PDA

View Full Version : 3114a crossover upgrade for 4315a

KTG
04-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Regarding the crossover for this speaker, is there an upgrade rebuild kit available or a suggested parts list to upgrade this crossover. They seem to sound ok. Purchased them 1 week ago. If not is there someone reliable i could send them to or should i do it my self. Is it worth the effort to do this. I picked up the 2.5 ohm replacement resistor today. Thanks for any suggestions. Ktg

macaroonie
04-17-2013, 01:00 PM
You might want to think this over. First thing you have to do is empty the casing of all the goop. Its hot melt glue. I got mine loosened up sitting on a woodburning stove running just a little hotter than you would want your hand on. It takes a good hour for it all to liquify. Then you need to clean up all the goo from the components. You will need many of the coils at least , although most of the caps could probably benefit by being replaced. There are two big electrolytic cans in there , most likely out of whack by now.

As to what to aim for by way of upgrade , if its the 4315 system you are aiming to run then it was suggested ( 4313b ) that it might be a plan to use the 2203 purely as a sub , hence turnover at 100hz approc. The 2108 is good for that in domestic use. To do theis you will need to rework the hi pass segment of the 2108 and the low pass segment of the 2203.

Be warned , this is a complicated filter , loads of bits , PLUS you have those pesky L pads outboard to the casing. I ditched those in favour of fixed resistors since I never used the pads anyway.

You MUST MUST keep a good note of the connections and component values / part numbers. As I recall some of the caps only have part numbers on them , so you need to go to the circuit dia to get the value. You need lots of little stickers to keep you right. Ask me how I know this !!!

Do you need the circuit dia ?

KTG
04-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Ok, thank you very much

macaroonie
04-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Here you go

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Network%20Schematics/3114A%20Network.pdf

Thats the latest version commonly available. Some of the component numbering is a bit hazy but its really important that you have it all noted down. Reason being to get in to the bottom of the canister you need to remove the top tag board and there are a LOT of connections to the tags coming from the L pads , down below and on the tag board itself.

For my money nowadays I would have a look at using a DSP to control it all , even the inexpensive DCX Behringer. That 2203 is a super driver but it does need some good control coming from the amp and thats a tall order with all the other stuff in the x/o when its passive.
Even a 2 way analog crossover like a JBLurei M552 to do that bit would prob be cheaper than the passive components to mod the 3114. Someone has a couple on this site now I believe.

Fantastic speaker when its running right and lots of potential beyond the original version.

Have fun.......Mac

KTG
04-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Thanks again macaroonie, ktg.