PDA

View Full Version : Just found an ancient Leslie Cab for free Upgraded with Altec drivers.

BeDome
08-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Yep, for free.
It was a major multi family garage sale, associated with a local church. I saw the beat up old Leslie and asked why it was free. I was told that it does not work right and it sounds terrible.

I asked again (how he knew it sounded terrible, if it does not work, AND) if he knew why it was for free and what exactly was wrong with it. He said it was just one of a fancy really old stereo speaker, but they only have one, they don't have the record player anymore, "and besides, it doesn't work anyway." "We are offering it to someone who wants to put an aquarium in the cabinet or something" (I kid you NOT!!)

OK, So I asked if there was a way I could talk to the owner and if I could look inside it, taking off the side panels. He said no and showed me that they had cut the power cable off to prevent anyone from being hurt. "It makes a terrible noise and is not safe." (WTF!! but OK) He finally agreed to allow me to take the side panels off.

I could not convince him to take any money for it, even after I opened it up and found that the worst of the "terrible noise" was caused from the bent Semicircular triangle deflection spinning thing formed by HDF was coming loose below the bass driver and rubbing against the cabinet a bit. I can see how such would scare someone who thought this was just a part of a stereo speaker pair, but seriously, I could not convince him that I really knew what I was talking about.

I found later it had the original driver replaced with a WORKING Altec 418 and a working 808-8A. OK not all THAT old, right, by my standards, anyway.

I tried to convince him that I would gladly pay twenty dollars for it (not yet knowing whether either of the drivers actually worked or not), just to support the event, but he just said that he would not be responsible for anyone trying to use this old stereo cabinet - THAT is why it was for free.

So, once I got home, I opened it up completely and used my almost brand new Parts Express variact power supply to power it up in steps, watching closely at all those antique paper caps and most especially all that ancient iron. All the tubes were intact, the iron was sound, NONE of the fragile looking paper caps even got hot, but after an hour of nail biting, I have a classic Leslie WORKING WITH ALTEC DRIVERS. It works!!!

Yes, I will have to soften and re-glue the bass deflector, but it is not actually a terrible noise!! I might just use it as is for rock-n-roll!!!

Kidding. I want to play my guitar through an old Leslie cab loaded with classic Altec drivers!!

I guess I will have to go back next week and buy some armloads worthless stuff and set Karma back to balance.

I plan to do a total restore on this baby.

svollmer
08-02-2013, 05:24 AM
Congratulations! Very cool story and I think your Karma is at least a little safe as you offered several times to pay something for it. Good move! :applaud:

We'd love to see pictures when you restore it.

BeDome
08-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Can only hope about the karma, but I expect to have quite a lot of fun fussing about and restoring these things.

They are not in bad condition at all. I intend to replace all the caps with modern parts, set the deflector back in place and to proper balance, blow all the dust away, remount the HF driver (it was not done well) and reset the LF driver just to overcome any hidden deficiencies that may show up (judging by the HF driver I doubt that this one was mounted properly either).

Then they just need some TLC, filling and sanding mostly, then some serious satin clearcoat to make them the "pride of my collection," so to speak. Not complaining at all, but when someone is giving you a horse, you should take it and put some distance between you before checking out its teeth.

Not that I had need of another project or had dreamed of one like this any time soon, but it just happens sometimes.
:bouncy: