PDA

View Full Version : Should I worry about my McIntosh after sitting unused

BeDome
04-09-2013, 09:39 AM
I have a true treasure that I have not been able to use for about fourteen years.

It is a McIntosh MC2500. It has been kept inside, in a road case, but what if I just plugged it in?

I have heard of horror stories where people let an amp sit for many years and they had dried out caps exploding upon first run.

I am a bit apprehensive about just slamming 120V into it and standing back. I would very much like to use this amplifier to drive my JBLs, if I can safely revive it.

Anyone have any experience in this area??

4313B
04-09-2013, 10:03 AM
You are supposed to bring them up on a Variac... find a shop that has one.

It looks like Parts Express might have some. I didn't look closely.

BeDome
04-09-2013, 10:34 AM

I think this amp is certainly worth the trouble to bring it back into service.

Only place I have found with a Variac is 120 miles away. They build a line of tube amps.

Good call about Parts Express. They have a 10A version for $170. Better than a long round trip, I'd say.

Thanks for the advice.

Mr. Widget
04-09-2013, 12:24 PM
I brought up a vintage tube pre with a variac once... the lower voltage caused the rectifier tube to blow. :eek:

Widget

JuniorJBL
04-09-2013, 12:40 PM
The MC2500's were pretty bullet proof. About the only thing that can get hurt is caps, unless it has had some critters in it.:dont-know:

grumpy
04-09-2013, 03:02 PM
I brought up a vintage tube pre with a variac once... the lower voltage caused the rectifier tube to blow.

hindsight... 1st run up, no tubes. 2nd run up, no expensive tubes :)

berf
04-10-2013, 02:19 AM
If it were mine I'd have the factory go over it. If it's already in a case it stands a better chance of surviving shipping. In the last year I had my MC2105 and one of my Soundcraftsmen go bad. Age-related failures do happen.

Chas
04-10-2013, 06:02 AM
If you don't want to pay the money for possibly a one time use variac, you can string together some incandescent light bulbs in series with the AC line power with different wattages with switch bypasses and bring the power on in stages.

Be careful, lethal volatges are at play. If you aren't comfortable, get someone who is experienced to help you.

BeDome
04-10-2013, 06:30 AM
I am thinking that, just to play it safe, I should just spring for the Parts Express piece and do it myself. Then hope beyond reason that nothing has gone stale over the years.

Kind of a gamble, since I am not much of a tech, but if I can't find a place locally that I can trust, I would hesitate to ship it anywhere except the McIntosh factory service center.

The thing is actually quite a beast, if you are not familiar with them. This old school Big Boy weighs about 160 lbs in its road case, so shipping would be fairly expensive. I would probably just bolt it to a pallet and use Fed Ex Freight if I end up having to ship it.

Chas
04-10-2013, 09:48 AM
I am very familiar with that beast! I have since moved on to some Bryston and Levinson amps, but have mucho respect for the Mc. Good luck with getting her fired up!

Mr. Widget
04-10-2013, 12:09 PM
I'd just fire it up... the likelihood of a catastrophic failure is pretty low.

Widget

grumpy
04-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Or call mc labs and ask... Not all solid state gear is happy in a sustained brown-out state.
Using variacs and "forming caps" is largely a tube gear thing. Often there are hundreds of volts vs tens in the supply voltages.

Chas
04-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Widget is probably right, but put a table lamp with 60W incandescent light bulb in series and you are erring on the safe side.......:cooked:

ratitifb
04-11-2013, 02:45 PM
60W incandescent light bulb :hmm:

... isn't a piece of the past from your side of the magma :dont-know:

Variac works fine with slow voltage ramp up and ramp down before ...

grumpy
04-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Do note that if you go the variac route, they often will allow you to go -past- 120VAC as you increase the voltage,
so keep an eye on it (voltmeter, or at least watch the markings).

NickH
04-12-2013, 06:52 AM
I would just throw the switch. If the eletrolytics are dried up a variac isnt going to do much. If they are a dead short you'll just pop the fuse when you turn it on. I seriously doubt the caps will go boom.

Ive never had one blow up on my yet. Its always the fuse that goes.

If your really worried put a lower current fuse in it first and work your way up.

Nick

ratitifb
04-12-2013, 12:43 PM
variac just allows low dV/dt without knowing about caps history ...

Audiobeer
04-12-2013, 07:07 PM
If it was an older Mcintosh tube amp I'd sweat it. This is an old King of The Hill Solid state. Your not going to damage the irons like a tube amp. Turn it on and Turn it up! :applaud:
You might have some static when adjusting the output controls on the back. But other than that you shouldn't have any issues. If it went into storage with no know issues I'm betting it's plug and play!

Chas
04-14-2013, 05:29 AM
60W incandescent light bulb :hmm:

... isn't a piece of the past from your side of the magma :dont-know:

Mais oui, c'est mon histoire.........je suis vieux

Sundown
04-14-2013, 05:48 AM
I'd fire it up since its been in a crate. My father fired up his old Wintec receiver that was just out in the open after sitting for 8yrs and it started up w no problems and your Mc is better quality to boot so you should be cool

ratitifb
04-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Mais oui, c'est mon histoire.........je suis vieuxje le suis également ;) and i miss incandescent bulb ...

Chas
04-14-2013, 01:25 PM
je le suis également ;) and i miss incandescent bulb ...
Moi Aussie.

BeDome
04-20-2013, 02:52 AM
I have a Parts Exp variac on the way.

Should be here tomorrow

BeDome
04-20-2013, 02:58 AM
I'd fire it up since its been in a crate. My father fired up his old Wintec receiver that was just out in the open after sitting for 8yrs and it started up w no problems and your Mc is better quality to boot so you should be cool

My piece, being a real McIntosh is a bit more substantial that a whatever it was that you said.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I plan to do this the right way.

BeDome
04-20-2013, 03:03 AM
I would just throw the switch. If the eletrolytics are dried up a variac isnt going to do much. If they are a dead short you'll just pop the fuse when you turn it on. I seriously doubt the caps will go boom.

Ive never had one blow up on my yet. Its always the fuse that goes.

If your really worried put a lower current fuse in it first and work your way up.

Nick

Sound advice, I will use next time.

BeDome
04-20-2013, 03:07 AM
If it was an older Mcintosh tube amp I'd sweat it. This is an old King of The Hill Solid state. Your not going to damage the irons like a tube amp. Turn it on and Turn it up! :applaud:
You might have some static when adjusting the output controls on the back. But other than that you shouldn't have any issues. If it went into storage with no know issues I'm betting it's plug and play!

I am hoping that you are right, but I plan to play it safe, just in case.

BeDome
04-20-2013, 03:10 AM
Do note that if you go the variac route, they often will allow you to go -past- 120VAC as you increase the voltage,
so keep an eye on it (voltmeter, or at least watch the markings).

Thank you.

It has been nearly 40 yrs since I owned a variac, but I still remember how to use one.

BeDome
04-20-2013, 03:15 AM
Widget isly!probably right, but put a table lamp with 60W incandescent light bulb in series and you are erring on the safe side.......:cooked:

Seriously I want to use this baby again!!I can remember how effortlessly it drove masses of drivers.

BeDome
04-20-2013, 03:21 AM

Thanks for your encouragement.

BeDome
04-26-2013, 06:13 AM
I did change to a smaller current fuse and brought up the voltage slowly. No troubles! Still perfect performance!

Ran it lightly for two days with pink noise then switched back to the standard fuse. It was time for a full power blast for a few minutes across an old pair of old 18" horns I still have laying around doing nothing. (did not want to attract police ;))

This old horse has survived an extended hibernation with no ill effects. Not even a scratchy pot to worry about. WOW!

:applaud:

4313B
04-26-2013, 06:55 AM
Nice! :)

Mr. Widget
04-26-2013, 06:58 AM
Great news! Though I'm not surprised... it is only an amp after all and it's not like it was being stored in a flooded basement. ;)

Now put a bunch of music through that beast!

Widget

4313B
04-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Great news! Though I'm not surprised...I think it is better to not be surprised. I've been surprised before and it only serves to tick me off.

JuniorJBL
04-26-2013, 08:23 AM
I think it is better to not be surprised. I've been surprised before and it only serves to tick me off.

:rotfl:

Congrats on the amp Be!

BeDome
04-26-2013, 08:09 PM
I think it is better to not be surprised. I've been surprised before and it only serves to [QUOTE=4313B;347408]I think it is better to not be surprised. I've been surprised before and it only serves to tick me off.

Actually, my most often surfaced and hardest felt emotion was fear. Simple fear that I had destroyed a true "work of art" (Allow me to wax poetic right now, please) due to my own neglect.

I pumped it up several times today as well and had the meters hit near the top (with several speakers connected! -OMG I had "almost" forgotten a bit about why I did not sell this one when they were still selling for large bucks.

Now I wish I had kept a few more of them!!! All I ever got for the other racks I sold was money, which is gone. :banghead:

I can not put a value on what it is to have one of these treasures in my living room.

It performed as if this was the first time I ever heard one.

:D

JuniorJBL
04-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Thats great. Glad you have it back up and running in your system.:)
My MC602 is not going anywhere.:no:

BeDome
04-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Thats great. Glad you have it back up and running in your system.:)
My MC602 is not going anywhere.:no:

Now I need to bring out a few seriously decent 18/12/horn cabs, from the old days, I have sluffing as well to feel this "unit" work its magic.

I can not express my elation at having this once hard working "truck" in service again, once again.

I will post pride pics when I can get over how effortlessly this hot rod truck can make the floor can shake so easily.

:bouncy: