PDA

View Full Version : What is Kenrick Sound Doing ? Doping? Cosmetics?

archiekaras
12-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Hi all,

I saw this video on the weekend and have become very curious about what exactly KENRICK SOUND is doing here. In the video he seems to be painting the cones ???? Does anyone know what is going on here? If he "doping" the driver? Is this done simply for cosmetics, or does this have an audible affect? I mean depending on what he is using this may add significant weight to the cone. Well, I would love to hear back from you if you know what is going on in the video. I will post the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtwWMYzainA

martin2395
12-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Looks like plain speaker paint ;)

hjames
12-19-2013, 11:05 AM
I would have expected something like an Aquaplas coating - but from watching the video,
it really does look like he's painting white domes and white speaker cones black ...

Hi all,

I saw this video on the weekend and have become very curious about what exactly KENRICK SOUND is doing here. In the video he seems to be painting the cones ???? Does anyone know what is going on here? If he "doping" the driver? Is this done simply for cosmetics, or does this have an audible affect? I mean depending on what he is using this may add significant weight to the cone. Well, I would love to hear back from you if you know what is going on in the video. I will post the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtwWMYzainA

Odd
12-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Google translation from Japanese

Revive colored color is (dye-based colorant) the cone of the speaker unit faded.
I finished the three duty 15 inches unit. 1 piece left image is the cone paper of colored paper cone after coloring before, on the right. You'll notice the air is revived stunningly beautiful. Procedure easily! Advances paint along the center of circle with a brush attached. It is hard to become the uneven coating overlap, you can expect a clean finish easily to everyone. Color and beautiful natural features. Because Do not be things like changing the mass of the cone paper, the coloring agent, different from those concentration, viscosity, such as paint so-called high, becoming the like to dye was purified well. In addition, since the ultra-pure water accounts for 65%, equal to almost no change in mass after drying, there is no characteristic as soften or harden the cone paper at the same time. Therefore, it is unlikely also impact on the sound quality. Solvents, coloring agents, constituents that are prominent are wetting agents. It depends on the environment in which the speaker is placed with respect to light resistance and durability, but If it is not place special direct sunlight such as hits, it indicates the property of fading gradually through a period of 2-3 years. It is possible to maintain the state if it is possible to maintain again in the span to see the change. Please revive the JBL unit of hand. Of course, you can use it for every cone paper manufacturer, of the type. ※ I except for the special type of coating, such as was given. ※ Please check the color image. 500 yen nationwide uniform postage ... Yamato Transport business delivery

http://jbl43.com/

martin2395
12-19-2013, 12:32 PM
I remember Visaton also making some kind of speaker cone dye. Just can't find it anymore.....

+
Found it!
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Visaton-LTS-50-Beschichtungsmittel-fur-Lautsprechermembranen-schwarz-50-ml-/380768572429?pt=Lautsprecher_Selbstbau&hash=item58a793540d

But it looks like it changes the characteristics of a speaker, from google translate:

To increase the internal damping, suppression of partial and linearization of the frequency response.

Prevents fading of the membrane.

Especially suitable for cone speakers with paper cones.

Water until hardened.

Content: 50 ml

archiekaras
12-19-2013, 11:59 PM
Thank you very much for the reply, but I still do not understand. What is it ? and where do I buy it? I would like to do some JBL cones. Also is there a white version for Yamaha NS10s. Again, much appreciated !!!

Revive colored color is (dye-based colorant) the cone of the speaker unit faded.
I finished the three duty 15 inches unit. 1 piece left image is the cone paper of colored paper cone after coloring before, on the right. You'll notice the air is revived stunningly beautiful. Procedure easily! Advances paint along the center of circle with a brush attached. It is hard to become the uneven coating overlap, you can expect a clean finish easily to everyone. Color and beautiful natural features. Because Do not be things like changing the mass of the cone paper, the coloring agent, different from those concentration, viscosity, such as paint so-called high, becoming the like to dye was purified well. In addition, since the ultra-pure water accounts for 65%, equal to almost no change in mass after drying, there is no characteristic as soften or harden the cone paper at the same time. Therefore, it is unlikely also impact on the sound quality. Solvents, coloring agents, constituents that are prominent are wetting agents. It depends on the environment in which the speaker is placed with respect to light resistance and durability, but If it is not place special direct sunlight such as hits, it indicates the property of fading gradually through a period of 2-3 years. It is possible to maintain the state if it is possible to maintain again in the span to see the change. Please revive the JBL unit of hand. Of course, you can use it for every cone paper manufacturer, of the type. ※ I except for the special type of coating, such as was given. ※ Please check the color image. 500 yen nationwide uniform postage ... Yamato Transport business delivery

Odd
12-20-2013, 01:17 AM
I have no experience with the product. You can contact Kenrick SOUND CO., LTD
You can find contact info here (http://jbl43.com/?mode=f3)

Ken ?
Rick, thinks he is a member here

martin2395
12-20-2013, 07:42 AM
You can contact Kenji through the mail address on their website, he answers within a few hours.

archiekaras
12-20-2013, 05:08 PM
You can contact Kenji through the mail address on their website, he answers within a few hours.

I fired off an email to Kenrick Sound. Hopefully they will find time to respond. I could not find Kenji's email specifically but they have info@kenrick...

svollmer
12-22-2013, 03:24 AM
I fired off an email to Kenrick Sound. Hopefully they will find time to respond. I could not find Kenji's email specifically but they have info@kenrick...

If you find out, please let us know. I have some JBL woofers that are the same model, but from different years, that are not the same "blackness". It would be nice to make them all deep black.

Or, "none more black." (Identify THAT reference!) :applaud:

BeDome
12-23-2013, 10:39 PM
Whatever they are doing, I doubt that Kenrick "engineers" are outsmarting original JBL engineering.

:crying:

If there was some "magic" that could be added to a driver with a paint brush or a spray can, then ...

Well, you know.

grumpy
12-24-2013, 01:11 AM
IIRC, the sole intent is to improve the look of faded cones... and not change their character or otherwise "improve" the driver.
This actually does take some thought and consideration.

archiekaras
12-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Fired off an email to Kenrick, so far all they have done is quote me huge $$$ for a recone...Which is understandable as the part is long discontinued...I replied to that email and am awaiting a response where I asked the questions again. I completely understand if they do not want to give away their secrets, but being a little more transparent on this issue can 1) lend a helping hand to the thousands of JBL owners that have some tired cones 2) provide some transparency as to what they are doing and if it changes the character of the speaker or maintains its original sound and is simply cosmetic. Well hopefully they respond soon.

archiekaras
01-14-2014, 10:35 AM
After a couple of emails back and forth, it looks like we get no help from Kenrick Sound. After all they are in the business of restoration and are unwilling to reveal any of their secrets. Would have been nice to know exactly what they are using on the cones, or at least if they have a cost effectie kit available rather just getting huge ridiculous quotes for their woofer refinishing services. A DIY kit spares us the cost of sending items ALL THE WAY TO JAPAN!! Anyways it is what it is I guess.

macaroonie
01-14-2014, 10:53 AM
I would suggest getting hold of an old faded cone from any old driver , pref with the colouring similar to JBL typical cones. Get a hold of Mixol dyes , soluble in alcohol and water and play about with saturation and colour.
When dry there should be no significant weight gain but the colour will return. Suggest you use a lazy susan like the Japanese chap is doing.

Fort Knox
01-27-2014, 06:37 AM

In addition, since the ultra-pure water accounts for 65%, equal to almost no change in mass after drying, there is no characteristic as soften or harden the cone paper at the same time. Therefore, it is unlikely also impact on the sound quality.

I've seen what happens to a piece of paper after it gets wet and then dries out..

hjames
01-27-2014, 07:50 AM
I've seen what happens to a piece of paper after it gets wet and then dries out..

But its not a piece of paper - its a thicker shaped, formed cone ... probably more akin to some kind of doped pulp than to a sheet of paper

martin2395
10-06-2014, 01:41 AM
I think I know what the secret formula is - it's refill ink for deskjet printers or something like that because the cone absorbs it in a second, just like in the YT clip.
I bought a small bottle at the local printer supplies shop and look! That's exactly the finish I wanted.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2wc01mg.jpg

You have to do it in 2-3 layers, and let it dry for 24 hours+ as it will dry very slow. When wet it also has a slight dark purple glow.

Pity that Kenrick charges €20 for their paint, I bought a bottle of printer ink for 5 euro's.

gcarlberg
10-06-2014, 07:16 AM
I have had great results using SEM Color Coat #15243 Satin Black for touching up both Altec (411) and JBL (LE14 & 10's) cones. It is a flexible coating used for restoring color to automotive upholstery. I made 3 quick passes about 15 minutes apart. The color is rich and has held for several years now. I did a test on a paper disk with the same application and the weight increase was 0.3 grams. There has been no discernible change in sound.

George

KTG
10-07-2014, 05:46 AM
Hi, Would like to know what sort of applicator did you use for the printer ink and or seat dye., thanks,

BMWCCA
10-07-2014, 07:12 AM
Hi, Would like to know what sort of applicator did you use for the printer ink and or seat dye., thanks,
The SEM products I've used in the automotive field were are rattle-can applications.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-15243?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKEAjwns6hBRDTpb_jkbTv1UYSJACBhberxX4WA58X bF5QR-BjntipfQygRU5muqjSqyIJC4pUrRoCSMLw_wcB

ivica
10-07-2014, 07:37 AM
The SEM products I've used in the automotive field were are rattle-can applications.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-15243?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKEAjwns6hBRDTpb_jkbTv1UYSJACBhberxX4WA58X bF5QR-BjntipfQygRU5muqjSqyIJC4pUrRoCSMLw_wcB

May be I am wrong, but JBL cones are gray.

regards
ivica

BMWCCA
10-07-2014, 07:50 AM
I agree, and I've never coated a cone. i was responding to the question about applicators for the recommended items of others.

That being said, the SEMA coatings do seem to blend into whatever they are applied to. Using a dye on a carpeted rear deck of a car they seem to darken rather than blacken the surface.

And, they do offer many colors:

http://www.semproducts.com/manage/html/public/content/techsheets/color_coat_aerosols_color_card_web.pdf

Mr. Widget
10-07-2014, 09:07 AM

regards
ivicaDifferent models are different shades of gray. Some are bluish others more neutral. On the later drivers the 4" dust caps are black.

Personally I wouldn't put anything on my drivers... I suppose ink or dye would be OK, but I wouldn't spray on any coatings.

Widget

martin2395
10-08-2014, 09:09 AM
I used a plain, soft paintbrush, nothing fancy. It took me a long time because the paintbrush was too small and I was too lazy to buy a bigger one :D
Don't paint on the surrounds because they will become very glossy.
Just don't be scared if you see stripes/uneven color, it's normal after first layer.
Let it dry (can take quite a few hours) and then bring on another layer and it should give a nice spotless finish.

I coloured my cones because my 2235h's were (ugly!) light gray with almost black dustcaps and the 2123h's had a kind of yellowish discoloration. probably due to sunlight and cigarette smoke.