PDA

View Full Version : Dream or nightmare?: "jbl sessions" tracks, can we use them?

Doctor_Electron
06-06-2013, 12:53 AM
Hi dudes!

Yesterday I was looking for an app install CD and found what may or may not be a treasure for Lansingians.

I have had this for about 5 years and had not given it much thought. But right now I am.

It is a two-cd set of "SESSIONS" given to me by the Late Great Drew Daniels. It must have been made off the LP, or knowing Drew's past work, who knows what his source materals were. In respect to him, I know it is best not to hang around, gabbing about technical this and that, a practice which he did not indulge in with his studio's clients. He just worked his magic and you got an excellent recording(s).

I would like to be able to upload the tracks to a good file server outfit such as speedy share.net and/or Lansing.org, so that we can all at least hear what the great production was all about, as well as the use of JBL monitors as essential tools in big-time pro recording.

The last time I recall reading a thread re "Sesssions", it was was a ghost and no one really knew who owned the "publishing". And, no one seemed to know exactly where the physical media resides. To have it searched for demanded a steep fee.

Anyone have some ideas on this?

Thanks, Richard

amcron
06-06-2013, 02:37 AM
Hi dudes!

Yesterday I was looking for an app install CD and found what may or may not be a treasure for Lansingians.

I have had this for about 5 years and had not given it much thought. But right now I am.

It is a two-cd set of "SESSIONS" given to me by the Late Great Drew Daniels. It must have been made off the LP, or knowing Drew's past work, who knows what his source materals were. In respect to him, I know it is best not to hang around, gabbing about technical this and that, a practice which he did not indulge in with his studio's clients. He just worked his magic and you got an excellent recording(s).

I would like to be able to upload the tracks to a good file server outfit such as speedy share.net and/or Lansing.org, so that we can all at least hear what the great production was all about, as well as the use of JBL monitors as essential tools in big-time pro recording.

The last time I recall reading a thread re "Sesssions", it was was a ghost and no one really knew who owned the "publishing". And, no one seemed to know exactly where the physical media resides. To have it searched for demanded a steep fee.

Thanks, Richard

Hi Richard I have the original double LP,havent played it for 30 years, the publishers were The Custom Fidelity Company

Doctor_Electron
06-06-2013, 10:58 AM
amcron, thanks for that. I believe the masters are probably at Capitol where ( I'm 99% sure... but could be wrong) it was recorded.

My first all new hifi was Acoustic Research ( receiver, XA turntable w/ Stanton 681EE cartridge, two AR-3a, two AR-5, & a Dynaco Quadaptor. I got that stuff when I was serving in the Western Pacific, USN. ca. 1971 -1974.

I was not familiar with JBL then but a friend had a pair of 4310WX which he got in Germany.

He was probably a bit upset when I played "Sessions" for him on that big, fat East-Coastish system. He considered his JBL/Marantz/Dual/Shure rig the Greatest and it could not be beat. But the AR's passed every "test" on sessions pretty damn well.

But over time the sound of his & other JBLS grew on me, and the two final straws that broke me of the Baaaston sound were hearing two 4343 monitors on a great system in a great sonic enviornment, then soon after that hearing the original pair of L166 in the JBL listening room (somewhere in Glendale while on a tour.)

That 4343 system was unbelievable and I've always considered them to be the best speakers I've heard.

I had an LP put out in the same time frame by Acoustic Research, also with state of the art recording which sounded fabulous on the JBL's. Then there was that Altec equivqlent, "sounds", also clean but best enjoyed at high SPL.

Still looking into getting "Sessions" back out to the public. Thanks for the info.

BTW, are the liner notes of Sessions in the Lansing.org archives for at
least reading? Seems less of a legal issue than making the audio available.

R-

SEAWOLF97
06-06-2013, 03:07 PM
I have "Sessions" on a CD too (I put it there after ripping and cleanup from the vinyl) ...it's really fun occasionally , but not a daily listener. Hoyt at the end is fantastic tho.

I was on a WESTPAC tour (Yankee Station) in 71-72 .... ah, PO City, HK, Nippon..;) You must have run across me ? blue shirt , blue pants, blue hat ?

BMWCCA
06-06-2013, 05:56 PM

If you can figure out the logistics, I'd love to score a copy. If there are no lingering rights issues, I'm more than happy to pay for the CDR and postage costs. I've heard of this compilation for decades but never heard it. :dont-know:

JeffW
06-07-2013, 07:07 AM
There are numerous copies of the vinyl on eBay, but no CDs. Since they were originally from '73, the CDs would need to be a rip or re-release.

Doctor_Electron
06-08-2013, 11:22 PM
I have "Sessions" on a CD too (I put it there after ripping and cleanup from the vinyl) ...it's really fun occasionally , but not a daily listener. Hoyt at the end is fantastic tho.

I was on a WESTPAC tour (Yankee Station) in 71-72 .... ah, PO City, HK, Nippon..;) You must have run across me ? blue shirt , blue pants, blue hat ?

Now that you mention it, I do seem to remember you. Zanzibar Club in Olongapo, fourth floor bar? Or was it Pauline's? Or...:confused:

Doctor_Electron
06-08-2013, 11:58 PM
OK, I think it would be ethically and legally cool to put "SESSIONS" on this site, which I frequent:

SPEEDY SHARE (http://www.speedyshare.com/search/)

Here is their DMCA compliance boilerplate:

Digital Millennium Copyright Act Policy

1. Introduction

SpeedyShare is an Online Service Provider and Information Location Tool under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. Section 512. This policy is intended to implement the procedures set forth in 17 U.S.C. Section 512 and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") for the reporting of alleged copyright infringement. It is the policy of SpeedyShare to respect the legitimate rights of copyright owners, their agents, and representatives. Users of any part of the SpeedyShare computing system are required to respect the legal protections provided by applicable law.

2. Our Intention

SpeedyShare is against software piracy or any kind of copyright infringement. Unfortunately, some users don't respect our terms of service. The Internet community uses SpeedyShare to send large files which can't be attached to e-mails. This is our purpose. We apologize for any kind of misuse of our service and promise to do our best to find and terminate abusive files.

3. DMCA Policy

It is our policy to respond to notices of alleged infringement that comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (the text of which can be found at the U.S. Copyright Office), and other applicable intellectual property laws. Responses may include removing or disabling access to material claimed to be the subject of infringing activity and/or terminating subscribers. We can provide IP addresses of people uploading content claimed to be the subject of infringing activity upon request. It is our policy to document all notices of alleged infringement on which we act. As with all legal notices, a copy of the notice may be sent to one or more third parties who may make it available to the public.

4. Report abuse

To be effective, the notification of your claim of copyright infringement should be written and should include the following:

Identification of the copyrighted work you claim has been infringed. (If you claim that multiple copyrighted works have been infringed you can submit one notification with a list of the allegedly infringed works)

Identification of the material that you claim to be infringing and information reasonably sufficient to permit SpeedyShare to locate the material.

A statement that you are the owner of the exclusive right you claim has been infringed, or a statement that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that has allegedly been infringed.

A statement, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate.

A statement you have a good-faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.

Information reasonably sufficient to permit SpeedyShare to contact you, including your address, telephone number, fax number and, if available, an electronic mail address.

Your signature. (The signature may be electronic)

Speedy Share Ltd. will respond to any DMCA complaints in a timely manner.

Doctor_Electron
06-09-2013, 12:21 AM
As I am as far away from being an attorney as is possible in knowledge of the Law, and/or professional sentiment regarding the profession as considered from either side, your opinions re my last posting would be appreciated.

An Up or Down "vote" would be great.

I promise not to sue anyone, or sneak a peek at anyones' phone records. Or root through your trash cans, etc. for having cast an opinion. Honest!

If this matter can be "moved foreward"* I will be asking for info on converting the CDA files to .MP4 or .FLV as can be uploaded to their servers.

*Buzz-Phrase currently in vogue.

BTW their servers' download bit rates are the highest I've experienced on the internet. I have xfinity high speed cable as ISP.

Thanks All. Rich P.

<|>

hjames
06-09-2013, 05:10 AM
I am up for this project and excited.
I would ask that the files be converted to FLAC which is a universal lossless format instead of MP4 or FLV (?) format.
WAV is comparable but the file are much larger so larger download times apply and there is no gain in using that format.
I tend to convert my files to m4a which is an Apple lossless format, but since a lot of folks don't like iTunes FLAC is better for all.
Besides, there are a lot of archived music in FLACs, (Grateful Dead concerts and such) and its easy to convert to m4a or other formats from there.

Thanks for the kind offer!

As I am as far away from being an attorney as is possible in knowledge of the Law, and/or professional sentiment regarding the profession as considered from either side, your opinions re my last posting would be appreciated.

An Up or Down "vote" would be great.

I promise not to sue anyone, or sneak a peek at anyones' phone records. Or root through your trash cans, etc. for having cast an opinion. Honest!

If this matter can be "moved foreward"* I will be asking for info on converting the CDA files to .MP4 or .FLV as can be uploaded to their servers.

*Buzz-Phrase currently in vogue.

BTW their servers' download bit rates are the highest I've experienced on the internet. I have xfinity high speed cable as ISP.

Thanks All. Rich P.

<|>

Old curmudgeon
06-09-2013, 07:05 AM
I've heard of this compilation for decades but never heard it. :dont-know:

I'm very surprised to hear this.

How did you miss out on one of these?

SEAWOLF97
06-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Now that you mention it, I do seem to remember you. Zanzibar Club in Olongapo, fourth floor bar? Or was it Pauline's? Or...:confused:

Started at the Carrier Club (just a block past Sh1tRiver) then got brave enough to go all the way down the main drag, turn right past a few monkeys ,,,upstairs. Can't remember the name for some reason :dont-know:
always joked .."If I get hurt, will probably bleed San Miguel"
(HongKong had it too, just different color)

Took the "Victory Liner" to the US Embassy in Manilla (they even sell SM on the bus) .. now THAT was an interesting trip.

As far as "Sessions" ..I mostly only recall sweeps, studio chatter & Hoyt.

Oh yeah, ever make it to 'Da Cave ? (the club that had stalactites & stalagmites ) ... :blink: ??

(wayy OT : our boat had the only Navy Aces of the war. when Zumwalt came aboard to decorate them, I shadowed him all day with my Nikons (I was a photomate) ...even had coffee with Z up in Admirals Country, and got a handshake & "well done" when he left.)

BMWCCA
06-09-2013, 08:26 AM
I'm very surprised to hear this.

How did you miss out on one of these?

I suppose it's because I've had the same JBLs (030) in my home for over 55-years, bought my second pair (L112) in 1981 and still have those, then never bought any more speakers until joining this forum seven-years ago. For some reason I now own something like 18 pair of JBLs . . . but still haven't heard the recording.

I quit vinyl when "Nightfly" came out on CD and never looked back. I have two dormant B&O tables and have no memory of where I left the crappy Thorens I owned in high-school and college went. Worst cuing control of any turntable I've ever seen. Couldn't let my friends ever touch it, hence the reason for the B&O 4000, my "party" turntable.

Three kids later, private-college tuition included, running my own business, and now working for a Fortune 500 company has taken its toll. My life no longer allows me the luxury of time to carefully preen my LPs, and stylus, and to walk softly across the room just to enjoy a maximum of 20-minutes of music before doing it all over again. I now push one button on the Adcom sequencer and the SC system comes to life, powering up the Ashly and the two Crowns and playing whatever's in the 5-disc changer or on the Squeezebox over the 4345s. I'm a music nut, but not a vinyl aficionado. "Sessions" on a CD does have me interested, just to hear the music.

Doctor_Electron
06-10-2013, 02:48 AM
Started at the Carrier Club (just a block past Sh1tRiver) then got brave enough to go all the way down the main drag, turn right past a few monkeys ,,,upstairs. Can't remember the name for some reason :dont-know:
always joked .."If I get hurt, will probably bleed San Miguel"
(HongKong had it too, just different color)

Took the "Victory Liner" to the US Embassy in Manilla (they even sell SM on the bus) .. now THAT was an interesting trip.

As far as "Sessions" ..I mostly only recall sweeps, studio chatter & Hoyt.

Oh yeah, ever make it to 'Da Cave ? (the club that had stalactites & stalagmites ) ... :blink: ??

(wayy OT : our boat had the only Navy Aces of the war. when Zumwalt came aboard to decorate them, I shadowed him all day with my Nikons (I was a photomate) ...even had coffee with Z up in Admirals Country, and got a handshake & "well done" when he left.)

Really! I was in VA-147 on he USS Constellation from two weeks prior to leaving NAS North Island, Sept 1971 thru the middle of Oct 1974 when they sent me back to NAS Lemoore. What was your outfit, Airedale, Ship's Co., ?

I found the 1971-1872 cruisebook on the web for free (very rare).

http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-71/index.html

Then, out a total of four or five pix of VA-147 squids, this was a surprise: My buddy Mark and I playing chess between flight ops in a little space on the Port 03 deck just aft of the end of the angled deck & cats. That's me in the bottom pic, on the left.

http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-71/149.htm

Yes, I remember very well that pompous %$* Cunningham strutting it around on the flight deck. Then in 1980 I saw him selling his book at an airshow in Madera, Ca. I walked up and said "I was on the Connie while all that was going on."

His very nearly non-reaction was like "Oh yeah, so?" Years later I started reading rumors about his misbehavior, on the internet, and sure enough:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/calif-rep-cunningham-finish-prison-term-19317906

Seems he spent some years flying a mop & bucket and lawnmower in the slammer, but no medals were issued.

What an stupid, shameful waste of his opportunies and former honor. I hate when that happens.

SEAWOLF97
06-10-2013, 07:30 AM
Really! I was in VA-147 on he USS Constellation from two weeks prior to leaving NAS North Island, Sept 1971 thru the middle of Oct 1974 when they sent me back to NAS Lemoore. What was your outfit, Airedale, Ship's Co., ?Then, out a total of four or five pix of VA-147 squids, this was a surprise: My buddy Mark and I playing chess between flight ops in a little space on the Port 03 deck just aft of the end of the angled deck & cats. That's me in the bottom pic, on the left. http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-71/149.htm

Whatta you know ? I was in OPS (Ships company) , spent most of my time on the flight deck in a green shirt . Didn't know about the cruise book link. Sure enough , there I am ==>> http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-71/093.htm (the young/handsome one)

Chess ? somewhere in the book is a black & white of me, playing chess. It's a side shot, but you can tell as I've still got my brass bracelet from Pleiku.
LATER: I found it http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-71/162.htm

When RC knocked down the first MIG (January '72) I was in the ready room awaiting his return (with camera) ... despite all the sea stories, he came up on it by accident, mistaking it for an A4. My salty chief hated Zoomie, so I got the assignment to cover Z's visit (March ?)

My 2 prior war zone tours were at NSA Da Nang (security/intelligence) & Helicopter Attack* (light) 3 in the Delta (combat camera) at NAS Binh Thuy (UH1B's). Did my "A" school with the Army at DLIWC** in Monterrey.

Yup, nobody liked RC , even before he became famous. He is now regarded as the "most corrupt Congressman" ever.

Finished out my reserve time with VP-69 at NAS Whidbey.

*Helicopter Attack (light) 3 .. aka HA(L) 3 was "The Seawolves" , hence my forum & email names. The most decorated helo squadron in Navy history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicopter_Attack_Squadron_(Light)_Three

**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Language_Institute

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Language_Institute)

Doctor_Electron
06-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Whatta you know ? I was in OPS (Ships company) , spent most of my time on the flight deck in a green shirt . Didn't know about the cruise book link. Sure enough , there I am ==>> http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-71/093.htm (the young/handsome one)

Chess ? somewhere in the book is a black & white of me, playing chess. It's a side shot, but you can tell as I've still got my brass bracelet from Pleiku.
LATER: I found it http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-71/162.htm

When RC knocked down the first MIG (January '72) I was in the ready room awaiting his return (with camera) ... despite all the sea stories, he came up on it by accident, mistaking it for an A4. My salty chief hated Zoomie, so I got the assignment to cover Z's visit (March ?)

My 2 prior war zone tours were at NSA Da Nang (security/intelligence) & Helicopter Attack* (light) 3 in the Delta (combat camera) at NAS Binh Thuy (UH1B's). Did my "A" school with the Army at DLIWC** in Monterrey.

Yup, nobody liked RC , even before he became famous. He is now regarded as the "most corrupt Congressman" ever.

Finished out my reserve time with VP-69 at NAS Whidbey.

*Helicopter Attack (light) 3 .. aka HA(L) 3 was "The Seawolves" , hence my forum & email names. The most decorated helo squadron in Navy history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicopter_Attack_Squadron_(Light)_Three

**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Language_Institute

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Language_Institute)

I recall the day when we were locked down for hours in GQ and all hell was breaking loose out there. Some MIG drivers (or more correctly their commanders) had the bright idea of sneaking out aT sea level and attacking CTF 77. But from the time they lifted off their runway their every move was tracked through "Red Crown" and every move was data-linked to every combat unit in the Fleet, including VF-92 and VF-96. But at the time all the Phantoms were feet-dry, hunting in-country.

A dude I later worked with at G.E. was an FT on one of our plane guards, USS Hidgbey. He said what ensued was a turkey shoot, and the taxpayers got their moneys' worth on nine Talos surface to air missiles. I would have liked to have seen that!

In a similar "What was reality" situation to what you mentioned about RC andf the A-4, there is no truth in the yarn that RC and Driscolls' F-4 was hit by a sam in the final moments of their most epic dogfight, causing them to have to eject within yards of the coast...

Well truth is they ran out of fuel. But I can see the official spin's better qualities, since it would be hard to explain to all the civilians back home that an F-4 running at full afterburner, at 10,000 ft or less alititude was burning 8,000 lb. / min. And might think the Heroes shoud have practiced better fuel management despite the desperate "knife fights in a telephone booth" that RC & D were in that day.

"THE FANTAIL IS OPEN"

BTW, were you iN PAO?

SEAWOLF97
06-10-2013, 10:14 AM
I recall the day when we were locked down for hours in GQ and all hell was breaking loose out there.

My GQ station was in the Chief's mess. They HAD their own goodies in a private refrig. We didn't mind hours at GQ :D.

BTW, were you iN PAO?

Not aboard Connie (why did they drop the "a" from "CVA" ?) , but I was at Costco looking thru a big coffee table book about the USN and found some of my old pix.

At HA(L)3 , PAO came to me. We were losing a lot of birds. The Old Man went to D.C. begging for more (they were unsafe to fly Army retrograde "B" models - oldest in-country-) ...navy rebuilt them, flew them heavier (m60, twin rocket pods, mini gun & 50 cal) AND at night (which the Army wouldn't do) in support of SEALS & PBR's . When GB's got in trouble after dark, their own support could not come out, they called us.
So, the Capt. came back empty handed .. commissioned PAO to do the "Squadron Story" for a congressional slide show. They found me. Provided a bird w/pilot and all the film I needed, and we set out for a month , touring the dets, doing scrambles etc ...until we were brought down ..the hard way.

trained as a CTI , worked as a PH for PAO , retired from Intel as a SCE.

it's just alphabet soup ?

SEAWOLF97
06-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Not sure if this is RC's old ride (or the SCO's) and up topside, working.

SEAWOLF97
06-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Dr. E , you may recognize the early AM strikes from Yankee Station ..:eek:

Doctor_Electron
06-12-2013, 10:40 PM
My GQ station was in the Chief's mess. They HAD their own goodies in a private refrig. We didn't mind hours at GQ

GOAT LOCKER. Acey-Deucy & Top-Secret imbibables.

why did they drop the "a" from "CVA"

When CVS (Antisubmarie Warfare) carriers were done away with. The Lockheed S3 antisub aircraft and its ops/support was added to the CVA's & CVN's.

Seawolf, do you recall the race riot we had during ORE/OR off San Diego? This was prior to the Jan. '73 Wespac deployment.

I think we should go PM with this, OK with you?

Doctor_Electron
07-04-2013, 04:29 AM
Today I UPS'ed the original "Sessions" CD's made by Drew Daniels to HJames for safe keeping. You might consider corresponding with her about getting a copy (for educational purposes only).

Best regards to all, "dOc"

<|>

P,S. Happy Birthday, USA, Let's hope we can get her back to something close to what her "Parents" had in mind for her to be way back in 1776.

hjames
07-04-2013, 04:52 AM
Today I UPS'ed the original "Sessions" CD's made by Drew Daniels to HJames for safe keeping.You might correspond with her about getting a copy (for educational purposes only).

I expect it'll take a few days to travel cross-country. Once I have them I'll see what I can do with them, and then I'll let everyone know further info.
I would expect the options would be to dupe the discs, or to rip them to FLAC files.

But today we're busy completely emptying our Home theater room for a new carpet installation tomorrow morning - its been a long time coming!
Afterwards I have to replace and rewire all the surrounds and such. At least I put wheels on the Salamander cabinet so once everything is unplugged
I can just roll it into the kitchen (the replacement sofa comes in early August!).

Anyway, I'll have more info next week on the Sessions tracks.
PM me if you are interested and let me know what you like - duped discs or FLAC files.
I expect you can just send me some blank discs to burn files to and maybe a buck for the return postage,
and I'll reuse your mailer ... just like the old ROIO bootlegs groups did ...

1audiohack
07-04-2013, 07:01 AM
P,S. Happy Birthday, USA, Let's hope we can get her back to something close to what her "Parents" had in mind for her to be way back in 1776.

+1

4313B
07-04-2013, 07:06 AM
I expect it'll take a few days to travel cross-country. Once I have them I'll see what I can do with them, and then I'll let everyone know further info.:bouncy:

hjames
07-14-2013, 06:00 AM
Okay, the 2 Sessions CDs arrived well packed and safe late last week.

The discs are data discs on CDs that include the music files (aiff) in one directory as well as other directories with images, pdf, word docs and such.
I initially tried using Disc Utility to simply make a whole disc image of each CD (iso or dmg file) but I got failures when I tried to do that.

After the first series of errors I looked carefully at the discs and thought they were smudgy cloudy,
so I took them to a sink and washed them thoroughly with a gentle hand soap and warm water.
But after patting them dry it appears they have some microchipping and scratches and such, which may be causing some issues.

I made another attempt by ripping the files as FLAC files to a directory, (and on another pass ripping them as ALAC files to yet another directory).
(I've got a couple spare 2TB drive in my data library). But those attempts had errors as well.

My (early 2009) macpro has the factory superdrive - which is a DVD/CD combo burner/reader.
Its good but I did have issues reading some copy-protection, DRM laden discs
(I had a problem "ripping" 2 different copies of King Crimson's USA, for instance, yet they play fine in my OPPOs or Emma's macMini) ...

So, I've did something I've been considering for a while now - I ordered a second Optical disc drive from MacSales Thursday.
Its from a different manufacturer, its pretty cheap and its a 30 minute install ... once I get it.
Hopefully the additional drive will arrive midweek and I hope to have time to install it by next weekend,
so I can do some more tests then. and see how the Sessions discs are read in this brand of Optical drive.

Basically, what this means so far is its not going to be a 5 minute job to dupe the discs ...
so I'm investigating and troubleshooting, and will write more info when I have some.

BMWCCA
07-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks for your efforts on our behalf! :applaud:

cooky1257
07-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Thanks for your efforts on our behalf! :applaud:
Yup, most appreciated Heather.:bouncy:

grumpy
07-14-2013, 05:14 PM
If you get stuck, let me know. I've had decent luck using some of the Linux tools for binary image reconstruction (mainly aggressive re-reads).

hjames
07-14-2013, 06:00 PM
If you get stuck, let me know. I've had decent luck using some of the Linux tools for binary image reconstruction (mainly aggressive re-reads).

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions ...
hoping the new drive arrives in the next few days.

Doctor_Electron
07-23-2013, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions ...
hoping the new drive arrives in the next few days.

Hello HJ, any progress or new information?

I don't know what software/hardware Drew used to make the CD's, but I did notice that all the tracks would play consecutively as in a "jukebox" mode. I've never seen that before.

Now I wish I had looked at the files with ZTREEWIN, where one can display the innards of a file, which is more often than not useful in analyzing such mysteries.

Does anyone have access to a high quality analog to digital converter? If you have a good soundcard the analog output could be digitized and a format selected (or not?)

Didn't someone make CD recorders with analog inputs? I am really drawing a blank on this, as it is a new set of gremlins.

Thanks though, HJ, for trying.

hjames
07-23-2013, 04:16 AM
Of course, life has intruded a bit - but I did get the additional superdrive (CD/DVD burner)
and do have it loaded in my computer. and I've burned a half dozen coasters trying to dupe the disc ...
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/banana.gif

I did rip the Audio files, but not consistantly. The disc is a hybrid that plays like a CD, yet has pictures and data files in other directories.
What I am trying to do is create an ISO file from the disc that can be easily burned to create exact copies,
but it seems to trigger DRM and request a password to dupe exactly.

I believe ZTreeWin is just another version of my old favorite XtreePro - but all that did was show you what is on a disc -
I can see the contents of the disc and what is in what directory, but making a playable disc-copy that acts just just like the original is a bit more complex.

Give me a few more days and I'll get back to you ...

Hello HJ, any progress or new information?

I don't know what software/hardware Drew used to make the CD's, but I did notice that all the tracks would play consecutively as in a "jukebox" mode. I've never seen that before.

Now I wish I had looked at the files with ZTREEWIN, where one can display the innards of a file, which is more often than not useful in analyzing such mysteries.

Does anyone have access to a high quality analog to digital converter? If you have a good soundcard the analog output could be digitized and a format selected (or not?)

Didn't someone make CD recorders with analog inputs? I am really drawing a blank on this, as it is a new set of gremlins.

Thanks though, HJ, for trying.

Robh3606
07-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Hello Heather

If you just want the audio take a look at Total Recorder.

Rob

hjames
07-23-2013, 09:16 AM
Hello Heather

If you just want the audio take a look at Total Recorder.

Rob

Thanks Rob!

Doctor_Electron
07-23-2013, 05:22 PM
I believe ZTreeWin is just another version of my old favorite XtreePro - but all that did was show you what is on a disc -
I can see the contents of the disc and what is in what directory, but making a playable disc-copy that acts just just like the original is a bit more complex.

Give me a few more days and I'll get back to you ...

HJ, Yes, ZTREEWIN is the ultimate development of the XTREE, et. al. file manager programs. Basically freeware written by a private non-commercial individual as a labor of love.

http://www.ztree.com/html/ztreewin.htm

XTREE was sold to Symantic, who had not a clue what it was about They let it die on the shelf, so ZTREE's programmer took it up to a high level. Its power and capabilities are awesome. Not for the unfocused or weak of heart though... If you execute a command or function it will be carried out with little of the "are you sure" crap as in the Windoze progs.

I had referred to using the "File View" function where a file is selected ans its internal hex coding line by line can be examined and even edited in hex. Additionally the "mask/unmask" function displays or hides hidden texts and some (unknown to me) sort of coding hyroglyphics.

I mentioned this a just another tool available in learning about many of a file's attributes... and lots of mysterious coding but often it is possible to glean otherwise "hidden" internal info.

Hope to hear more from you soon.

P.S. Here is a look at but a very small portion of an MP3 of 1962's #1 Hit Tune "Sukiyaki".

hjames
07-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Just upgraded to VMware Fusion 5 - I tried to create an older Snow leopard partition but it doesn't seem to want to let me - even tho I own the install CDs.
So I set up an older Win2000 partition on the macPro and tomorrow I'll see what I can do with the drives and the files in there ...
Its old, but should be safe if I don't go online with it ...

HJ, Yes, ZTREEWIN is the ultimate development of the XTREE, et. al. file manager programs. Basically freeware written by a private non-commercial individual as a labor of love.

http://www.ztree.com/html/ztreewin.htm

XTREE was sold to Symantic, who had not a clue what it was about They let it die on the shelf, so ZTREE's programmer took it up to a high level. Its power and capabilities are awesome. Not for the unfocused or weak of heart though... If you execute a command or function it will be carried out with little of the "are you sure" crap as in the Windoze progs.

I had referred to using the "File View" function where a file is selected ans its internal hex coding line by line can be examined and even edited in hex. Additionally the "mask/unmask" function displays or hides hidden texts and some (unknown to me) sort of coding hyroglyphics.

I mentioned this a just another tool available in learning about many of a file's attributes... and lots of mysterious coding but often it is possible to glean otherwise "hidden" internal info.

Hope to hear more from you soon.

P.S. Here is a look at but a very small portion of an MP3 of 1962's #1 Hit Tune "Sukiyaki".

SEAWOLF97
07-23-2013, 07:40 PM
IMHO ...don't think its worth all the effort. I've had the vinyl
copy since the 70's ....lots of sweeps , IDing instruments , faux
studio chatter ..etc . Nice version of Hoyt doing "Joy to the World" ,
but nothing that I'd listen to more than once a decade. ASSUMING that this is a rip to CD from the vinyl. (I guess it has to be, since CD came in much later) . those expecting super dynamics and sounds to demo speakers will be disappointed ...IMHO

If it came from master tapes, well the dynamics are better, but still dull content.

I recorded it to an 80 minute MD ...the LP sides were 23-24 minutes times 4 sides ...so some of it had to be cut in order to fit an 80 minute CD.

Besides, I think that it was copyrighted.

Doctor_Electron
07-23-2013, 11:58 PM
IMHO ...don't think its worth all the effort.

If it came from master tapes, well the dynamics are better, but still dull content.

I recorded it to an 80 minute MD ...the LP sides were 23-24 minutes times 4 sides ...so some of it had to be cut in order to fit an 80 minute CD.

Besides, I think that it was copyrighted.

Ahoy SeaWolf,

The smoking lamp is lit; the fantail is open. That is all.

Sometimes it's more about I guess not having something from one's past than it is about having it. The fact that Drew went out of his very busy way to made them for me adds some allure. The fact that he is sadly no longer with us brings it up another notch.

I'm sure the CD's were made from vinyl, as from what was said in an earlier thread the tape archivist dept. at Capitol wanted a fair chumk of change just to check on the matter of whether the "Sessions" #1 master tapes were in residence there. (Which, of course, they are.)

There's no doubt that EMI + EMI Capitol in L.A. have made some of the finest quality recordings ever... but I know from personal experience that money-wise they are tight enough to squeak when they walk. Which ain't a totally bad thing, as they are still in business.

And, as of last count, no one kew exactly who owned the content. It is a Ghost.

The "secret" nature of Drew's mastering alchemy presents a challenge to overcome, some new production software facts to learn about, and a bit more allure.

Now, Had Drew access to the top-generation master tapes, considering the technical & quality aspects of the original production... He could have made a truly significant audio-wise gem. Too bad. There were was than one effort made to facilitate that process, but when you find yourself beating your head against the walls of such a music industry giant as EMI Capitol USA, it doesn't take long to wear one out.

My previous experince with them, back in 1994 or so was just as tough, until Randy Bachmann stepped up and guaranteed to underwrite the issuance of two 1960s Howard Roberts albums on cd. (min. $350K USD). But that's another story.

Oh, and BTW, the sonics of those are truly incredible. The state of the art in recording had for all truly practical purposes had been reached at Capitol Hollywood by 1963, and it ios astonishing how good they were by then. But... that's another story.

I still have confidence that HJ et al. will beat the secret codes and anyone whos desires one can get a copy, FWIW.

I would really like to join forces with other Lansingers and come up witha project to get some outstanding piece of music done by & for us. For example the GRP Jazz original digital multrack masters, ca. the early 1980's, among the earliest made (Digital Multitrack was claimed untenable by some engineers, and they are sonically as good as it gets).

Anyone with a pair of clean L100s to Everests could derive some serious enjoyment from that. A modern-day "Sessions" of a sort with the sonic qualities we really do deserve to hear.

Dream, or nightmare?

Cheers to all, "dE"

hjames
07-24-2013, 02:48 AM
I won't make a comment on content, but from what I have heard so far, the fidelity is quite good.
Its the only reason I am going through all this to get it freed from these discs ...
And agreed, its probably not something I'd play a lot ...

I did find an old copy of Nero-Burning and will install that on my Win2K partition
and see if that allows making a bit-by-bit disc copy -
DRM was a bit different in 1999 ... and when the discs were made.

brhalltx
07-24-2013, 03:36 PM
Just upgraded to VMware Fusion 5 - I tried to create an older Snow leopard partition but it doesn't seem to want to let me - even tho I own the install CDs.

VMWare Fusion 5 doesn't allow that (unless you're using Snow Leopard Server, which you can buy from Apple for $19.99), but there are mods/tricks that are supposed to allow it. I tinkered with it a little a while back but couldn't get it to work.

There were versions of VMWare Fusion 4 that allowed installing Snow Leopard; a .1 version came out soon after which disabled it.

brhalltx
12-28-2013, 12:01 PM
I won't make a comment on content, but from what I have heard so far, the fidelity is quite good.

Did you have any luck with this project?

hjames
12-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Did you have any luck with this project?

Holidays have eaten my time ... tho I did get the VMware updates installed, Win7 as well as win2k -
added the second Superdrive to the tower (althought VMware seems to only allow one optical drive at a time),
but there is something funky with the way these discs were "authored" so they have data as well as CD tracks
- nothing I've tried so far lets me make bit by bit exact copies of these discs.

Anyone have any ideas?

brhalltx
12-28-2013, 07:27 PM
You should be able to copy with Toast on the Mac side, or possibly make a disk image with Disk Utility.

You can add a second CD/DVD in VMWare Fusion; what version of Fusion do you have? I've used 3 DVD drives in VMWare Fusion on a Mac Pro.

brhalltx
12-28-2013, 07:31 PM
there is something funky with the way these discs were "authored" so they have data as well as CD tracks
- nothing I've tried so far lets me make bit by bit exact copies of these discs.

I wonder if they're CD-I format... It sounds a little like a DVD format.

hjames
12-28-2013, 09:19 PM
You should be able to copy with Toast on the Mac side, or possibly make a disk image with Disk Utility.

You can add a second CD/DVD in VMWare Fusion; what version of Fusion do you have? I've used 3 DVD drives in VMWare Fusion on a Mac Pro.

How exactly do I enable/add multiple optical drives in VMware -
All I'd been able to do in the past is switch from the upper drive to the lower drive -1 at a time.
I'll look into this tomorrow if you can provide specifics for 2 optical drives in VMware 6.0.2

brhalltx
12-29-2013, 02:31 PM
I'll look into this tomorrow if you can provide specifics for 2 optical drives in VMware 6.0.2

Shut down your virtual machine.

Go to Settings for your virtual machine (Settings under the Virtual Machine menu).

Click on the "Add Device" button at the top right of the Settings window.

Click on the "CD/DVD Drive" icon, then click on the "Add..." button.

Pick the drive you want to use from the pull down menu.

Close settings, and start your virtual machine. Windows will see and configure the new drive.

Ed Zeppeli
01-14-2016, 07:45 AM
So, did we ever get this converted to flac files?

Here's a link to a blog that posted the albums in MP3 format. I haven't verified but looks legit.

http://rebuilttrannyrecords.com/2009/07/16/jbl-sessions-test-record/

Cheers,

Warren

gcarlberg
01-14-2016, 04:44 PM

Thanks,
george

Ed Zeppeli
01-14-2016, 04:51 PM
bummer.

SEAWOLF97
02-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Really! I was in VA-147 on he USS Constellation from two weeks prior to leaving NAS North Island, Sept 1971 thru the middle of Oct 1974 when they sent me back to NAS Lemoore. What was your outfit, Airedale, Ship's Co., ?

I found the 1971-1872 cruisebook on the web for free (very rare).

http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-71/index.html

Then, out a total of four or five pix of VA-147 squids, this was a surprise: My buddy Mark and I playing chess between flight ops in a little space on the Port 03 deck just aft of the end of the angled deck & cats. That's me in the bottom pic, on the left.

http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-71/149.htm

Yes, I remember very well that pompous %$* Cunningham strutting it around on the flight deck. Then in 1980 I saw him selling his book at an airshow in Madera, Ca. I walked up and said "I was on the Connie while all that was going on."

His very nearly non-reaction was like "Oh yeah, so?" Years later I started reading rumors about his misbehavior, on the internet, and sure enough:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/calif-rep-cunningham-finish-prison-term-19317906

Seems he spent some years flying a mop & bucket and lawnmower in the slammer, but no medals were issued.

What an stupid, shameful waste of his opportunies and former honor. I hate when that happens.

I was at a thrift yesterday and ran across a BIG coffee table book laying open. Even from upside down the exposed pic looked familiar. Book was : US NAVY; A Complete History.

Looked closer at it and thot .. WTF ? I shot that. Always wondered what happened to those pics. Credited as "Naval Historical Center" ...they never gave us individual credit. :banghead:

Doctor_Electron
03-15-2016, 01:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVZFMLQn13Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZVe8jo4laU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXCTWWC0eSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_daZbP7zMvo

SEAWOLF97
01-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Yes, I remember very well that pompous %$* Cunningham strutting it around on the flight deck.

Without restarting our OT reminiscences , accidentally ran across this ==>> ..

http://hyperscale.com/features/2002/f4jshowtime100da_1.htm

there are actually commercial models of "Showtime 100"

hsosdrum
01-12-2017, 02:40 PM
That doesn't appear to be commercially-available. It's an unassembled F4J model kit by Hasegawa (looks to be 1/48 scale) that David W. Aungst built, modified and painted to represent Cunningham's aircraft on the day he shot down 3 NVAF aircraft to become an ace. Looks like he did a very nice job on the model, too. Definitely one-of-a-kind.

SEAWOLF97
01-12-2017, 04:26 PM
That doesn't appear to be commercially-available. It's an unassembled F4J model kit by Hasegawa (looks to be 1/48 scale) that David W. Aungst built, modified and painted to represent Cunningham's aircraft on the day he shot down 3 NVAF aircraft to become an ace. Looks like he did a very nice job on the model, too. Definitely one-of-a-kind.

https://www.amazon.com/Academy-USN-F-4J-Showtime-Model/dp/B011IA139C

>>It's an unassembled F4J model kit by Hasegawa

Have their catalog, they do (did ?) make a specific ST100 model.

I've met RC a couple of times before he had fame, "Duke" was still a D1ck. Was at the ready room debrief just after his return* , he thought the MIG was an A-4 until the last minute.

The second "Showtime" bird (or maybe just a tribute ?) is on a pole at the SD aerospace museum.

* must have been the January event , I left the ship in April 72.

tjm001
01-12-2017, 07:39 PM

>>It's an unassembled F4J model kit by Hasegawa

I've met RC a couple of times before he had fame, "Duke" was still a D1ck. Was at the ready room debrief just after his return* , he thought the MIG was an A-4 until the last minute.

The second "Showtime" bird (or maybe just a tribute ?) is on a pole at the SD aerospace museum.

* must have been the January event , I left the ship in April 72.
Brings back scary memories back in Chicago Air Route Traffic Control Center back in the late 70s when I was a Controller before Reagan fired us all in 1981. I had an Ozark Airlines DC 9 at 17,000 looking for lower over Springfield, IL going into O'Hare. Low and behold (pun intended) Kansas City Center pointed out two F4s on a TACAN approach at 16,000 just barely getting into my area going into Springfield. Being busy I said, no I don't need to talk to them. Well, sure as hell the first thing Ozark asked for when he checked in at 17,000 was a lower altitude. So forgetting about the two F4s at 16,000 I descended him to 11,000 and calmly gave him the O'Hare altimeter. Oh Shit! To make a long story short he later called the Watch Supervisor at the Center to find out what was going on as to why an F4 "filled his windshield"! It's been about 40 years now, but I still remember it well.

SEAWOLF97
01-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Brings back scary memories back in Chicago Air Route Traffic Control Center back in the late 70s when I was a Controller ......

don't think I could do that job. What do you do now ?

F4's used to fill my viewfinder (on a 28mm lens) shooting from about 25 feet away in the catwalk. ...they are bigger than most realize. In fact they are 10 feet LONGER than a WW2 B-25 bomber.

The A3 Whales wings would pass just feet over my head on their launches. Oh, the dumb things we did when young ..:eek:

OBTW tjm001, TJM are my initials.

tjm001
01-13-2017, 11:13 AM
don't think I could do that job. What do you do now ?I retired in 2012 as a Customs and Border Protection Officer. But my 14 years as a Controller was the most enjoyable job I ever had!

So you're the guy that caused me to add the 001 suffix:)

hsosdrum
01-13-2017, 02:36 PM

I stand corrected. Probably Academy's standard F4J kit with decals for ST100. (Model companies do that all the time.) I originally thought he used a set of aftermarket decals. Too bad his client insisted that he not add any weathering — no in-service aircraft ever looks as factory-fresh as his model.

SEAWOLF97
01-13-2017, 04:14 PM
no in-service aircraft ever looks as factory-fresh as his model.

Ours were well used, except the Viggie that never flew (lived in the rear of the hanger bay as a parts donor)

The UH1's that we flew in were downright raggedly. Bullet holes ? Just put some tape over them ;) Shot up skids ? (from our own doorgunners) just respray .

In fact, when the Army discarded them as "unsafe to fly" , the USN said "oh, we'll take 'em"
and then flew em heavier and at night (the Army refused to do that) . 106% military power just to lift off , and we didn't just lift off .... had to take quite a running start just to get off the ground.
There was one Det that had about a 300 yd. strip that ended at the river. We'd back up to the end and use up all that room and then clip the boats antennas trying to get altitude.

antenna twang :eek:

fun,fun,fun at 21.

tjm001
01-13-2017, 06:30 PM
The UH1's that we flew in were downright raggedly. Bullet holes ? Just put some tape over them ;) Shot up skids ? (from our own doorgunners) just respray .

In fact, when the Army discarded them as "unsafe to fly" , the USN said "oh, we'll take 'em"
and then flew em heavier and at night (the Army refused to do that) . 106% military power just to lift off , and we didn't just lift off .... had to take quite a running start just to get off the ground.
There was one Det that had about a 300 yd. strip that ended at the river. We'd back up to the end and use up all that room and then clip the boats antennas trying to get altitude.

antenna twang :eek:

fun,fun,fun at 21.
I worked with dozens of Army UH1 pilots from 1968 until the strike in 1981. Never knew one that did not get shot down or crashed at least once. They all had metal pins in their legs, arms and such. You could not get me in a helicopter to this day and I hold a commercial pilots fixed wing license. :o:

Doctor_Electron
01-29-2017, 08:18 AM
Easily this time around, because there is/was no Enigma code

The difficulty in extracting and/or copying of files in the Drew Daniels mastered CD of SESSIONS was not caused by some secret encryption technique or copyright protection scheme. Rather, the problem was in the layout of the CD's directory structure, which apparently somehow confused all "comers" and their apps and hardware based attempts to reproduce (copy) the digital audio files contained in Drew's two-CD rendering of the original two vinyl disc LPs.

I had been enjoying the successful use of several small, open source CD file extraction (rip) and format conversion tools running in Linux Ubuntu 16.04 LTS which made short shrift of a number of issues I was encountering in the course of archiving my CD music collection for posterity, safety, and convenience.

While cleaning out my ancient cache of PM's I re-read those related to the SESSIONS experiments as well as postings to this thread (started back in 2013) and figured "Hey, why not throw these apps at the SESSIONS CD's and have a go at understanding WTF was up with them. And Voila!

This is what I found out:The file directory structure appeared to contain multiple CD volumes, which it seems left most apps utilized dazed and confused. By looking inside with the ripper, "Sound Juicer", and the audio track format converter "Sound Converter" plus a little bit of manual intervention, the problem (or "Opportunity to Excel" as spoken in the jargon of rocket launching industry workers) was corrected. Or or least and at long last was understood.

CD file directory structure: Drive label in file manager: Audio CD

Remainder of data was shown as a file below the "Audio CD" disc title, in file manager. named "Sessions"

Which contains a folder, "CD PLUS" with the files "info.cdp" and "sub_info.us"

and a folder, "Pictures", with 12 jpg files of the album covers and scanned pages of the album booklet

Then two folders, Disc1 and disc2, having .cda (.wav) files of the audio tracks on the SESSIONS 'Disk 1 and disc 2 vinyl LP records.

In the CD's root dir, the files Sessions.doc and Sessions.pdf, both versions of the Album booklet.

I also located the name of record of the owner of the 1973 copyright, in this case "James B. Lansing Sound, Inc."

So anyone who has a copy on CD needs to just write with a sharpie on each disk, in 10 or larger typeface size: Copyright, (then the little letter c in a circle), 1973, James B. Lansing Sound, Inc.

Which is your one legal backup copy. No more than one!

To be continued...

hjames
02-16-2017, 08:35 PM
Because the people are asking ...
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?39424-JBL-LoudspeaKer-Demo-Album-from-1973

afriqueart
06-16-2017, 05:01 AM
Drew was kind enough to send me a 2 cd set of sessions that he was working on years ago. We had several conversations about his project. I was told specifically not to reproduce it or share it. That was 15 or so years ago. Never knew what happened to the project but, I suspect it was shelved when he passed away. That 2 cd set is one of my valued treasures as are the memories of my conversations with drew!

Hi dudes!

Thanks, Richard

Lee in Montreal
06-16-2017, 06:08 AM
"I was told specifically not to reproduce it or share it. "

I guess that out of respect for a dead man's last wish, these files should indeed not be reproduced or shared.
Or his ghost might come back to haunt you... ;)

Whadayathink?

Doctor_Electron
06-21-2017, 02:16 PM
"I was told specifically not to reproduce it or share it. "

I guess that out of respect for a dead man's last wish, these files should indeed not be reproduced or shared.
Or his ghost might come back to haunt you... ;)

Whadayathink?

Of all the content on the CD's (2), I think the revised liner notes and perhaps two or so remastered tracks apply. I will recheck that later today.

BTW The original copyright for the LP's was filed by James B. Lansing Sound, Inc. This info had been somewhat of a mystery, BUT NOW THE TRUTH CAN BE TOLD!

-D_E-