PDA

View Full Version : JBL L220's acquired; polarity question.

Belarathon
08-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Hello:

I recently picked these up for practically nothing on the local Online ad listings. All they needed was a replacement LE5-9 for the original, which had voice coil rub, and a fresh re-foaming of the woofers and passive radiators. Here they are after all issues were addressed:

My question for you is this:

Both loudspeakers had been wired with both the woofers and tweeters out of phase with the midrange. The midranges have spade connectors; pretty hard to screw that up. But as you know, the woofers and tweeters have push type fasteners. In this case, the black-striped leads were connected to the black colored push fasteners. However, I've downloaded all of the literature on this speaker that I could find, and JBL diagrams clearly show the black-striped wires connected to the red fasteners. I've gone with the JBL diagram and connected the black-striped wires to positive on the drivers, but I'm wondering if there would be any legitimate reason why they would have been hooked up backwards (beyond that of someone thinking the converse about the wiring code)? I thought maybe someone had the (not so) bright idea of rewiring the speakers, but that doesn't appear to be the case, and the crossovers appear to be unmolested...at least unmodified.

Any insight, experts?

Thank you!

Audiobeer
08-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Black striped wires go to the black Terminals. Once you get it squared away they should sound pretty damn good!

Belarathon
08-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Black striped wires go to the black Terminals. Once you get it squared away they should sound pretty damn good!

Thanks Mark. Am I reading the following wrong then?

Aha! I just looked at the crossover diagram - you are correct sir. Thanks again.

EDIT:

Once you get it squared away they should sound pretty damn good!

Much more cohesive sounding!

Audiobeer
08-20-2012, 05:53 PM
What are you driving them with? I remember when I had my Discos I started out driving them with a Pioneer SX-1050 thinking I was set. Later I got my hands on a a real nice Mcintosh and was amazed at the difference what your driving them with can make. Although the speakers are effecient they do respond to power!

Belarathon
08-20-2012, 08:00 PM
What are you driving them with? I remember when I had my Discos I started out driving them with a Pioneer SX-1050 thinking I was set. Later I got my hands on a a real nice Mcintosh and was amazed at the difference what your driving them with can make. Although the speakers are effecient they do respond to power!

I'm driving with a NAD 2600, rated at 150wpc @ 8ohms. It's a Power Envelope type so it should be able to deliver much higher transient peaks. Maybe I'll get another and bridge them! :)

I know what you mean about power waking them up. They're kind of lifeless until my volume control gets up around the 1 o'clock position, and then they just start coming into their own.

Cheers,

C