PDA

View Full Version : Crossover for 4343

KTG
07-29-2013, 01:35 PM
I would like to bi amp these 4343's with a rane ac22s crossover. Is the balanced / unbalanced connection going to be a problem with 2 2105's mac amps. With rca connections. The cables will wired to rane specs for proper connection according to their web site for xlr to rca. Will the possible hum be a problem , do i need a transformer. Is it worth the effort and expense. Thanks for any help

hjames
07-29-2013, 01:57 PM
I would like to bi amp these 4343's with a rane ac22s crossover. Is the balanced / unbalanced connection going to be a problem with 2 2105's mac amps. With rca connections. The cables will wired to rane specs for proper connection according to their web site for xlr to rca. Will the possible hum be a problem , do i need a transformer. Is it worth the effort and expense. Thanks for any help

General thought is that bi-amping requires gear of particularly good fidelity and low distortion to make it worth doing.
I have not personally heard the Rane, but if it does not expose transistor noise or hiss at high frequency, its certainly worth trying to see what you think of the results.

When I biamped my 4341s I used an Ashly XR1001 (couple of other folks here have also used the Ashly crossovers).
(the older Ashly units are US made, later ones are chinese)
The Ashly crossover has balanced and unbalanced connections ...
Balanced was good when I ran a pair of JBL/UREI pro amps at first, and when I switched for Adcom GFA-555s later,
the unbalanced connectors were helpful.

Based on my read of the owner's Manual here -
http://www.berners.ch/McIntosh/Downloads/MC2105_own.pdf,
it looks like they are a pair of 105w/ch amps ...

Thats not a huge ton of power but probably sufficient to run them ...

Can't tell you off the top of my head if you'll get hum - lots of elements factor into that - sources, EMF in the room, etc ...

KTG
07-30-2013, 04:49 AM
Thanks for the info

fpitas
07-30-2013, 05:21 AM
Also, be aware that many passive crossovers include EQ, and are not textbook low or high pass filters. Often they have a frequency shaping function to flatten the overall response.