PDA

View Full Version : Need input from 1501Fe owners.

spkrman57
12-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Who has these drivers and how are you using them.

I am bi-amping mine but would like to hear from those who have integrated them in their spkr system.

I'm looking for things like cabinet size (Vab) and port tuning. Also how crossed over to other drivers frequency wise and amplification used.

Comments and opinions all welcome.

Regards, Ron

Robh3606
12-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Who has these drivers and how are you using them.

Hello Ron

Asside from being used it stock systems I don't think there are many pairs floating around. I would run them set-up for extended LF response and low tune them to get the banana curve. I would cross them @ at about 700-900hz depending on the horn in a 2 way passive set-up.

Active?? Not sure it would depend on how solid the 40Hz and below is. Might set them up like my E-145's, high tune them for maximum flat and bring in subs under. My E-145's with 2235's under make an impressive low end. With their foam cored cones I imagine the clarity would be even better and with the huge vented magnet be even more dynamic. I would have to play with them to see.

Rob:)

spkrman57
12-25-2013, 06:57 AM
I definetely can see how a larger cab and lower tuning will be a major improvement.

When I see what the tax man will get me back a custom cab will be built. Priority nr #1!

Ron

hlaari
01-02-2014, 02:00 PM
I have pair of 1501Fe also:)
I hope at I will have time to start some project very soon with my 1501Fe and 476Mg

Ari

spkrman57
01-03-2014, 09:22 AM
I have pair of 1501Fe also:)
I hope at I will have time to start some project very soon with my 1501Fe and 476Mg

Ari

Be sure to share your findings with us.

We are a small group here (1501Fe owners).

I will say they really sound good. I like them cut-off as low as possible in my setup 750hz 24db/oct LR. Less sharp cutoff slope or higher frequency did not please my ears.

I must say that with a quality DSP and actually measuring the system (unlike me so far) with quality test gear would be impossible to not make these drivers do what anyone might want out of them.

I've never been a fan of foam/rubber surrounds and the drivers with "accordian" type surrounds were great in the upper midbass but lacking in the bass region.

The 1501Fe does the bass notes nicely and only gives up a little midbass/midrange "snap" comparing to my previous favorite driver the 2226!

I'm fortunate to have several SS and tube type amps to try out and the 1501Fe's are amp dependant. Now I don't have uber-quality amps, but pretty decent ones at that. In my small living room I play at quite low wattage levels.

My Adcom 555 - II amp heat sinks don't even get warm with moderately loud listening(I run the system while I shower upstairs). Who needs a bathroom stereo when the downstairs JBL's play loud and clean enough to be heard while in the shower upstairs!

I have played tubes on these before when using passive x-over and need to try again now that I'm bi-amping. Originally the tube amps sounded a bit too mellow on the 1501Fe's but I need to try tubes again to verify what I remembered them sounding like.

I hope the "taxman" will find me 1501Fe custome cabinet $$$!

Regards, Ron