PDA

View Full Version : From L40T3 to L110 - New User

DrDarkFish
09-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Hey All,

This is my first post :crying: (be nice).

I've purchased myself a nice pair of JBL-L110s (not sure which version though, A etc. ?). I was previously using a mint pair of JBL L40T3s. From my knowledge, these L110s are straight out of the factory, as in, they have not been tampered with.

My current setup is as follows:

Phono Stage: Dynavector P75
Turntable: Rega RP6
Cart: Dynavector Karat 17D3
CDP/Disc: Sony Bluray-SPDIF into Sound Card: Native Instruments Audio 6
Power Amp: Onkyo M-509
Pre-Amp: Onkyo P-309
Speaker A: JBL L110

My initial impressions of the L110 are this: These are NOT JBL L40T3s.. :D I can't believe how different they sound, worlds apart.

The L-110 are ultra flat (comparatively). I used to really like flat sound when I listened to a majority of my music through Yamaha HS-80s but the L110 were almost too flat, I had to scoop it out a bit (at least until I have transitioned from the L40T3s). There's always a transition phase.

It's been only a few days and I'm begging to understand a lot of the hype about these speakers. They are clear, have a massive sound-stage, the highs aren't taxing on the ear (surprisingly). And the mids! Where do I start on the mids... There is no comparison. The best mids i've heard on a speaker.

One interesting point: I took my L40T3s to my brothers place while I decide what to do with them. He plugged them into his Sansui AU-555. I have to say, to my surprise, the L40s sounded considerably better on his Sansui setup than on my Onkyo.. They had a new life, I think I will give it to him :) The old aphorism that JBLs sound amazing with Sansuis was certainly true with this combo.

So I guess there are a few things that would interest me:

1. How do I tell which model L110 I have?
2. Is there any benefit to moving the T3 tweeter from my L40s to the L110? Making a L110T3?
3. Is there a crossover update that most people would suggest?
4. Is there any update/repair that should be made on these aging legends?

I'm always looking for ways of improving my setup. I'm very content with the L110 as they are but if people believe there is a generally accepted hidden potential in these guys let me know.

Cheers,

DrDarkFish

Maxwelhse
09-07-2013, 06:59 PM
I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your new toys!

Hey All,

4. Is there any update/repair that should be made on these aging legends?

The woofer surrounds are probably going to need to be replaced soon...

grumpy
09-07-2013, 07:45 PM
One could compare the L96 to see what JBL, at the time, thought were improvements or necessary changes (you may or may not think the aluminum coated 044 is an improvement over the 033... Large-ish value capacitors were bypassed with small film caps... Woofers went to ferrite magnets from Alnico)

One could also look forward, and dc-bias capacitive elements:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?23070-The-continuing-saga-of-the-charge-coupled-network&p=230317&viewfull=1#post230317

The L110 and it's 10" siblings are nicely sized systems.

09-07-2013, 09:52 PM
I did find that the 033 tweeter was a little laid back when I got my L110's, so mine have been updated with 4410 components, aside from the woofer. I believe there were different woofers in the A version? Mine have the LE111A, IIRC, white aquaplas on the rear of the cone, black aquaplas would point to a later version.

I seem to remember hearing that modifying the crossover to the 4313B spec is a good thing to do. I have not finished doing that to my L150A's at this point, so can't comment on what improvement this might bring at this point. I did try a single 4313B crossover from The Bay once, but could never find a matching one, so went with a local guy that had 4410 XO's as I was already stocked with L100T mid and high parts...