PDA

View Full Version : Second Annual Lansing Heritage Awards

Titanium Dome
03-29-2013, 02:31 PM
For those who enjoyed last year's Greg Timbers Soiree, I hope you are ready for round two. For those of you who missed it, I hope you can make it this year. With Don McRitchie’s blessing, we’ll once again be presenting the Lansing Heritage Award.

Greg Timbers agreed to be Honorary Chair for this year's event, and he and I have been working hard to create something special. The event will be on June 8 at my house in Greater Los Angeles.

This year, we're focusing on JBL transducers, and we couldn't decide on just one recipient, so there are two:
Jerry Moro, Senior Development Engineer, Acoustics, Harman International; former Senior Transducer Engineer, JBL Consumer
Doug Button, former Vice President, Research and Development, JBL Professional
So, if you want to meet the people who know all about the 1500AL or the 435Be or the 1400Nd or the 476Mg or the 2242H, then this is the place to be!

Also, if you want to hear the hand-built Timbers Arrays, see the technical documentation, and discuss the build with Greg Timbers, this is where you can do all three.

Oh, and there may be a surprise (or two)!

Here's the info:

THE LANSING HERITAGE APPRECIATION DINNER
Honorees: Jerry Moro and Doug Button

Hosts: Doug and Annie
Honorary Chair: Greg Timbers
Executive Chef: George Carlberg

$30 per person, proceeds going to Lansing Heritage after expenses

Saturday, June 8, 2013
5:30–9:00 JBL Driver, Electronics, Literature, and Paraphernalia Exhibit
6:00–6:30 Reception
6:30–7:15 Dinner and Program
7:15–??? Listening Sessions with Greg Timbers, Jerry Moro, and Doug Button and their JBL Creations

S/2600 Stereo Pair
Performance Series 5.1 Music System
XPL200A /DX-1 Actively Bi-amped Stereo Pair
"PT250" Stereo Pair (Modified L250 with 250Ti and Performance Series Drivers, BSS 366T Loudspeakar Management, Actively Quad-amped)
Synthesis® One Array 7.1 "Two Jims" Theatre
K2 S9900 Stereo Pair
Timbers Arrays
I’m opening up my PMs for inquiries on this event, so if you’re interested PM me. I have a limited number of seats, which I’ll fill on a first-come first-served basis. If you want to bring a guest, I’ll accept reservations for parties of two, but no larger. Last year we had some spouses attend, and all had a good time. Annie’s looking forward to seeing more ladies again this year.

Once again, Executive Chef George Carlberg will be preparing the food, so that in itself is worth the price of admission. This will be a feast for all your senses, and a memorable night of JBL camaraderie.

Hope to see you there!

JuniorJBL
04-05-2013, 07:14 AM
I have my ticket already!!:D

DavidF
04-05-2013, 08:14 AM
I added my name to the list.

mech986
04-06-2013, 05:11 AM
Hi Ti,

Count me in!

Bart

stony22
04-15-2013, 12:08 AM
Can't wait....:applaud: Count me in. Last year was great and know that this year will even be better. Let me know how I can help

boputnam
04-20-2013, 06:38 PM
The event will be on June 8...Dammit, Doug!! Already committed to gigs that weekend - up here in NorCal. :banghead:

btw, that agenda, and list of luminaries, looks incredible. Well done...

Titanium Dome
04-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Dammit, Doug!! Already committed to gigs that weekend - up here in NorCal. :banghead:

btw, that agenda, and list of luminaries, looks incredible. Well done...

Thank you, Bo. Sorry you can't make it. It will be an amazing evening, and you'd really enjoy it.

More to come. ;)

For the dawdlers, there are just a few openings left.

Mr. Widget
04-22-2013, 08:58 PM
It will be an amazing evening, and you'd really enjoy it.
I bet! I'm sorry I also can't make it... :banghead:

Have an amazing time and bring on the after party show and tell!

Widget

Titanium Dome
04-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Thanks to Jerry Moro for providing the following information. :)

Born in June 1962 in Chicago Illinois, Jerry was fascinated with electronics at an early age. Even before the age of ten he would disassemble electronic equipment to learn how it worked. As a teenager, Jerry continued exploring electronics as a hobby and in 1980 attended Purdue University’s Electrical Engineering program which just so happened to have several Acoustics courses. During his junior year, he was offered a summer internship at local audio company International Jensen in Schiller Park. This is where Jerry started to apply his newly learned acoustic knowledge, and after he graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Jensen hired him to work full time in their OEM division as Transducer and Vehicle Audio Systems Engineer. For the next four years he developed custom transducers and complete audio systems tailored for different types of vehicles and companies, most notably Chrysler, AMC Jeep, and Alfa Romeo.

In May of 1990, an opportunity arose for Jerry to take his audio passion to Harman International as a Transducer Development Engineer, so he packed up the family and moved to California. His beginning role was to create Harman’s first car audio measurement and installation bay and to develop new car audio transducers for Harman with primary focus being the JBL brand models GTX, Gto, Power Series and most notably the hi-end Gti series. After several years being focused on car audio advancements, Jerry expanded his role (now as Senior Development Engineer) to develop many transducers for home system brands: Infinity, JBL and Synthesis. In May of 1998, the newly created company REVEL was added to this list and to this day he has developed many transducers for the hi-end brand’s exclusive Performa and Ultima Series product lines.

Around 1996, Jerry teamed up with system engineer Greg Timbers to develop low and high frequency transducers for numerous JBL systems: Century Gold, SVA Series, 4425 MKII, S5800, 4428 and 4429, 4312 Series, 4318 and 4319, 4338 and 4348, Array Series, S4600, TS Series, and S3900. Most notable are the S4700 and K2 series S9800, S9900, Everest DD66000, DD65000, and DD67000 where transducer performance has been advanced to new levels. Several of his transducer designs have also been used in JBL Professional monitor and subwoofer product models including LSR6325P (25P), LSR6332, LSR4326P, LSR4328P, VT4881 and most recently the high end M2 Master Reference Monitor (using the 2216Nd woofer).

Throughout the years, Jerry always pushed the envelope for transducer design and this passion for the field led to several patents and many product awards. Recently promoted to Principal Development Engineer he is busy developing new transducer technology for future Harman products. A list of his more notable low, mid and high frequency transducers designs (with associated systems) is included below.

Titanium Dome
04-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Jerry has acquired 6 patents, with 2 more pending, and he has received many product awards. Here's a list of his more notable low, mid and high frequency transducers designs (with associated systems).

List in reverse chronological order:

JBL transducer models (and systems): 1501AL-2 (Everest DD67000), 1501AL-1, 045Mg (Everest DD65000), 100FE-12, 139Nd (S3900), 2216Nd (S4700 and JBL Pro M2), 540J, 553H, 553J, 565J, 580J, 5110G, 5120G (Studio 5 series), 1501FE (4365), 2213Nd-2, 105H-1, 054ALMg (4312E), 2213Nd-1, 105H-2, 054ALMg-1 (4319), 1500AL-1, 476Mg (K2 S9900), TS6H, TS6J, TS8J (TS Series systems), LE14H-4 (S4600), 1501AL, 476Be (Everest DD66000), Synthesis 6 (Synthesis SAM3VA and SAM3HA), Synthesis 8 (Synthesis SAM2LF), W1500H (HB5000, 1500 Array Subs), Array 8, Array 8C and Array 10, 175Nd-3 (Array Series), 1500FE (4338 and 4348), 2213Nd, 105H (4312D and 4318), 1200FE-8 (4428 and 4429), 1200FE-12 (K2 S5800), 1500AL (K2 S9800), LE14H-3 (Performance Series PS1400, Array 1400), 1200H (4425MKII), Studio10, Studio8, ME60JS, ME50JS (SVA Series systems), Century1200, Century500 (Century Gold), 726GS (Synthesis Two).

JBL Car Audio subwoofers and component systems: 660Gti, 560Gti, Power Series, GTO Series, C508Gti, C608Gti, W10Gti, W12Gti, W15Gti, GTX Series, 08Gti, 400Gti, 404Gti, 408Gti, 500Gti, 504Gti, 508Gti, 600Gti, 800Gti, 1000Gti, 1200Gti.

JBL Systems developed: HB5000 Powered Subwoofer System, TS600 system, Synthesis S1S-EX

Revel Transducer models (and systems): B110LDW, B112LDW (B110 and B112 Sub system), RP18G (Ultima Rhythm II), RU15G, RU15R (Ultima Sub 30 and Performa B15a), C32R-4, C32R-5, F32R-5, F32R-6, M22R-6 (Performa Series), RP10GS (Performa F30), RU5G (Revel Studio) Revel 15 (Ultima Gem Sub 15).

Infinity Transducer models (and systems): B380 (HPS1000 powered sub), Omega12 (Omega system).

Titanium Dome
04-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Thanks to Doug Button for providing the following information. :)

Doug Button was born in May of 1959 at the Fort Knox Kentucky Army base while his father was stationed there. After his father’s tour of duty his family returned to their native Iowa. Doug’s father was a HAM radio operator and worked at the local AM radio station so Doug enjoyed exposure to electronics at a very early age. Like Jerry Moro, Doug liked to take apart radios to see how they worked, but didn’t put them back together much to his parents chagrin. He built crystal radio sets and experimented with microphones and speakers. As a teenager Doug built stereo speakers for himself and friends based on parts he got from mail order catalogs and Radio Shack. Doug entered the Mechanical Engineering program at Iowa State University in 1977. He continued his speaker building hobby in college and began making Pro level designs with JBL and Electro-Voice transducers. This also led to his forming a mobile DJ company that helped pay for school. In 1980 Doug switched his major to Electrical Engineering hoping to work in the audio industry.

In 1982 he graduated with a BSEE and got a job with Harris Broadcast Products as a sales engineer. In 1985 he landed a job at Electro-Voice under the tutelage of Ray Newman and Cliff Henricksen as a transducer engineer. It was during this period that Doug learned how speakers really worked. All the designs he had made before as a hobbyist were done without making any measurements and little or no understanding of diffraction or driver breakup. His most notable projects were the EVX™ line of 4” coil woofers (meant to compete with JBL) and the NDym-1 one of the first compression drivers to use Neodymium.

In 1987 Doug got the call he had been waiting for from JBL. In 1988 he joined the then Harman Speaker Manufacturing group as a senior transducer engineer. Although the group supported several brands and OEM development Doug was lucky enough to only work on JBL products, mostly for the Professional division under the direction of Mark Gander. His first project was to design a line of high power woofers to replace the SFG™ drivers, 2225 and 2240. The result was the Vented Gap Cooling™ woofer series 2206, 2226 and 2241.

In 1989 an opportunity arose for Doug to collaborate with Greg Timbers on the newly formed K2 project and develop the 1400Nd. It was a great opportunity in that price was no object and Neodymium was chosen to be the magnet material. A number of interesting discoveries were made in this development including the idea for the laminated pole tip (that did not make it into the design, as Doug freely admits he had no idea how to manufacture it). Jerry Moro would refine the idea and include it in the famous 1500Al, probably the lowest distortion 15 inch driver ever made. Over the next few years Doug developed several lines of drivers for the Professional group. In 1994 (amidst the fallout of the Northridge earthquake) Doug developed the system concepts that would later become one of the first portable powered speaker systems called EON® which debuted in 1995 and had the first dual coil dual gap Neodymium LF driver.

In 1996 Doug was promoted to Director of Transducer development for JBL Professional. In this role he led the development of the new dual coil drivers (Neodymium Differential Drive®) into several lines for MI and concert use. In 1998 he began development on a super lightweight Neodymium compression driver with a 3” coil. In 2000 the 2430 (Aluminum dome) and 2435 (Beryllium dome) were put into production. Parts from these drivers would find their way in to the 435Al and 435Be. In parallel with these driver developments Doug also worked on the system level for the products these drivers were found in, the EVO installation product and the Vertec® concert line array system. EVO was one of the very first systems in Pro Audio to have DSP and amplification on board. In addition to traditional filtering the DSP had advanced algorithms to predict voice coil temperature in all three devices and make power compression and spectral compensation, along with a feedback suppressor. Vertec® continues to be one of the most popular concert tour systems on the road today.

In 1999 Doug was promoted to Vice President of R&D for JBL professional. In that role he directed the engineering of all JBL Professional products for the next 5 years. In 2004 he stepped aside as head of the engineering department taking on a new role in pure research while leading the transducer group. He also began collaborating with Don Keele on pixilated audio arrays. That work would result in the 2009 JBL Professional installed sound line arrays called CBT (Constant Beamwidth Technology™). Don, of course, published many papers on the subject one co-authored with Doug in 2005. In 2010 Doug entered semi-retirement, but in 2012 he rejoined Harman as a consultant and technical researcher for the Harman Corporate Technology Group.

Titanium Dome
04-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Doug has 19 Patents and has written 10 papers for the AES.

Projects in chronological order in each catagory

JBL Professional transducer models: 2226G/H/J, 2206H/J, 2241G/H, 2217H (Vented Gap cooling™), 1400Nd (K2), 1400 Pro (Array Series [Pro]), M121-8, M151-4/8, M209-8, M222-8, M252-8, 2022H, 2032H, 2042H (The SHG™ 3” coil drivers for sound reinforcement products), LE 1400 (ceramic magnet version of 1400Nd), LE12S-12S (K2), 136HS (Synthesis™ S2S Sub), 2020HPL, 2025H, 2035H (Cinema and portable PA drivers), 2227H, 2242H 2243H, (Super Vented Gap Cooling™). 2430H, 2431H, 2435H (3” coil compression drivers). 235G, 238G, 230G (LSR2300 series studio monitors).

JBL Car Audio subwoofers: 1800Gti, 1500Gti

JBL Professional systems developed: EON® 10P, 15P, and EON® sub, EVO 324i, CBT 50, 100, 70J, 70JE.

4313B
04-26-2013, 09:46 AM
This is excellent information Titanium Dome and should be added to the profiles on the website. Perhaps Don can do it someday. Thank you for pursuing it.

I wish my wife and I could have attended this event but she is already committed to a charity fundraiser that weekend.

Robh3606
04-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Yes it is. Wish I could come too but I have a previous comitment that weekend and can't travel. I am going to stash them in the Library Annex so they don't get lost. Keep it comming it's great info!

Rob:)

Titanium Dome
05-10-2013, 10:35 AM
With another attendee registering yesterday, there are only a couple of spots left for the June 8 event. If you're waiting until the last moment to decide, that moment is here. :)

This will be a truly memorable evening, with three key members of the JBL/Harman team participating in an evening of unprecedented access. Great food by George Carlberg; insights into transducer design, development, and deployment from Doug Button and Jerry Moro; demonstration, design talk, and Q&A on the Timbers Arrays by Greg Timbers himself; explanation and demonstration of the PT250 project by grumpy; listening to the DX-1/XPL200A bi-amp system with DX-1 build by Greg Timbers; K2 S9900 demo backed by bridged S800 amps; full 5.1 music surround experience with the Performance Series; audio/video demo of Synthesis® One Array (with working projector!); a JBL gear expo with drivers, crossovers, memorabilia, electronics, clothing,...who knows what else?; the Japanese Speaker of the Year S/2600s on display; awards ceremony and comments by the recipients; camaraderie of Lansing Heritage and AVS members and guests, along with your willing hosts, Doug and Annie; do not miss this!

Don't regret it; do it, and bring your spouse, friend, significant other! It's an evening all will enjoy.

It's happening once, one night only, Saturday, June 8, 2013.

From 2012:
1. Greg Timbers receives his Lansing Heritage Award.
2. A small portion of the JBL driver collection on display.
3. Executive Chef George Carlberg is ready for action from the hungry attendees. Yes, that's beef tenderloin, all the way from Denver.
4. JuniorJBL (Shane), Greg Timbers, wlsilva (Walter), Michelle, Howard Durbin (Electro-Voice and JBL), and Bob Walker (Electro-Voice) getting settled in for the PT250 demo by grumpy (Dave, who took the picture).

Titanium Dome
05-16-2013, 11:13 AM
If you're still contemplating attending, you need to decide this weekend. I cannot accept any more reservations after Monday, May 20.

Next week I'll be sending out the final update to the attendees and honorees, including more info on places to stay and things to do. We're all looking forward to a splendid time again. :)

For those who arrive in the area on Friday night, June 7, we can gather at the local British pub for late Friday Happy Hour (10 PM to Midnight) to do a little socializing and to welcome you to the area.

Three weeks to go! :bouncy:

NickH
05-17-2013, 04:50 AM
I think its funny how those guys from jbl like Greg Timbers are like rock stars to use on here. To them there are just doing there job. I beat there kind of taken back by the attention. Or are they just use to it by now?

4313B
05-17-2013, 05:25 AM
I think its funny how those guys from jbl like Greg Timbers are like rock stars to use on here. To them there are just doing there job. I beat there kind of taken back by the attention.Yes.
Or are they just use to it by now?No, but they will probably adapt. I've noticed a change since the first one last year. It has gone from "kind of creepy" to "acceptable". The initial reaction was "not interested". I had to do some reassuring. People can change their perspective as new data becomes available. Heck, even I was a bit leery, but I figured if anyone could be a great host it would be Dome. Evidently I was correct.

NickH
05-17-2013, 06:40 AM
Yes.No, but they will probably adapt. I've noticed a change since the first one last year. It has gone from "kind of creepy" to "acceptable". The initial reaction was "not interested". I had to do some reassuring. People can change their perspective as new data becomes available. Heck, even I was a bit leery, but I figured if anyone could be a great host it would be Dome. Evidently I was correct.

Well These guys basically carried Jim's legacy one. They did some amazing things. I know to some people this stuff is small potatos. But it is the little things that matter after all. Im sure they feel a little sad though, for the way things have changed.

It would be pretty cool to meet some of them though. Im only 34 years old. Its sad to think that the best that America has to offer is wanning. I know there al exceptions to that. But they are exceptions.

Sorry for getting a little off topic there.

Nick

4313B
05-17-2013, 07:34 AM
They did some amazing things.I think so too. And I think this is a great way to add a more personal aspect to it. It is more than simply doing a job and getting a paycheck. These guys have a group of people that sincerely appreciate their efforts on a personal level. It isn't merely a product/consumer relationship. There is an emotional investment as well.

JuniorJBL
05-17-2013, 07:37 AM
I think so too. And I think this is a great way to add a more personal aspect to it. It is more than simply doing a job and getting a paycheck. These guys have a group of people that sincerely appreciate their efforts on a personal level. It isn't merely a product/consumer relationship. There is an emotional investment as well.

+1 to that!:applaud:

Robh3606
05-17-2013, 10:08 AM
They did some amazing things.

Yes they did. I wish I could go. It sure would be nice to have the oportunity to personally thank them for the lifetime of enjoyment I have had from the fruits of their labor. May sound silly to some people but I have spent countless hours listening to music through my JBL's. I have a pair of 4208's with a subwoofer playing right now as I type this at work on lunch.

Rob:)

NickH
05-17-2013, 10:12 AM
I think so too. And I think this is a great way to add a more personal aspect to it. It is more than simply doing a job and getting a paycheck. These guys have a group of people that sincerely appreciate their efforts on a personal level. It isn't merely a product/consumer relationship. There is an emotional investment as well.

Damn straight. Couldnt have said it better myself. They deserver the praise. But you know Guys like that dont usually want it. They just do it because its what they love the work.

At least I would if it were me.

Titanium Dome
05-17-2013, 07:35 PM
It would be pretty cool to meet some of them though. Im only 34 years old.

Nick

Then you better do it fast. It's about 1,546 miles to LA from Houston, and it takes less than 22 hours, including five pit stops. Plus you gain two hours on the clock, so leave Houston at 6 PM Friday and arrive in LA around Noon on Saturday with time for a nap. Shoot, 34 years old? Piece of cake.

1audiohack
05-17-2013, 08:17 PM
And bring that other Huston old guy (who never writes, and never calls) Rudy with you, and plan on a stop in Vegas on the way home so you can go home with a pair of 2360's and he can go home with a couple of pallets of JBL for him. :)

JuniorJBL
05-17-2013, 08:37 PM
And bring that other Huston old guy (who never writes, and never calls) Rudy with you, and plan on a stop in Vegas on the way home so you can go home with a pair of 2360's and he can go home with a couple of pallets of JBL for him. :)

Well that sounds like fun!:D

NickH
05-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Road trip:D

Titanium Dome
05-18-2013, 12:00 AM

Road trip:D

Seriously, you and Rudy could trade off driving. He wanted to come last year.

Now it's becoming too easy. Rudy could probably drive the whole thing while you slept in the back seat. :drive:

NickH
05-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Seriously, you and Rudy could trade off driving. He wanted to come last year.

Now it's becoming too easy. Rudy could probably drive the whole thing while you slept in the back seat. :drive:

Not sure but I'm betting Astro his great Dane would be in the back seat.

Titanium Dome
05-24-2013, 07:07 AM
If you thought you registered for the event but did not receive the final information blast yesterday, let me know. I either missed you, or I don't know you're coming.

We're about two weeks out, and everything's coming together well. Our recipients are excited, the weather looks to be much cooler than last year, and there's more to do this year!

See you soon!

Titanium Dome
05-24-2013, 07:11 PM
No, get your mind out of the gutter. :no_wag:

Today grumpy and I took another whack at the PT250s in anticipation of the upcoming Lansing Heritage Awards. He wanted to try the time alignment feature of the BSS FDS366T Omnidrive Compact plus units, and I wanted the red Limiter lights turned off, so he trekked all the way over to donate his time and talent and equipment to the effort, while I watched and grunted from time to time.

It's a lot of fun for him to get deeper into the software and hardware, and it's a lot of fun for me to watch and learn. I think he made some nice improvements today, and I'm eager to hear what you all think after hearing them.

As an added delight for the awards event, we discussed having the computer, a couple of monitors, the London Architect software, FuzzMeasure, and a mic set up for a little more in depth look at the process and results for all the nerds in the group. Plus, it would be extra cool if some of our JBL guests could provide some insight into ways to use the data, hardware, and software to make even more strides with the PT250 project.

Sounds like fun!! :bouncy:

4313B
05-25-2013, 06:31 AM
Sounds like fun!! :bouncy:"Why yes, yes it does!"

Titanium Dome
05-28-2013, 10:40 AM
A member who was traveling some distance to attend the event has canceled, so there's an open spot for the June 8th event. Anyone who's interested can contact me via PM before the end of the day, Saturday, June 1st. :drive:

JuniorJBL
05-28-2013, 11:15 AM
"Why yes, yes it does!"

I will be listening very closely!!:D

Greg86z28
05-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Have fun!

Be sure to post a few pictures!

jblnut
05-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Wish I could make it out there for this event - sure does look like a lot of fun !

jblnut

Titanium Dome
05-31-2013, 04:53 PM
Wish I could make it out there for this event - sure does look like a lot of fun !

jblnut

Still one spot open, and you'd win the prize for coming furthest this year. Check with your buddy Bill Shatner on Priceline for a last minute flight. I know a really cheap motel.

mech986
06-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Hi guys, anyone coming from northern California or Oregon who might be able to help carry some gear (pony express style) back to your area, I have a friend who is trying to get a pretty big Nikko receiver transported from Torrance (SoCal) closer to him - he can then drive down to pickup to prevent transport damage. The receiver will be already boxed up.

Please let me know by direct e-mail at my LH name at yahoo.com. Please put LH Pony Express in your subject line and let me know before Saturday.

Thanks!

Bart

Titanium Dome
06-08-2013, 11:42 AM
And so it begins... Dave, George, Shane, Mike, and Jen are already here. Last night after a delicious George Carlberg gourmet meal of Elk, tuna, polenta, broccolini and dessert, we went off to the Whale and Ale for some chips and drinks.

Now it's the final push to get everything ready for tonight's big event, and it's 20 degrees cooler than last year! (Thank goodness.)

Titanium Dome
06-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Whoah! What an evening.!

Since as host I was split six says to Sunday again, hopefully others will fill in the blanks.

We hid the Timbers Arrays under covers to avoid incessant questions until Greg was ready to talk about them.
The pre-event included Doug Button adding his Aluminum prototype of the original EON and his very first dual voice coil driver from 1990 to the Shane-curated JBL museum in the garage. Amazing!! (I have five EON systems that we use at our nonprofit.) Bart brought a van load of Lansing gear, which filled up the show nicely, including some big horns, big drivers, and electronics. Tony added a couple of big drivers, plus the added gawk factor of the giant JBL amp in the back of his Jeep. I added my collection of drivers, crossovers, and horns as well. The Be drivers were on display inside the house where I could keep an eye on them.
The Performance Series entertained the group during the reception with some Latin Jazz Trio and Getz/Gilberto. Greg remarked he'd forgotten how good that system sounded.
I had a small window of opportunity to take Doug, Jerry, and their wives on a tour of the house, which included seeing the non-Timbers L5s and my original L100s along with the vintage Kenwood electronics that drive them. The guys had lots to say about the gear, and the wives liked the house.
George Carlberg brought down the house with another fine meal.
Doug and Jerry offered some interesting and heart-felt remarks when they received their awards.
Greg was communicative as always when we unveiled the Timbers Arrays. He shared a little of the history and development of these and the Project Array Series. He also described in detail the transducers, why they were chosen, and the process of designing them. Obviously, Jerry and Doug could add tidbits about the drivers and did. The subsequent demos left everyone impressed.
Dave (grumpy) did a fine stint downstairs demonstrating the London Architect software and the constantly tweaked PT250s. He should have some in depth comments, but later Greg told me he could hear the improvements from last year, partly based on his advice, and he thought they had become even better. (I'll be curious if Jerry or Doug said anything to Dave.)
This year my PJ didn't blow and the demo in The Two Jims Theatre went off without a hitch. The helicopter scene in Skyfall was the selection, and it impressed everyone. Doug and Jerry were particularly interested in hearing a Synthesis® install, and I noted them getting up and examining the 2242 drivers and ports during the presentation. Doug and Greg made a suggestion to possibly turn the rear sub toward the wall to present a little more delay from the rear, which is advice I will put into action right away.
We listened to the K2 S9900s in their new location, and all agreed they had found their home. I won a few points with the ladies by playing a cut from my "romance" mix CD on the K2s.
Throughout the evening, Greg, Doug, and Jerry were very free in discussing any and all topics, and their humanity and character were clear for all to see. Their lovely wives were amiable and supportive, and a pleasure to spend time with.
Earlier in the day, Shane and Dave went through the Timbers Arrays documentation, and we selected a subset of three docs, which we copied and then distributed to those who expressed an interest as Greg did an impromptu seminar on them around the kitchen table.
George's creme brule was the dessert, and everyone ate every bite in their ramekin. Delicious!
We offered up a toast to our recently-deceased friend Rolf, and I even drank a beer!
Even though folks started to depart around 10 PM, many lingered for another hour or so as we dismantled the museum, and random conversations broke out from nearly every piece as it was put away.
This morning I took Shane and George, then Mike and Jen to LAX, and now all I have to do is clean up the aftermath!
Thanks to everyone who came! Great evening!

Attendees: Please add comments and photos as you have them. Thanks!

Odd
06-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Thanks for sharing, wish I could have participated.
Possibly it could be a possibility sometime later.

There are pictures?

BMWCCA
06-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Whoah! What an evening.!

Since as host I was split six says to Sunday again, hopefully others will fill in the blanks.
Thank you for taking the time to let us all live it a little vicariously!

jbljfan
06-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Jen was sure I was going to take the banner home.59159

jbljfan
06-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Doug B.

jbljfan
06-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Jerry M. with Titanium Dome

grumpy
06-10-2013, 07:24 AM
Thanks again Doug and Annie, for hosting this award event in an interesting and low-key social setting.
I appreciated the opportunity to meet up with old friends and to make some new ones. The time blew by much too quickly.

Demoed TiDome's "PT250" system with BSS crossovers, and a stack of Hafler amps (one channel per driver).
Changes were in the areas of voicing (small adjustment in the 3-4KHz area from "flat"), driver time alignment
(which had been lost in a BSS design version save [doh], then quickly reconstructed), and room curve mods.
If you're trying to read the Fuzzmeasure plot on the left (London Architect on the right), that was a starting
point in the morning so don't worry about it too much... I just wanted to show example screens of the tools.

For me it was fun just having experienced audio professionals bother to listen at all, have a look at the setup
and measuring system and seem to enjoy the time spent. I can recall a few listener selected tunes from Fagan's
Nightfly, Sting's Dream of the Blue Turtle, 1812 Overture from Eargle's Everest disk, even a Fugee's cover of
Killing me Softly.

DavidF
06-10-2013, 06:47 PM
First and foremost I want to thank Doug and Annie for sharing their home for the cause. I had an opportunity to chat with Annie this year and, like Doug, she is so easy to engage in conversation and so gracious in her willingness to spend some time with me.

The attendance was off a bit this year but that made for easier flow among the rooms for listening sessions. It also allowed more to join in on discussions with our special guests ranging from old cars, new cars (discussing the excellent Tesla S with a new owner, no less), food, music, corporate politics and yes, speakers.

Doug has his Timbers Special (DIY Array 1200) taking pride of place in the main listening area. Greg was there to explain some of the details and provide some guidance on similar applications. Greg mentioned he was interested in having a fully finished JBL production model in his home after so many years of DIY and prototypes. This was the impetus for moving the Array 1200 into storage. The decision to move the Array 1200 to a new home was to put them to use rather than breaking them up or just sitting idle in a store room. Greg is very hesitant about releasing any form of prototype to the public since there is no company support to provide parts or service. It would not be fair to the buyer or any subsequent owner down the line.

Doug and Jerry were there with spouses and seemed to be a little unsure in the beginning of the evening but then got quite engaged with the crowd by the end of the night. Greg mentioned that there was some hesitation on their part in joining in on the festivities in their honor but convinced them otherwise. In fact, I think that all of us there were more at ease, Greg included, after the having the “first date” of last year’s gathering behind us.

It was a delightful evening under the gentle breezes from San Pedro Bay. The food was great thanks to George. Doug is natural as a host and as a Master of Ceremonies for the evening, with a natural ease of speech and an ability to focus everyone’s attention.

My thanks and appreciation to all who made the evening so enjoyable.

HCSGuy
06-10-2013, 09:11 PM
It sounds like a great time all around. If Doug does it again next year, I guarantee I'll come...

jbljfan
06-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Kudos to Ti (Doug S.) for pulling it all together, Annie (for letting the house be invaded by a bunch of speaker geeks) and Chef George for his dedication and obsession that we all ate well.

For me, it was really great to meet and interact with Doug B., Jerry M. and Greg T. Besides being nice people and spending personal time with speaker fanatics, it really comes through these guys enjoy and have a passion for what they do.

The systems.
From my first DIY system in the early eighties to the present it would be hard to argue they didn’t sound good. They all were composed of JBL components which probably explains a lot. Listening to TiDomes’s systems, the Performance (5 point and a lot subs) system, the Timbers array, the K2S9900 and Synthesis theater it was easy to understand the improvements that could be made to my system in a number of somewhat esoteric things; for lack of better technical terms: system smoothness and/or seamless transition between drivers, cohesion, impact. With the help of listening to Ti’s great factory systems and Greg explaining his array filter design and obtaining a copy of his schematic, I know my system is going to get better.

Regrets.
I wish I had listened to the PT250. I thought dinner was being served and bailed. On the other hand I think that’s when I got to hear the K2’s. Next time for sure Dave. I should have talked more about HiFi with George and less about food. I do like to cook and eat good food. And, I can take better pictures. Really.

PS to Annie. Jen had a great time too.

Mike

Titanium Dome
06-10-2013, 11:06 PM
It was great having you two come in on Friday and enjoy a preview of George's cooking along with a trip to the Whale and Ale. :cheers:

You'll definitely have to come back next year to prove you can take a decent picture. :p

After seeing and hearing all that gear, plus the stuff on display in the JBL Museum (my garage), I'm certain Jen doesn't think you're as crazy as some of the rest of us. Glad you could make it.

Titanium Dome
06-10-2013, 11:22 PM
You definitely won the "drove the furthest" honors, though some other folks cheated and came further in less time by plane. It's always great to have you in the house and talk to you. Maybe next time your wife (or HSCGuy) can join you.

Speaking of next time and attendance, I'll give this a go next year around the same time with the hope that attendance improves. It's a lot of work, not just for me, but for George, Shane, and Dave. Annie's a good sport about it, though she delicately asked me if it was worth the effort, especially with some no-shows. It'd be great to have wider support from the Lansing Heritage community to help offset the expense and to give the honorees a larger pool of recognition.

I think the bigger issue is that we're lucky to get these brilliant people while they're still active and producing great things in the industry. We should seize the opportunity before it's gone. We've already got a short list of names for next year, and I'll be consulting with Greg on next year's recipients. It's an impressive list. :)

If I can get the honorees, George, Shane, and Dave locked onto the same date, and get Greg, Doug, and Jerry to come back, then it'll be a go for next year, and if it turns out to be the last, at least it will go out with a bang! :D

Titanium Dome
06-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Thanks as always for helping demo the PT250s. All who heard them had compliments, and Greg in particular was effusive in his praise for the improvements.

Maybe next year we should start earlier with some "workshops," perhaps featuring a more in depth look at the whole PT250 thing, another on the Two Jims DIY home theater consultation and construction, perhaps another on multiple subs, another on transducer testing, wow! the sky's the limit. Yeah, I know: it's already enough work

Anyway, thanks for coming on Friday, spending the night, and helping out in the run up to Saturday's event. :yes:

DavidF
06-11-2013, 07:21 AM
"You definitely won the "drove the furthest" honors, though some other folks cheated and came further in less time by plane. It's always great to have you in the house and talk to you. Maybe next time your wife (or HSCGuy) can join you..."

For the record, I didn't drive. I also cheated and took a $69 flight (plus airport fees, fuel surcharges, convenience fees, taxes and who knows what else).

Doc Mark
06-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Greetings, All,

We surely missed being able to attend this year's JBL Fest, and thank Doug and Annie for once again hosting it in their lovely home!! We had a regular gig in Milwaukee during the time of the JBL event, and so had to miss it this year. Here's hoping that next year, we can once again enjoy this outstanding, and very memorable soiree!! Thanks to one and all who helped to make it the success that it has become, and we hope to see you all again next year, if not before! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc and Sweet Bride

P.S. Toasting our dear departed JBL friend, Rolf, was a VERY nice thing to do, and we know he would have been pleased to know that this happened! Well done!!

Titanium Dome
06-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Hey Mark, we missed you and Cynthia. The weather was perfect and the Timbers Arrays were spectacular! PLus, the new projector didn't let me down, so everyone got the full Two Jims Theatre experience. It was kind of cool to have Doug Button say he wished he could have a room like that.

George and Shane came a day earlier this year, and it was better all the way around. We had more time to prepare and enjoy each other's company, and George's special dinner on Friday night was out of this world. Of course, Saturday's event dinner was a huge hit, too, with our guests of honor thoroughly enjoying George's signature beef tenderloin and Denver-fresh rolls.

Having Doug, Jerry, and Greg in the house all at once was a delight. Annie hung out with their wives and jblfan's Jen, and I got a few minutes to spend with each in between all the hosting duties. My reward was learning some bits of info that only a designer could know, like the origins of the 136HS drivers in the S2S subs.

Anyway, we hope you can can make it next year!:bouncy:

Altec Best
07-05-2013, 05:14 AM
Would have Loved to attend something like that ! IMO that's what it's all about. Good food,good drink,good conversation,and good music hanging out with friends and meeting new friends.. :applaud:

Congrats on the Success TD !

JuniorJBL
07-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Here are the scans of the data that was available to us from the party.

Titanium Dome
07-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks, Shane.

It'd be great if those who had extended conversations with Greg about the Timbers Arrays would chime in with any tidbits of interest.

jbljfan
07-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Another bad photo :p

pos
07-14-2013, 12:55 AM
So, how does it sounds compared to the S9900 ? :)

grumpy
07-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Sound over -everything- else? I preferred the Arrays... They excelled in areas that tick my personal check boxes, also a trait of the 9900 model, which I enjoy very much. Clearer spatial cues were a big plus for me in regard to the Arrays. Both have a spectral clarity that is very engaging and non-fatiguing.

Titanium Dome
07-15-2013, 10:52 AM
I might have mentioned this before, but I couldn't bear to listen to the K2 S9900 in the same room, so they got moved up to the master bedroom where they do an excellent job in a smaller space.

Here's a comment I sent to the creator, followed by his response.

Via email I've had a couple of the guys come over to hear what I'm simply calling the Timbers Arrays compared to the K2s, and the verdicts are universal.

The shootout, with K2s in the prime position.

Even close together, the Timbers Arrays have superior imaging, a wider soundstage, more of a sense of depth, and much cleaner top and bottom. They definitely play nicer with the 136HS in the S2S subs than the K2s do.

I'm glad you're enjoying them. You are the only person to compare them to anything else directly. They really should take a K2 apart.

The K2 is wonderful, so don't consider it a slam. It's the smart way to package and sell a high end product. The sound and the vision of it sold me; else, I wouldn't have a pair. :)

I cannot imagine any typical audiophile or JBL fanatic paying even one-half the K2 price for something as aesthetically challenging as the Timbers Arrays, despite the highest quality parts and uncompromising design. However, the Timbers Arrays are all about the sound, and it's audible. Thank goodness, Annie didn't fuss too much about the looks of them on the main floor as long as the K2s stayed in the house and actually went to a room where she can see and hear them every day.

Having written all that, I think the Timbers Arrays look pretty cool and am comfortable with them in every way. The K2s remain a beautiful speaker to look at and a joy to listen to in their own environment.

Those who attended the Second Annual Lansing Heritage Event got to hear both, but not in the same room. Maybe next year we'll put them side by side for an unscientific, sighted, biased, preference-based comparison.

pos
07-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Great to hear some news about these speakers TDome!
That raises a few questions:
Why are you not using the 1500AL subs that came with the speakers?
Have you compared them to your synthesis SAM system side by side? (might be difficult I reckon, due to their integration and specific EQ for your media room...)
I am surprised that the horns are not the one seen in the original Greg Timbers and DIY (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?9951-Greg-Timbers-amp-DIY) thread. The ones you have looks like H4338.
Are you using the 045Be?

4313B
07-16-2013, 08:45 AM
They really should take a K2 apart.And that's exactly why the DIY folks prefer to simply buy the components. :yes:

Cooky's version of the 1200 Array concept is an excellent example of what can be done with these components.

pos
11-23-2014, 10:52 AM
I am surprised that the horns are not the one seen in the original Greg Timbers and DIY (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?9951-Greg-Timbers-amp-DIY) thread. The ones you have looks like H4338.
Bump!

It looks like the latest crossover G.T. was using (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?34253-Second-Annual-Lansing-Heritage-Awards&p=350106&viewfull=1#post350106) involved a 650Hz acoustical crossover (LR 36dB/oct), whereas in the original 2006 thread the crossover point was 750Hz.
The H4338 is larger and probably implies a lower natural cutoff compared to the array1400 horn (more similar to a H9800 in its dimensions). Is this the reason for the switch?

Titanium Dome
12-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Here's a recent article from Harman showcasing one of our award winners from the second Lansing Heritage Awards. Kudos to Doug for his achievements, though I think a Maserati GranTurismo Convertible would impress me more. ;)

http://pro.harman.com/insights/harman-pro/harman-innovator-spotlight-douglas-button-jbl-loudspeakers/

martin_wu99
02-17-2019, 09:41 PM
Here's a recent article from Harman showcasing one of our award winners from the second Lansing Heritage Awards. Kudos to Doug for his achievements, though I think a Maserati GranTurismo Convertible would impress me more. ;)

http://pro.harman.com/insights/harman-pro/harman-innovator-spotlight-douglas-button-jbl-loudspeakers/
It's wonderful!
Hi Doug, how are you recently?hope every thing is fine.
Are you going to hold Lansing Heritage forum annual party this year?i wish i could come if i have time and money.

martin_wu99
02-17-2019, 10:07 PM

It's wonderful!
Hi Doug, how are you recently?hope every thing is O.K
Are you going to hold Lansing Heritage Forum Annual Party this year?i wish i could come if i have time and money:D