)

http://www.adcom-usa.com/userguides/gTP-880-ug.pdf

Funny, right on the front page of the brochure it says Digital Processing/Tuner/Preamp = ... sure sounds like a Pre/Pro to me ... or maybe its a Pro/Pre :D
my Integra DTC 9.8 is much the same - a Preamp/Processor with Tuner - hook up to external amps ... (paid $800 for it used 2 years back)

I kinda think most anyone in the industry would agree thats what a Pre/Pro is ...
What is an AVR without main amps? - why - its a Pre/Pro!

Fort Knox
03-06-2014, 08:23 AM

Funny, right on the front page of the brochure it says Digital Processing/Tuner/Preamp = ... sure sounds like a Pre/Pro to me ... or maybe its a Pro/Pre :D
my Integra DTC 9.8 is much the same - a Preamp/Processor with Tuner - hook up to external amps ... (paid $800 for it used 2 years back)

I kinda think most anyone in the industry would agree thats what a Pre/Pro is ...
Pre/Pro is a term used for Pro equip. also and I got plenty of that...including the old
two legged FM Rcvr.

Mr. Widget
03-06-2014, 08:58 AM
Pre/Pro is a term used for Pro equip. also and I got plenty of that...including the old
two legged FM Rcvr.OK, now I understand your post. In my world a Pre/pro is as Heather described... a preamp/processor, essentially any contemporary surround preamp with built in digital processing.

Widget

Jakob
03-06-2014, 01:52 PM
It's my mothers birthday tomorrow. When I go see her I'll bring along my Onkyo to see if the sound is something she can live with. If not, maybe my own solution is the way to go: I use my main speakers both for stereo and HT. In stereo mode they are run by ARC-amps (pre/power). In HT mode I use the Onkyo as pre, takes the front output signal to the video input in the ARC preamp. I need to have the ARC-preamp set at the same level as I had when I setup all HT speaker levels but I think it works OK. The downside doing it like this is that my mother needs both a new AVR and an ordinary amp (beefier than her 35w/ch harman/kardon...) which means more $$$ to spend.

Mr. Widget
03-06-2014, 01:58 PM
It's my mothers birthday tomorrow. When I go see her I'll bring along my Onkyo to see if the sound is something she can live with.Excellent idea... if she is happy with the sound, I am sure any AVR you find will work out just fine.

Widget

Fort Knox
03-07-2014, 08:39 AM

Pre/Pro aside... I think theirs obviously..a lot more to be said about HT integration into
the home stereo..I'm surprised their wasn't more bites on this thread...the 880 for example..
can you daisy chain a group of processors ....all thru one tape/mon?

dr_gallup
03-07-2014, 12:20 PM
It's a bit tricky I must admit.

My mom is used to listen to the 250ti's driven by an 1980's h/k 35W/ch amp (PM635i).

I think we will need to install a separate amp later on to drive the 250ti's, hence the demand for preouts.

If she has been using a 35 W/ch integrated amp, what makes you think you need a separate amp? There are plenty of AVR's for way under $1000 dollars that will have much higher power outputs. I know a lot of them don't publish FTC 20-20k all channels driven specs anymore but still, something like my Onkyo TX-NR809 is rated 135W with 2 channels driven and cost less than $700.

Fort Knox
03-08-2014, 08:11 AM
If she has been using a 35 W/ch integrated amp, what makes you think you need a separate amp? There are plenty of AVR's for way under $1000 dollars that will have much higher power outputs. I know a lot of them don't publish FTC 20-20k all channels driven specs anymore but still, something like my Onkyo TX-NR809 is rated 135W with 2 channels driven and cost less than $700.

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend on your mom..........

Fort Knox
03-09-2014, 04:52 AM
OK, now I understand your post. In my world a Pre/pro is as Heather described... a preamp/processor, essentially any contemporary surround preamp with built in digital processing.

Widget

ok ..so you know more abbreviations than I do..pt taken ..I still think the new technology is better than the old stuff..