PDA

View Full Version : Thinking out loud (aka brainfart). Rubber surround for 2245

Lee in Montreal
03-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Not for the purists. Has anyone experimented with a rubber surround adapted to a 2245? That would be the last re-suspension the woofer would see instead of once every decade. ;)

Ruediger
03-25-2013, 02:25 AM
... have done that in the past for various speakers.

Ruediger

Lee in Montreal
03-25-2013, 05:15 AM
... have done that in the past for various speakers.

Ruediger

Hi Ruediger. What where the results? Positive, negative? Considerig that JBL offers no re-surround kit, therefore any attempt at replacingthe surround is an aftermarket operation. So why not try butyl rubber instead if it has the same compliance? "If" is the key word ;)

Ruediger
03-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Hi Ruediger. What where the results? Positive, negative? Considerig that JBL offers no re-surround kit, therefore any attempt at replacingthe surround is an aftermarket operation. So why not try butyl rubber instead if it has the same compliance? "If" is the key word ;)

I have the info from their former website when they were "speakerboerse.de". I once talked with them about replacements for Bose 901 surrounds. I don't know whether they have done TS params measurements or not.

Ruediger

badman
03-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Usually the rubber will add more damping (lower Qms, and Qts accordingly) while adding some mass, so in some cases it will be mostly alignment-neutral. It shouldn't be a major problem, but will no longer be a 2245 (duh).

If used purely as a sub, not a biggie. Higher up it will change the F.R. a bit.