PDA

View Full Version : Up for Grabs

Fort Knox
06-05-2013, 05:02 AM
L112's from thrift store 53 bucks
I don't need them ..but didn't want to see the kids push in the dust caps
they weigh in @ 50lbs ea ..local pickup DC area or pay to ship....

Greg86z28
06-05-2013, 06:31 AM
Generous offer!

I'm too far away though :)

svollmer
06-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Will send a PM. Thanks!

BMWCCA
06-05-2013, 06:53 PM
That's a very gracious offer on your part. If Steve doesn't take them I'd love to add them to my collection which includes L112s I've owned since new.

Some one owes you tons of thanks and good karma. :hurray:

svollmer
06-09-2013, 11:32 AM
My son, Liam, and I picked them up very early yesterday morning. Fort Knox is a great guy and was a blast to talk to about stereos and sound. The speakers are in fantastic condition! The woofers have been reformed with what appears to be Cerwin Vega foam, but I can change that later. First impressions were excellent. Liam's comment was that the midrange and treble were "sweeter" than his L100T3's.

I'll post some pics when I have a chance.

Thanks very much to Fort Knox! What a great and generous guy!

BMWCCA
06-09-2013, 11:46 AM
The woofers have been reformed with what appears to be Cerwin Vega foam, but I can change that later. First impressions were excellent. Liam's comment was that the midrange and treble were "sweeter" than his L100T3's.

Are we talking orange surrounds? Must have pics!

Yeah, I think the 044 is pretty tough to beat and I have a lot of JBL Titanium tweeters to compare.

Another pair gone to a good home! :bouncy:

hjames
06-09-2013, 12:32 PM
My son, Liam, and I picked them up very early yesterday morning. Fort Knox is a great guy and was a blast to talk to about stereos and sound. The speakers are in fantastic condition! The woofers have been reformed with what appears to be Cerwin Vega foam, but I can change that later. First impressions were excellent. Liam's comment was that the midrange and treble were "sweeter" than his L100T3's.

Thanks very much to Fort Knox! What a great and generous guy!

You are getting to be quite the JBL collector!
Sounds like a very cool addition to your systems!

svollmer
06-10-2013, 04:26 AM
Are we talking orange surrounds? Must have pics!

Yeah, I think the 044 is pretty tough to beat and I have a lot of JBL Titanium tweeters to compare.

Another pair gone to a good home! :bouncy:

Thanks Phil. Actually, the surrounds look more red to me. Unfortunately, and once again, the foam was glued to the front of the woofers. So, I'll have to figure out how to dissolve the glue without damaging the cone. I'll adhere the new ones to the back of the cone. I may have to repaint the cones, but I recall a good thread about doing that.

Maybe I'll ask Rick Cobb if he knows what will dissolve the glue. It looks like it's the normal water-based white (clear when dry) surround glue, not rubber cement.

svollmer
06-10-2013, 04:30 AM
You are getting to be quite the JBL collector!
Sounds like a very cool addition to your systems!

I know Heather; Patty reminds me that the "collection" is growing on a regular basis! :D

Fort Knox
06-14-2013, 06:10 AM

svollmer
06-15-2013, 03:52 AM
Thanks Fort Knox. I've taken way too long to get around to posting a picture. Here's a couple from my Blackberry. I wanted to borrow a good camera to take some nice pictures, but just haven't had time to get around to it.

svollmer
06-15-2013, 03:55 AM
And another on top of my son's L100T. These pictures don't do justice to how nice the veneer is. There's a couple little scratches, but nothing that can't be fixed. I'll also replace the cloth on the grilles.

We're slammed in the summer with our sons' swim and dive practices/meets. These will make a real nice project for the fall when things get a LITTLE calmer. :)

Greg86z28
06-15-2013, 05:54 AM
Honestly, I think the colored surround looks pretty cool, too bad it's not right. JBL should have used orange colored surrounds to match their logo

mech986
06-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Hmm, interesting color combo. Will look right when you get the correct foam.