PDA

View Full Version : Third Annual Lansing Heritage Awards

Titanium Dome
08-15-2013, 11:26 AM
For those who :eek: "didn't have enough notice" :eek: for the 2013 event, we've finalized the 2014 date:

Saturday, May 31, 2014, 5:30 to 10:00 PM in Los Angeles.

Awardees have been identified but not confirmed. We're already cooking up a couple of surprises for those who can make it.

If you rue the fact that you missed one-on-one face time with Greg Timbers, Doug Button, and Gerry Moro at this year's event and that you missed their comments on drivers, horns, and history, and that you weren't there when they gave out their contact info to anyone who asked, then...

Got a 2014 calendar? Mark it. Now.

WDJ
08-15-2013, 07:33 PM
I keep marking my calendar but my management keeps using their magic eraser....

JuniorJBL
08-19-2013, 10:15 AM
I keep marking my calendar but my management keeps using their magic eraser....

Hide it!!:D

WDJ
08-22-2013, 05:39 PM
That was funny!

Titanium Dome
08-22-2013, 07:05 PM
We've received confirmation from the honorees. Over the weekend, I'll get the info together to let you know why you should reserve May 31, 2014 for a visit to SoCal and the Lansing Heritage Awards.

Titanium Dome
08-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Who's scaled Everest twice and K2 at least four times?

Titanium Dome
08-26-2013, 08:27 AM
" I chose to go into loudspeakers instead of electronics, but I also said if I'm going to do loudspeakers, I am going to go to JBL and I want to apprentice. I want to study with these names that I’d heard, Bart Locanthi and Ed May, these are the guys who actually came up with the ideas and designed the loudspeakers for JBL in the 1950s and the 1960s."

Titanium Dome
08-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Can you guess who's described in Teaser #1 and who's quoted in Teaser #2. These are our honorees.

There's no prize, other than bragging rights.

gcarlberg
08-27-2013, 06:54 AM
Can you guess who's described in Teaser #1 and who's quoted in Teaser #2. These are our honorees.

There's no prize, other than bragging rights.

Dan Ashcraft and Mark Gander, respectively.

george

JuniorJBL
08-27-2013, 08:40 AM
This is stacking up to be another great time Dome!!

Thanks for all of your hard work and effort in putting these events together.

Looking forward to helping however I can!!:D

timc
08-27-2013, 09:01 AM
I'm considering this. Where do you live? Address so i can check for hotel prices.

-Tim

Titanium Dome
08-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Glad to see you are finally honoring someone worthy.

Since you're the guy who posted it, I'm hoping you'll be the guy who removes that stain from the thread. Please?

Titanium Dome
08-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Dan Ashcraft and Mark Gander, respectively.

george

These are two really great guys.

Dan Ashcraft's contributions to the design ethos of JBL's statement speakers goes back 30 years. He's done lots more than statement speakers, too. It'll be a fascinating evening to hear his comments on the role of design both visually and aurally.

Mark Gander goes back almost as far as Greg Timbers at JBL and he's got a motherlode of history and technology to share.

I need to hire someone to run these things so I can actually enjoy them and talk to all the talent in the room.

I got a mixed signal from Annie, as she asked, "So what new thing will you have to show them next year?" She's assuming people will get tired of the Synthesis® room (Doug Button and Jerry Morro loved it), the K2s, the PT250s and the Timbers Arrays. So I need to figure out if that question is a warning or an invitation. :hmm:

I think she's growing to like the event, as long as a few women show up to keep things real. She definitely looks forward to George's cooking!

Titanium Dome
08-27-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm considering this. Where do you live? Address so i can check for hotel prices.

-Tim

Look for San Pedro, California.

Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Harbor
DoubleTree Cabrillo Marina
Best Western Plus Inn and Suites
Sunrise Hotel
Vagabond Inn
Pacific Inn

Or if you want a true, expensive resort try

Terranea Oceanfront Resort, Rancho Palos Verdes, California

Rolf stayed at the Sunrise Hotel which had many smoking rooms and was near a party (liquor) store. It's also right next to the Harbor and its many attractions.

DavidF
08-27-2013, 09:18 PM

Dan Ashcraft's contributions to the design ethos of JBL's statement speakers goes back 30 years. He's done lots more than statement speakers, too. It'll be a fascinating evening to hear his comments on the role of design both visually and aurally.

Mark Gander goes back almost as far as Greg Timbers at JBL and he's got a motherlode of history and technology to share.

I need to hire someone to run these things so I can actually enjoy them and talk to all the talent in the room.

I got a mixed signal from Annie, as she asked, "So what new thing will you have to show them next year?" She's assuming people will get tired of the Synthesis® room (Doug Button and Jerry Morro loved it), the K2s, the PT250s and the Timbers Arrays. So I need to figure out if that question is a warning or an invitation. :hmm:

I think she's growing to like the event, as long as a few women show up to keep things real. She definitely looks forward to George's cooking!

I look forward to meeting both of these gentlemen.

Personally, I enjoy the systems as displayed. Since I don't hear them but once a year there is a joy in experiencing the sound all over again.

I will work on getting my wife to join in. My sister in Anaheim moved up to the SF Bay area so she has no one to hang with anymore.

badman
08-29-2013, 08:02 AM
My calendar has been updated accordingly!

mech986
11-24-2013, 12:42 AM
Count me in!

big2bird
12-16-2013, 06:40 AM
I might be able to attend. Do you have a location as of yet? (I am close BTW)

Titanium Dome
12-19-2013, 07:25 PM
I might be able to attend. Do you have a location as of yet? (I am close BTW)

The 2014 event is scheduled for the Harbor Area of LA/Long Beach. It's a nice drive up the 405 to the 710.

This may change moderately as I'm possibly selling my house, but the event will go on as scheduled regardless. I have several options should I get lucky and sell before then.

If there's a 2015 Heritage Awards, it might just be in the CA Central Coast/Bay Area (probably at Widget's castle, though I haven't asked him yet ;)).

Mr. Widget
12-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Ah yes, Chataeu Widget! :p :p

So, you are moving?! What about the three Jims?

Widget

JuniorJBL
12-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Ah yes, the Noble Widget estate!! :D
It would be fun!!:)

Doc Mark
12-31-2013, 04:40 PM
Hey, TD,

Well, darn it!! Looks like Cynthia and I will have to miss this wonderful event again! We have a job scheduled for May 31st, and will be working both before and after that special day! Shucks, Rats and Mice, and Heckuba!! :( I know everyone will have a fine time, as usual, and both Cynthia and I will miss being there again, not only for the JBL's and outstanding comestibles, but also for the stellar company!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Mark

Titanium Dome
01-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Hey, TD,

Well, darn it!! Looks like Cynthia and I will have to miss this wonderful event again! We have a job scheduled for May 31st, and will be working both before and after that special day! Shucks, Rats and Mice, and Heckuba!! :( I know everyone will have a fine time, as usual, and both Cynthia and I will miss being there again, not only for the JBL's and outstanding comestibles, but also for the stellar company!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Mark

Very sorry to hear that. We enjoyed having you both in our home.

Still, it's good to have work scheduled, especially in these still trying times. Best of luck with your endeavors!

DavidF
01-27-2014, 04:58 PM

Made reservations for two today for a stay on the waterfront in Long Beach. Since my sister in Anaheim relocated up north my wife has no relatives to visit while I party. So this year she will be coming with me to the event to help "keep it real".

Titanium Dome
01-28-2014, 11:34 PM
Made reservations for two today for a stay on the waterfront in Long Beach. Since my sister in Anaheim relocated up north my wife has no relatives to visit while I party. So this year she will be coming with me to the event to help "keep it real".

Will be good to see her again. Does she remember the Midnight meeting in the abandoned CompUSA parking lot?

DavidF
01-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Will be good to see her again. Does she remember the Midnight meeting in the abandoned CompUSA parking lot?

Ha, good memory. Reading this out of context could be interesting:hmm:. I remember that is was raining, or wet from rain. Maybe just a dream in this drought season we are having, like a mirage in the desert.

Titanium Dome
04-02-2014, 07:31 AM
Okay, suddenly we're just 60 days out from the May 31st event! :eek: Time to set a deadline.

I can accept reservations until May 15 unless I get 30 reservations before that date, then it'll be waiting list time.

There are already 17 commitments, so don't wait too long.

Come by yourself? $30

Come in a pair? $50

It's all inclusive: gourmet meal by Chef George Carlberg, beverages, awards, meet and greet with our two honorees (and a possible third surprise honoree), browse the attendee JBL displays in the JBL museum (my garage), listen to K2 S9900, DX-1/Timbers Arrays, BSS/PT250, S308, Synthesis® One Array, meet a past winner or two, and more!

JuniorJBL
04-02-2014, 09:57 AM
Itineraries for G and I incoming!! :D

Titanium Dome
04-09-2014, 09:25 PM
I'm pleased to announce that there will be three honorees for this year's event. We confirmed the third attendee just this past week, and I'm thrilled! Can't wait to tell you...

...oh hold on, yes I can wait.

Those of you who've already reserved your places, I'll be sending you the information this weekend. I'll start posting bios soon, and our final honoree will be the last bio to be posted. Thing is, we may run out of spots before I get to the last bio. (Yes, that's a little bit evil.)

All I can tell you now is it will be a night to remember. ;)

Titanium Dome
04-10-2014, 11:00 AM
When we think about the Everest, we think Greg Timbers, right? K2? Timbers, right? We also may think of Jerry Morro and Doug Button as having a role with the transducers, etc. We've honored all three for these and many other products we love, and those who've attended the Lansing Heritage Awards events in the past have had the chance to meet and interact with them up close and personal.

However, we haven't honored the person responsible for what we see when we have these beautiful pieces in our home or office, or simply when we drool about them as we look at them in photographs. The person who's responsible for the industrial design of these and many other JBL products is Dan Ashcraft. We're honored that he will spend the evening with us on May 31, 2014, and we hope you'll have lots of questions for him. I know I will, and I can't wait to give him his long-deserved award.

Here's Dan's bio:

The designer of JBL’s critically acclaimed Project Everest loudspeaker, Daniel Ashcraft consults on product design and brand innovation. His distinctive minimalist design has assisted a range of international brands that include Harman Kardon, Gibson, Seagate, Cybex, Adidas, Nike, and Mitsubishi successfully launch over 1000 new products.

A graduate of the Art Center College of Design with Great Distinction, Daniel Ashcraft founded Ashcraft Design in 1986 to address the need in corporations for branded product design identities that connect with consumers and build brands.

His work has a fresh, distinctive point of view that effectively communicates a very specific and carefully targeted visual narrative behind the brand.

Daniel Ashcraft has been recognized for his unique contribution to design by the
Industrial Design Society of America Design Excellence Awards, ID Magazine, Germany’s
Red Dot Design Zentrum, CES Innovations and iF Product Design Awards, Communication Arts and the Art Directors Club of New York.

Founder, CEO and Chief Design Officer, Daniel Ashcraft has written articles on the business value of experiential design, was featured guest speaker at the German Design Council's 'Design is a Journey 2’, Global Trends and Cross-Border Partnerships' in Frankfurt Germany and UCLA's Anderson Graduate School of Business. He has been an instructor of advanced product design at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California.

Titanium Dome
04-10-2014, 11:09 AM
You can find out more about Dan and his work at this link, right here on Lansing Heritage.

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/perspectives/ind-design.htm

JuniorJBL
04-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Oh this should be lots of fun!! Thanks TD!!
:D

Titanium Dome
04-12-2014, 09:49 AM
For those who've been paying attention, whenever there's a mention of the JBL M2 in a serious publication, review, video, or press release, it's Mark Gander who is the point man for JBL Pro. Mark's been in, around, up, and down virtually every facet of JBL over his 38 years and brings a treasure trove of experience, innovation, leadership, and advocacy wherever he goes.

There are three or four threads on the Master Reference Monitor (M2) on LH right now, full of questions, experimentation, and speculation. Someone who attends the May 31st Lansing Heritage Awards will be able to get answers and insight from someone who knows them inside and out. Needless to say, Mark's expertise goes far beyond the M2, so read his bio below.

My question for Mark and Dan: When will Ashcraft Design and the M2 have a baby? :p

Mark Gander

Mark R. Gander earned a B.S. degree in Audio Technology and media studies from Syracuse University in 1974 and worked as a sound engineer and audio systems designer in broadcasting, studio recording, and concert sound reinforcement. In 1976 he received an M.S.E.E. from The Georgia Institute of Technology, specializing in audio electronics and instrumentation, which included the multidisciplinary program in Acoustical Engineering. That year he joined James B. Lansing Sound, Inc., where he had design responsibility for various consumer and professional loudspeaker products. At JBL, he has held positions as transducer engineer, applications engineer, product manager, vice-president marketing, vice-president engineering and vice-president of strategic development. He is currently serving as Director of JBL Technology for JBL Professional.

In his time as a design engineer, Gander was system engineer for the L40, L50, L220 and L222 hi-fi systems in the late 1970s. He was the designer of the Cabaret® Series, first introduced in 1979 and one of the earliest available packaged portable PA system product lines for musicians. He was a member of the team which developed the scientific understanding for and engineered the transition of JBL cone transducers from the original Alnico magnet structure designs of Lansing to the new SFG – Symmetrical Field Geometry enhanced ferrite topologies. He was the principal engineer for the development of the E-Series musical instrument transducers from the previous K-Series and original D/F Series models. In his product management role at JBL, Gander conceived of the concept for the 2225 pro 15” transducer including its coil-excursion-balanced suspension for low distortion and high power handling.

Gander was the first Marketing Vice President for the newly formed JBL Professional in 1985, and continued to lead product development for the company, having conceptualized and named such products as the Flat-Front Bi-Radial® horns, Array Series, ScreenArray®, VerTec® and VRX Series. He was instrumental in building the relationships that created the JBL tour sound “racing team” of leading rental providers who rely on JBL loudspeakers for major international entertainment events, as well as building JBL’s 1980s resurgence in the cinema market to its position as the supplier of the majority of the motion picture theatre loudspeakers worldwide.

Mr. Gander has had numerous papers published in the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society as well as articles in the trade and popular audio press, was the editor of Volumes 3 and 4 of the AES Anthology Loudspeakers, and is one of the authors of The Loudspeaker and Headphone Handbook. He has been active in various trade organizations and has appeared in a number of forums discussing audio industry technical and business issues. In 1994 he received an AES Fellowship for significant developments in low-frequency transducer design and measurement, and in loudspeaker systems for large-scale music reinforcement, and that year he was elected to serve as a Governor of the Society. In 2007 he was elected to a term as a Governor of InfoComm International. He is also a member of the Acoustical Society of America, the IEEE, and the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers.

In 2014 Mr. Gander celebrates his 38th year with JBL.

Titanium Dome
04-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Check out Mark's Cabaret Series here on Lansing Heritage:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/cabaret.htm

Love the hair, 'cuz it's long like mine was (when I had hair).

audiomagnate
04-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Check out Mark's Cabaret Series here on Lansing Heritage:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/cabaret.htm

Love the hair, 'cuz it's long like mine was (when I had hair).

I've got a pair of those, 470's I believe.

Doc Mark
04-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Greetings, All,

I was blessed to have been able to meet Mark Gander at a NAMM Show, many years ago. He was running the JBL booth, and spent a good bit of time with me, talking up the merits of the then brand new 2235H driver! I had a one-horse little company, called "Cynmar Sound Systems", building systems for local San Diego bands, and also for Hi-Fi enthusiasts. Never made much money, but I surely did have a grand time designing, and then building speaker systems, and used a bunch of JBL, Altec, and EV components in my designs. Mark was very knowledgeable, and exceedingly sharing of his information, and his enthusiasm for JBL, and the 2235H driver, was infectious!!

I surely do wish Lady Cynthia and myself could join in again this year at TD's for the latest LHA get together!!! It would be wonderful to see all of those who attend that soiree, and to see the JBL Gentlemen, and thank Mark Gander for his kindness and sharing nature, from all those years ago!! Fun!! We will be there vicariously, I guess, but that's just not the same as being there in person!! Have a grand time, friends, and, know that we wish we were going to be there with you!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Mark

badman
04-15-2014, 01:47 PM
This happens to be the same weekend as the "THE" Show in Newport, for out-of-towners, there's another event an hour south for Fri/Sun fun. I'm working on my scheduling, going to try to do both. Will confirm w Titty dome in next few days.

JuniorJBL
04-16-2014, 06:23 AM
Mark,
The two of you will be missed. Sorry that you will not be able to attend!

Thanks again TD for this wonderful opportunity!! :D

JJ

Greetings, All,

I was blessed to have been able to meet Mark Gander at a NAMM Show, many years ago. He was running the JBL booth, and spent a good bit of time with me, talking up the merits of the then brand new 2235H driver! I had a one-horse little company, called "Cynmar Sound Systems", building systems for local San Diego bands, and also for Hi-Fi enthusiasts. Never made much money, but I surely did have a grand time designing, and then building speaker systems, and used a bunch of JBL, Altec, and EV components in my designs. Mark was very knowledgeable, and exceedingly sharing of his information, and his enthusiasm for JBL, and the 2235H driver, was infectious!!

I surely do wish Lady Cynthia and myself could join in again this year at TD's for the latest LHA get together!!! It would be wonderful to see all of those who attend that soiree, and to see the JBL Gentlemen, and thank Mark Gander for his kindness and sharing nature, from all those years ago!! Fun!! We will be there vicariously, I guess, but that's just not the same as being there in person!! Have a grand time, friends, and, know that we wish we were going to be there with you!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Mark

Doc Mark
04-21-2014, 07:03 PM
Evening, JJ,

Thank you, very much, and we'll miss seeing you, too. Saw your eBay listing for your L300's, and I wish you total success in sending them to a new home, and making your 4345's a reality. If there was any speaker that might tempt me away for the L300's, it would probably be the 4345's. That's one reason why I keep working towards cobbling up something close, just to gauge the experience. Again, have fun, and good luck on your sale. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

mech986
04-25-2014, 09:25 AM
TI, I'm sending a link to the event to a new member but also a JBL enthusiast in San Diego. Still have room?

Titanium Dome
04-25-2014, 01:19 PM
TI, I'm sending a link to the event to a new member but also a JBL enthusiast in San Diego. Still have room?

Yes, there's room for one more.

I might need to rent a couple of chairs. ;)

Does he have a pair of M2s he can bring?

stony22
04-26-2014, 11:48 AM
I just wanted to let you know TD, that Mark and I are planning on attending again this year, Hope I'm not too late.. :)

Titanium Dome
04-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Okay, suddenly we're just 60 days out from the May 31st event! :eek: Time to set a deadline.

I can accept reservations until May 15 unless I get 30 reservations before that date, then it'll be waiting list time.

There are already 17 commitments, so don't wait too long.

Come by yourself? $30

Come in a pair? $50

It's all inclusive: gourmet meal by Chef George Carlberg, beverages, awards, meet and greet with our two honorees (and a possible third surprise honoree), browse the attendee JBL displays in the JBL museum (my garage), listen to K2 S9900, DX-1/Timbers Arrays, BSS/PT250, S308, Synthesis® One Array, meet a past winner or two, and more!

As of today, I cannot guarantee any more reservations. If you'd like to be on a waiting list, then I'd be willing to start one. Tony and Mark can claim the final spots, which puts me at 31.

Titanium Dome
04-30-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm pleased to announce that Paul Bente will be our third honoree. He and his wife will be flying out to attend the event, and a pleasant time awaits all who come. Paul's bio is below.

Born in New York in 1952, Paul grew up in a Navy family and lived all over the States andoverseas before finally settling in the Washington D.C. Suburbs.

While attending the University of Maryland, Paul caught a serious case of Hi-Fi fever and beganbuilding kit amplifiers and cobbled together a few pair of speakers. Not satisfied with this, hequickly found a job at a local “Stereo Store” and worked after classes to support his habit. Hetraded his part time paychecks and commissions for the latest gear including his first pair ofJBL’s , L-100’s. Instead of pursuing a career in his chosen major, journalism, Paul along with acouple of University friends opened a Hi-Fi Store in College Park, adjacent to the University ofMaryland Campus. The enterprise was a quick success and added two more stores over the next few years. Finding the partnership a daily challenge, Paul sold his stake in the Hi-Fi chainand started work with Harman after being recruited by the Chairman, Sidney Harman who alsolived in the D.C. Area.

Serving as regional sales manager for JBL and Harman/Kardon, Paul demonstrated his ability topromote the brands, grow sales and profits and was promoted to VP of Sales after three shortyears. As Harman pushed to expand their overseas business Paul was offered a position as Salesand Marketing Director at the new European HQ in Denmark. The Bente family relocated towonderful Copenhagen and began a fantastic European adventure. Paul, alongside a verytalented European Team mapped out a winning marketing strategy that pushed Harman/JBLsales to record levels, even surpassing the U.S. business. After an enjoyable and educationalfive years in Denmark, Paul and family decided it was time to go back to the states.

Upon returning, Paul worked on Harman Consumer Group special projects until being offeredthe JBL Consumer CEO role. Paul supported by a top notch sales and product developmentteam revitalized a lackluster American based JBL business and pushed JBL to a significantposition in the global market. With the help of JBL Professional, Eric Clapton, the Who, PaulMcCartney and The Eagles, tour sponsorships were organized in support of Harman Brandawareness as a result of Paul’s efforts. After a global reorganization by a new corporateExecutive Team, Paul was asked to anchor the new Harman China HQ and build a local andregional marketing team. Successfully completing the task after two years in Shanghai, Paul leftHarman to begin a global consulting firm specializing in Consumer electronics. Paul and his dearwife Sherlie live in Lakewood Ranch, Florida on the Gulf Coast. Paul still cherishes his JBLEverest system and remains a dedicated audiophile.

JBL Consumer Programs that Paul Championed:
Everest DD66000
Project Array
K2 S9800
Performance Series
Studio L
Control Now
Studio Series
Northridge Series

I'm also happy to note that Jerry Moro and his wife will be coming back for the event, and there's a chance we'll see Doug Button again as well!

JuniorJBL
04-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Absolutely fantastic Ti!!

Thanks for your commitment to this event. It has been well worth the time and then some!! :applaud:

Mr. Widget
04-30-2014, 10:00 PM
As of today, I cannot guarantee any more reservations. If you'd like to be on a waiting list, then I'd be willing to start one. Tony and Mark can claim the final spots, which puts me at 31.Congratulations!

It sounds like it will be one hell of a fun time... you had me when you announced Dan Ashcraft. As a fellow Art Center Alumnus, I'd have loved to chat him up about his design process. Unfortunately I'll be away on vacation and will miss the party.

I hope and expect it'll be we'll documented for the many of us who can not attend.

Widget

Titanium Dome
05-11-2014, 04:58 PM
I've been busy this weekend working on the plaques and the commemorative sheets for the honorees. This is going to be one super duper event! I'll be sending out full details to all the confirmed attendees this week, as we're a mere three weeks away.

Those of you who are coming might want to think about a question or comment you'd like to pose at the event. With six JBL talents in the room, you've got to have at least one thing to say, right? :dont-know: :bouncy:

Paul Bente
Mark Gander
Dan Ashcraft
Jerry Moro
Doug Button
GregTimbers

Also, there will be more room than ever for a JBL museum, so I'll be reaching out to some of the usual suspects to bring in their JBL odds and sods. Anybody got a JBL/WHO t-shirt for Curator Shane? (See what I did there?)

Titanium Dome
05-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Registration is closed, but anyone who can get a pair of M2s over here to demo at the event will get in free. Seriously. :coolness:

Titanium Dome
05-20-2014, 06:37 AM
The final confirmations have gone out by email. If you were expecting something and haven't received it, contact me via PM after you've checked your spam filter.

We're less than two weeks away, and the excitement's building as a couple more surprise guests have been added to the event. :)

I capped the event at 36 people. This way my house will still be standing in the morning, and my neighbors may not kick me out of the HOA.

stony22
05-31-2014, 02:25 PM
would you mind if I bring the Buggy for the event... ? Know we can't play it(neighbors) but a tribute to my verson of a set of 250/XPL's in a vehicle... :D

http://youtu.be/YYvyqsNnROc

mech986
06-01-2014, 05:05 AM
Well, that was a really fun evening with a lot of great folks, great food, and great conversation. Kudos and thanks to Doug and Annie for graciously hosting. :applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:

HCSGuy
06-01-2014, 07:15 AM
A great evening! Thanks to Doug and Annie for hosting and great conversation, George for ruining my diet, and the rest of you for making me feel normal again - my wife almost had me convinced there was something wrong with me. After meeting a few of you, I realize there is still some distance left to the end of the spectrum:)

grumpy
06-01-2014, 02:55 PM
It was a fantastic event to put faces to names, meet old friends, and make new ones.
A big thanks to the organizers, honorees, sharers of gear, and sharers of stories.

Hoping others were able to capture more moments and will post likewise.

A great time as always.

-dave/grumpy

grumpy
06-01-2014, 02:58 PM

grumpy
06-01-2014, 03:00 PM

grumpy
06-01-2014, 03:01 PM

Titanium Dome
06-01-2014, 07:57 PM
As is often the case, in the run up to the third awards event, I started questioning my sanity. Thanks to Dave (grumpy), Shane (JuniorJBL), and Chef George (gcarlberg), we got everything together with an hour to spare, and George mused, "This doesn't seem right. We've never been ready early. There has to be something we missed."

Happily, we were truly ready!

Barry (1audiohack) and Mackenzie showed up around 4:30 with a Suburban full of gear, Don McRichie showed up around 5:00, and from then on things started rolling! Bart (mech986) showed up with a van full of gear and then some, and Tony (stony22) and Doug Button rounded out the exhibitors. Of course, I had a bunch of odd bits out there as well. I hope somebody got a few shots of the equipment exhibit.

Eventually we had close to 40 JBL fans (and friends) in the house! Chef George wowed them all with his now famous, official Lansing Heritage Awards tenderloin dinner, and all of our previous honorees were there, including Greg Timbers, Jerry Moro, and Doug Button. Our current honorees--Dan Ashcraft, Mark Gander, and Paul Bente--and their wives were very happy to see old friends and faces, and seemed genuinely to enjoy meeting new friends as well.

Their acceptance speeches were well-received and full of tidbits you just don't get to hear all that often. We were listening to every word as they spoke about their careers and their adventures at JBL.

Don McRitchie was a source of lots of additional information and commentary, and he was ever-present in the milling crowd. I was looking forward to a ride in his Corvette, but alas he didn't drive it down.

In a ladies-only raffle, Michelle won the $50 gift certificate to Outback Steakhouse with her riveting tale of Walter's (wsilva) acquisition of an abandoned B460 and the role she got to play in the drama. Just for knowing it was a B460 was worth bonus points, and the luck of the draw favored her.

Female participation was at an all-time high with 13, and the general consensus was that while some of us have some JBL issues that need reflecting upon, none of us are as far out as formerly thought. Well, maybe except for the couple of comments I overheard: "Don't think you're going to get this much stuff into my house," and "Annie must be very understanding, because I'll never let you put speakers in every room."

We had Manitoba, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Florida, and California in the house. Unfortunately, our Texas delegation couldn't make it.

Although I hesitated to put the L100 in the demo mix this year--hadn't done it before--they were one of the fan favorites, especially for those of us from the HS graduating classes of '69–'74.

Others can chime in as they will on the other systems and the evening, but it was a great night and truly an event to remember.

Thanks to all who attended and who had a good time while respecting our home and being such considerate guests.

Thanks to Jerry, Doug, Mark, Dan, Paul, and their wives for taking the time to come out to be with us. It was an honor to have you in our home.

Special thanks go to Greg Timbers for continuing to support the event as the Honorary Chair and for opening doors that I don't have keys to. I tease him a little about being our "spiritual leader," but he truly exemplifies the spirit of JBL and the Lansing Heritage, and it was clear to all last night that Jerry, Doug, Mark, Dan, and Paul have that spirit in them as well: commitment to excellence, a love for what they do, a sense of true dedication to their crafts and the products they make, and a simple, decent humanity with their feet squarely on the ground.

:)

badman
06-02-2014, 09:46 AM
It was truly a superb event, and a lovely venue/menu. Very cool to see our corner of the web drawing the JBL heavy hitters to come hang out with a bunch of "fanboys".

glen
06-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Thankyou Doug, Annie, George, Greg, Don, Dave, Barry, Bart, Shane, Tony and Doug B. for creating such a great event.
I have to say my favorite part was Don McRichie's "interruptions" of the presentations to voice his personal views on the importance & contributions of the honorees' to JBL and to the Lansing Heritage community. I was very pleased that he could be there. Great!:D

Greg86z28
06-02-2014, 01:43 PM
Thanks for sharing the pictures (very nicely done I might add) and the write up about the event!

Valentin
06-03-2014, 09:12 AM
Thanks for shareing

:bouncy:

jbljfan
06-03-2014, 11:39 AM
The Washington crew had a wonderful time. I want to thank our hosts Doug and Annie plus Dave, George and Shane for all their work that made the event the success that it was. It was great to see Doug, Greg and Jerry turn out to support this year honorees Dan, Mark and Paul. Our fearless leader Don was a surprise guest and contributed greatly to the presentations. We left town in really high spirits after our visit to San Pedro.

Mike

Titanium Dome
06-03-2014, 04:03 PM
The Washington crew had a wonderful time. I want to thank our hosts Doug and Annie plus Dave, George and Shane for all their work that made the event the success that it was. It was great to see Doug, Greg and Jerry turn out to support this year honorees Dan, Mark and Paul. Our fearless leader Don was a surprise guest and contributed greatly to the presentations. We left town in really high spirits after our visit to San Pedro.

Mike

Thanks Mike and Jennifer for the case of Woodward Canyon Columbia Valley Red Wine you shipped down for the event. With nine bottles consumed during the event, plus some Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Blue Moon, and Sam Adams Summer Ale vanishing as the night went on, I think everyone had a shot at "high spirits" whether they loved JBLs or not. (I'm not saying the ladies drank most of the wine, but I saw Annie, Jenn, Tammy, Liz, and Shannon laughing at us, I mean of course with us while refueling... uh, well, nod, nod, wink, wink, say no more. They can't see this, right?)

Thanks to both of you for sending such a generous and welcome gift for the event! It was truly appreciated by all.

DavidF
06-03-2014, 06:52 PM
This year’s event had a comfortable feeling that was a bit different than the previous events. I would venture to say there was less music/hardware involvement and more conversation and personal interaction. And not just audio related conversation. I noticed the JBL honorees were catching up on all things past and present. All of us, JBL insiders and Forum members alike, are becoming more comfortable in the short time shared over these evenings. My wife had a nice conversation with Jerry Morro and his wife about Chicago (both were raised there). I got a kick out of a comment from Jerry’s wife that she was so glad to see people appreciative of his work. She’s “in insurance” and nobody has ever made a fuss over what she does.

The evening was a delight in southern California fashion with the gentle breezes coming up from the water a few miles away. Doug and Annie are so very welcoming to their home. This year the home was lighter on JBL systems than in the past. No doubt a little satisfying to Annie but at the same time the focus seemed to be more on personal interaction his year, anyway. The hardware library display in the garage was a treat, as always.

Dan Ashcraft is easy conversationalist and more than willing to talk about his craft. He has not been involved in JBL products as much as in the past. His (firm’s) involvement in system design starts with a pile of parts, some design specs to adhere to, and he takes it from there. His work was not limited to JBL in the Harman family. His design studies included scale modeling up to and including clay mock ups. As you could guess most of the design is CAD these days with some modeling done. His team has to have knowledge of more than artistic design. The design project will include knowing parts sources, vendor sources, cost analysis, etc.

Mark Gander and his wife Renee were a treat to talk with. Mark is about an open personality as they come. A good hearted sense of humor and no pretensions whatsoever. I had a very pleasant chat about the pro product side of the business and the genesis of the Cabaret series. At one point he was testing the audience to sift out any Altec v. JBL partisans. No takers however, as most were strictly JBL oriented. He mentioned he was looking at Altec as well as JBL for career opportunities. All agreed he made the better choice.

I did not have a chance to speak with Paul Bente directly, unfortunately. He was busy catching up on things with Greg, Dan, Jerry, Doug and Mark. Paul related a couple of stories in his acceptance of the Lansing Heritage award. One was the Japan trip that was documented in the forum by Don McRitchie in a sort of travelogue. Paul mentioned wondering how he was convinced to travel 3 hours by train from Tokyo to visit a very small Jazz club hosted by a vintage JBL collector. This was the club with the custom horn and dual woofer system that looks like the model used in the Mormon Tabernacle.

Next he mentioned a trip to England and the Royal Albert Hall for events surrounding the Cream Reunion. A special invitation was arranged as JBL was prime sound vendor. Paul didn’t seem to need more than an opportunity to seek out such exclusive invitations as President of the division. Road Trip, indeed! Anyway he said he was sitting back stage during a warm up or practice, or something similar, when Eric Clapton came back stage full of praise for having JBL on the project. Paul, meanwhile, is the beaming Cheshire cat sitting in the corner on a road case. Also, a similar experience meeting Paul McCartney in his practice sessions in the London Millennium Dome. He was able to talk with Paul who was full of praise for JBL equipment. I think Paul stated that all he could say to Sir Paul at that point was “thank you”.

Final story from Paul. Apparently oft told within JBL. I can only paraphrase here. He had arranged for a full AV/HiFi install for Sydney Harman (Dr. Harman within the firm) at his new Washington DC home. Didn’t get too specific about hardware but mentioned 250Tis. Well all was set up in anticipation of an important gathering Dr. Harman was having in the residence. All had to be perfect as Dr. Harman intended to provide his guests an aural sample of Harman Kardon products at their finest. Paul assured Dr. Harman that all was tested and ready to go. Well the night of the event Dr. Harman was having difficulties getting any sound from the system. Finally, after turning knobs and pressing all combinations of buttons he got Paul on the line. Paul went into character affecting a Sydney Harman voice. A shout from the crowd stated that Paul had the best “Dr. Harman voice”. Paul answers with “hello”. “Paul”, the voice answered., “Sydney Harman, here. Paul, I seem to have a problem getting any sound from the system. I was assured all was ready to go”. Paul reassured Dr. Harman. Using a trick from experience of the times, Paul asked if the tape monitor was switched in. Paul relates the answer back from Harman as something to the effect “Paul, I designed the damn thing. I should know how the tape circuit works.” Paul kindly asked him to check, anyway. A few moments holding on the line when all of the sudden Paul heard over the line a bellowing “130dB” sound coming through the lines. The volume dropped off quickly. Dr. Harman came back on the line…”Paul, everything is fine. Good night, Paul.”

Another person I did not have time to talk with is Don McRitchie. Don spoke at each award presentation with the effect of speaking for all of us in thanking each of the honorees for the assistance and accessibility afforded by all involved at JBL and elsewhere. Even though the early days of the forum were a bit rough in terms of inside cooperation, it was matter of finding folks like Mark Gander who were able to open some doors. Greg got a chuckle for stating he sometimes has to refer to the site because some of the information is no longer inside the company.

Greg chimed in after one of the honorees talk his oft repeated words on how at first the idea of attending a fan fest with a bunch of who-knows-what kind of characters you could expect to find at such functions. After being there for the evening all apprehension fades away in terms of shared appreciation of how good sound leads to good music listening. Greg mentions difficulties explaining this to other potential honorees, kind of saying there is no explanation, you just have to experience it.

My thanks again to Doug, Annie, George, Dave, Shane, Bart and those I may have left out for the time taken to make the event special. Hell, even my wife Suzy enjoyed herself. She found out, like Greg said, you just have to experience it.

4313B
06-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Thank you very much for this. It is appreciated! :yes:

Doug and Jerry both expressed this morning that they had a great time. :)

1audiohack
06-04-2014, 08:34 PM
This was my first time and I didn't completely know what to expect. The only two people I had previously met face to face was Greg and Jerry. I have talked and traded with several folks who attended but that was it.

Shane who I have talked to met me at the gate and let me in to unload some goodies and he is much like I imagined I was pleased to find out, young, happy and energetic. The next person I met was Dave/Grumpy, have you ever met someone and knew at once that you liked them? That's how it was with these two, and many of the others. I didn't meet everyone sorry to say, the evening sped by and before I knew it the time had come to load up and scoot.

Paul's Sidney story was indeed very funny and well told.

All the JBL guys were easy to talk to and really seemed to enjoy coming to know how much their endevours are appreciated by us. JBL has truly increased my quality of life, and I told them so. I have the office 4435's running fairly loud as I type and they just continually delight me as do the others.

What I do is really background engineering much like what Greg, Jerry, Doug and Dan do and it is for me most gratifying when a genuine thank you comes back from the front lines and I hope it was the same for them. I think it was. It seems that way for Paul as well when he told of the McCartney and Clapton experiences.

I was delighted to spend some time discussing the merits of DSP with GT. We most certainly only scratched the surface. I asked him about his experience with the lowly DBX260 and he told me that he made sure that the gains throughout it were at unity and very plainly said when inserted into his Everest sytem that he could not hear it, period. A full A to D and D to A conversion in an otherwise all analog system and it was absolutely undetectable. He said that perhaps once you started adding filters and signal delay that there might be something but he couldn't detect anything and the gains over the passive networks were substantial. That is damn nice to know as I have those things scattered all over around here and I sometimes wonder what I don't hear that so many others claim to hear. I have fully put that worry to rest. Thank you Mr Timbers!

Jerry is always a treat for a driver geek like me to talk with. I get to thinking that I have a pretty good handle on the science and in a minute with him and I realize that my knowledge is meager indeed. Thank you Jerry for tolerating my questions and curiosity. You're a great guy!

I didn't do to well on pictures and Grumpy coverd things pretty well. I have a couple to download when I get a minute but the low light, in which I was very comfortable in by the way beat up on my lack of camera skills but it's not a photo contest so I will swallow my pride and share some.

Annie and Ti, well done. George, you absolutely rock! Please don't forget to send me the recepie for the desert. Any desert that requires a torch in the kitchen is a grand slam with me!

A very sincere thank you to all who worked to make this a very enjoyable evening. One of the real treats of the evening was to be completely surrounded by well mannered inteligent people, McKenzee and I had a great time.

Thanks again to all.

Barry.

Titanium Dome
06-05-2014, 10:28 AM
In grumpy's post of the Timbers Arrays, there's a small plate visible in the horn in the second picture. Here's a full on view.

Don McRitchie
06-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Been in travel mode for the past couple of weeks so it's taken me a bit of time to get these photos up. I'm leaving out the gear photos as nothing I have is as good as what has been previously posted in this thread.

Don McRitchie
06-10-2014, 03:50 PM

Don McRitchie
06-10-2014, 03:51 PM

Don McRitchie
06-10-2014, 04:13 PM
With all of the posts above, it should be clear by now that May 31st was an extraordinary day. Quite honestly, I did not think it would be possible to get the six current and past honorees at one event. Kudos to Doug for making that happen. Beyond the honorees' invaluable contributions to the heritage and legacy of JBL, each of the six have been instrumental in whatever level of success that this website has achieved. Having the opportunity for members of our forum to interact with some of the most influential people, not just at JBL, but in the loudspeaker industry, was an unparalleled opportunity. I heard nothing but positive comments from anyone I talked to,

Thanks has to go to Doug and Annie as the organizers and impeccable hosts of this event. Further thanks to George's for his superb cuisine. I know numerous others were involved in preparing for this event, but I unfortunately do not know all of the names. Nonetheless, their efforts were certainly appreciated by me.

Titanium Dome
06-10-2014, 07:06 PM
Don, glad you could make it. It was a delight to see you again.

Thanks for posting your pictures, and thanks for making me look good in one of them. That rarely happens.

---------------------

Now I know some of the rest of you got some pictures, so can you find at least one to share? :)

JeffW
06-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Probably easier to put a face to a name for the attendees.

BMWCCA
06-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Just curious what Greg's shirt says underneath the JBL logo. Is it something as banal as his full name, or something more interesting? (Made in Mexico?) Just kidding, but I am curious.

And the embroidered logo on George's (?) apron? Who had that done? Nice touch! :applaud:

richluvsound
06-10-2014, 11:59 PM
Wonderful Photo's Don , absolutely wonderful . You captured the grace of these giants !

JBL has made my world better place ….. they provide the soundtrack to my life !

I'm very grateful to be part of this institution .

best wishes to all , Richard

gcarlberg
06-11-2014, 10:05 AM
And the embroidered logo on George's (?) apron? Who had that done? Nice touch! :applaud:

There is a small embroidery shop across the street from the Hospital where I work. I took a download of the logo and asked the owner could put one on a apron. Went on to explain the purpose and this was not a money making endevor. I asked him if he could find a better logo on the web. He replied "my brother works for JBL in Seattle, I have the files and the correct thread color.

Shane, Dave and Doug each have an apron.

Too bad we didnt get one signed by all the honorees.

george

grumpy
06-11-2014, 10:35 AM
It was pretty cool for George to have these done up!
(although white may work for a professional like George,
mine might as well have started as the color of BBQ sauce) :D

... and thanks Don, for posting those pics!

gcarlberg
06-11-2014, 10:40 AM
... and thanks Don, for posting those pics!

+1

DavidF
06-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Just curious what Greg's shirt says underneath the JBL logo. Is it something as banal as his full name, or something more interesting? (Made in Mexico?) Just kidding, but I am curious.

I seem to recall Project K1 and one of the models of the series.

badman
08-30-2014, 07:31 PM
That sounds dirty...

http://enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0914/third_annual_lansing_heritage_awards.htm

1audiohack
08-30-2014, 09:44 PM
Nicely done!

A personal thank you.

All the best,
Barry.

Titanium Dome
08-31-2014, 09:55 AM
I appreciate the many pictures and the kind words. Also, thank you for finally fulfilling a lifelong dream of mine as a hand model. I think I look terrific in the L100 shot. :p

jbl inspired
11-28-2015, 02:02 AM
What i missed the last event damn. when is the next ?