PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of coincidental alignment as in KEF Uni Q

DavidF
07-21-2013, 06:02 PM
I bought a used pair of KEF Q15 intended for TV sound. The coincidentally mounted tweeter/woofer was needed to save space and simplify making up some special enclosures. KEF has been working with these for about 20 years or so and I was comfortable with buying the brand unheard. Due to the fact I liked these so much I bought another pair to make up a center system.

I listened to these systems for better than a week and continued to enjoy the sound. I have heard coincidental mounting systems but never for extended times and in my own room. So I was surprised at the coherence in the image and natural sound these small systems produced.

The bass driver is small at about 6 inches so there is the expected absence of real bass and sense of drive. The woofer cone is plastic with some amount of over-damping. When pushed the sound field started to compress and it sounded like they were struggling.

In their sweet spot of operating, however, these could be little gems. Voices are natural. No sense of stratification. Precise imaging. Highly listenable.

I suppose that the coincidental alignment has a lot to do with the natural sound. The lobing and comb effects can be mitigated allowing a smooth power response into the room. I would enjoy hearing a similar alignment in a system with more robust drivers installed. Maybe Tannoy?

SEAWOLF97
07-21-2013, 09:09 PM
I took a pair of Q10's in on trade one time and used them for a while and understand what you are saying David.

They were good, but ultimately the over abundance of fine speakers around here made them expendable. Would have liked to hear the "higher up the line" models for comparison.

I was really amazed by the coherence of the 1 way Walsh driver. It's so natural that people sit there dumbfounded when I do a demo for them. Have never seen such a fast, positive reaction to any other speakers. They stare at it and ask "where is the sound coming from" ? ... also "where is the sub" ?