PDA

View Full Version : Stylus cleaning !

richluvsound
08-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Hi Folks,

looking for a stylus cleaning product ..... seems like a minefield full of claims and the usual snake oil crap .
I would like to get some feed back on whats being used and the correct procedure .... ?

thank you , Rich

10 Watt Street
08-21-2013, 10:28 AM
One word: Onzow

Maron Horonzakz
08-21-2013, 11:17 AM
I JUST WET MY FINGER AND DRAG IT OVER THE STYLES TIP.. BEEN DOING THAT FOR 50yrs..:bouncy:

NickH
08-21-2013, 11:19 AM
people on vinyl engine have had excellent results with sticky hands. Its a child's toy but is the same as the onzow zero dust, but at a fraction the cost. A few dollars compared to 70.

Do a few searches on vinyl engine and see for yourself. I've also heard of people using Mr clean magic eraser on vinyl engine also.

I've tried neither but I'm going to get a couple sticky hands, if that tells you anything.

Nick

richluvsound
08-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Hi Nick ,

upon further research .... this is the same polymer ... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moongel-Damper-Pads-Pot-4/dp/B0002L52BE/ref=pd_sim_MI_2

Rich

Don C
08-21-2013, 12:13 PM
I don't like the Discwasher brush, it's so dense that the stylus tip doesn't want to go all the way down between the bristles. A toothbrush works better. With Isopropyl alcohol. Brush from back to front, the same direction that the vinyl travels under the stylus.

Dave_72
08-21-2013, 01:40 PM
I use alcohol on a cotton ball. Brushing back to front, of course. Works for me. If I get a lot of dust on the stylus after playing a record, I just blow it off.

Mr. Widget
08-21-2013, 02:52 PM
I don't like the Discwasher brush, it's so dense that the stylus tip doesn't want to go all the way down between the bristles. A toothbrush works better. With Isopropyl alcohol. Brush from back to front, the same direction that the vinyl travels under the stylus.I've been using the Discwasher brush for years... mine seems to work well. They may have changed over time. Mine is from the '70s.

Widget

SEAWOLF97
08-21-2013, 03:36 PM
I've been using the Discwasher brush for years... mine seems to work well. They may have changed over time. Mine is from the '70s.

Widget

works well for me too .... model sc-2 , s/b about $10 with fluid. Back side of brush has inspection mirror, lasts forever.

Mannermusic
08-21-2013, 05:02 PM
I've been using the Discwasher brush for years... mine seems to work well. They may have changed over time. Mine is from the '70s.

Widget

Second that on all counts. Ortofon MC 200.