PDA

View Full Version : Altec speakers with horns

Julian
08-06-2013, 11:26 AM
I finished making a pair of untraditional speaker cabinets with Altec Bass and Altec compressor for the tweeters and dividing network crossovers , as a result they sounded good with certain genres of music , especially jazz and believe or not with techno , well more like ambient , while some music sounds incredible good other music doesnt in fact it sounds terrible, i consulted my technician that repairs my gear , i described that the higher notes sounded very pitchy , he sugested i change the ohms from 8 to 4 , that helped a lot , but still rock sounds awful , lucky for me i enjoy jazz more than anything else , but still i would like to enjoy some of the old music i grew up with, Led Zep- Stones, Greatful dead- Santana and many others , i know for a fact that not all music sound good with every speaker , that is why right now i own several pairs of them, from Acoustat , JBL . Dali da capo , , Triangle , Pioneer , old Sansui, Snells , i still would like to get my new ones to sound good with most genres after all i have spend lots of time building them , any thoughts out there what could i do to improve them ?:dont-know:

hjames
08-06-2013, 11:31 AM
More pictures, more information -
please tell us more about these unusual designs you have presented!!

I finished making a pair of untraditional speaker cabinets with Altec Bass and Altec compressor for the tweeters and dividing network crossovers , as a result they sounded good with certain genres of music , especially jazz and believe or not with techno , well more like ambient , while some music sounds incredible good other music doesnt in fact it sounds terrible,

i consulted my technician that repairs my gear , i described that the higher notes sounded very pitchy , he sugested i change the ohms from 8 to 4 ,

that helped a lot , but still rock sounds awful , lucky for me i enjoy jazz more than anything else ,
but still i would like to enjoy some of the old music i grew up with, Led Zep- Stones, Greatful dead- Santana and many others ,

i know for a fact that not all music sound good with every speaker , that is why right now i own several pairs of them, from Acoustat , JBL . Dali da capo , , Triangle , Pioneer , old Sansui, Snells ,

i still would like to get my new ones to sound good with most genres after all i have spend lots of time building them , any thoughts out there what could i do to improve them ?:dont-know:

Julian
08-06-2013, 11:35 AM
There is a picture of them .

Julian
08-06-2013, 11:40 AM
i posted some pics on flikr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96746994@N04/

sean19
08-21-2013, 05:42 PM
I finished making a pair of untraditional speaker cabinets with Altec Bass and Altec compressor for the tweeters and dividing network crossovers , as a result they sounded good with certain genres of music , especially jazz and believe or not with techno , well more like ambient , while some music sounds incredible good other music doesnt in fact it sounds terrible, i consulted my technician that repairs my gear , i described that the higher notes sounded very pitchy , he sugested i change the ohms from 8 to 4 , that helped a lot , but still rock sounds awful , lucky for me i enjoy jazz more than anything else , but still i would like to enjoy some of the old music i grew up with, Led Zep- Stones, Greatful dead- Santana and many others , i know for a fact that not all music sound good with every speaker , that is why right now i own several pairs of them, from Acoustat , JBL . Dali da capo , , Triangle , Pioneer , old Sansui, Snells , i still would like to get my new ones to sound good with most genres after all i have spend lots of time building them , any thoughts out there what could i do to improve them ?:dont-know:

are those tractrix horns i just built my altec's with a tractrix horn will post pics soon i used 3 different cabinets before now i have a 7 cubic ft cabinet with 2 4" dia 5" deep ports by far the best i have ever heard my 416-8b's

NickH
08-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Those certainly are unique. Are you in the process of building the horns for the bass drivers? Or is the piece you have on the bottom side of the hole for looks?

What 15 are you using there, 421, 418, or what? Just curious.