PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning of Grill Cloth Question

Oldmics
09-30-2004, 07:47 PM
Got a Tannoy speaker with brown cloth in a tight weave.It has some mold?? or fungus spots on the material.

Any cleaning suggestions?

Oldmics

Mr. Widget
09-30-2004, 09:10 PM
Shouldn't you be on the "Ask Heloise" forum for that one?

Widget

Art J.
09-30-2004, 09:19 PM
I have cleaned speaker cloth with mold on it by using
stuff called CLOVERDALE that sells in Stop&Shop.
It kills mold and mildew without any harsh bleech
chemicals like all the others. Pretty handy to have around.
Its been color safe on everything I tried.
Read about it here.
http://www.cloverdaleinc.com/cloverclean.htm

Then my wife suggested spraying it with a fabric freshener
called Fabreze to take out any old smell.
She was right.

Oldmics
09-30-2004, 09:43 PM
:scold: Bad Widget

Oldmics
09-30-2004, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Art J,I will give that spray a try and report back.

Oldmics

stang4u
04-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Not sure on mold, but for stains, general cleaning and touch ups, I have used Tuff Stuff and it works great. Aerosol spray ( very little is needed ). Dries in minutes Can be found in any automotive parts store. Spray it on, leave on for 20 seconds, wipe if off with any micro fiber cloth which I have used to wipe the grille fabric. As any cleansing Item associated with fabric, test in a small area first. Though on the fabric of the L100t3's it works great.........!!

hjames
04-27-2014, 09:26 AM
Z O M B I E Thread ---
you have replied to a 10 year old thread,
and brought it back from the dead!!

Not sure on mold, but for stains, general cleaning and touch ups, I have used Tuff Stuff and it works great. Aerosol spray ( very little is needed ). Dries in minutes Can be found in any automotive parts store. Spray it on, leave on for 20 seconds, wipe if off with any micro fiber cloth which I have used to wipe the grille fabric. As any cleansing Item associated with fabric, test in a small area first. Though on the fabric of the L100t3's it works great.........!!

stang4u
04-27-2014, 01:07 PM
I noticed that after I replied........LOL New here....... cut me some slack.........:)

ratitifb
04-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Z O M B I E Thread ---
and brought it back from the dead!!life goes on:hurray:

Ed Zeppeli
04-27-2014, 02:41 PM
Z O M B I E Thread ---
and brought it back from the dead!!

Which, IMO is not a bad thing on this forum. There's tonnes of rich info buried here that deserves resurrection.

SEAWOLF97
04-27-2014, 03:52 PM

thanks for resurrecting this , I missed it first time around. You can still learn something from old threads , if you want to.

Mr. Widget
04-27-2014, 04:03 PM
thanks for resurrecting this , I missed it first time around. You can still learn something from old threads , if you want to.I agree... you usually can't expect to connect with the earlier posters in the thread as often times the member is no longer active, but there are many older or even ancient threads that are still very relevant.

Widget

audiomagnate
04-27-2014, 04:45 PM
I agree... you usually can't expect to connect with the earlier posters in the thread as often times the member is no longer active, but there are many older or even ancient threads that are still very relevant.

Widget

And it's also interesting to see how some long time members seem to have mellowed a bit with age.

grumpy
04-27-2014, 05:50 PM
lol... or change of meds.

My experience has been to spray or treat the entire cloth, vs spot treating.
Not necessarily soaking the whole thing, but spot cleaning can be tricky
in not leaving a "clean spot". Even feathering out the treatment a bit can help
in this regard.

Art J.
04-27-2014, 09:30 PM
Got an automatic e-mail saying that the thread was activated. I'm still alive but haven't posted in ages.
Still using Cloverdale and it still works. Recognize a lot of names around here and good to see you all................ Art

hjames
04-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Its just a comment -
not a slam, and no insult implied -
hopefully a chuckle and a smile for all who read.
:D

audiomagnate
04-28-2014, 07:47 AM
lol... or change of meds.

My experience has been to spray or treat the entire cloth, vs spot treating.
Not necessarily soaking the whole thing, but spot cleaning can be tricky
in not leaving a "clean spot". Even feathering out the treatment a bit can help
in this regard.

Yep, unless you treat the whole thing you get a dark wavy line - I think of dust/smoke - where the treated part meets the untreated part.